Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may just be the time change and thinking about the thread we had going at the end of last week about having dinner and a pipe with someone famous, but I had the strangest dream about kicking back and smoking a bowl with Gregory Pease. No, it wasn’t as disturbing as a real life dinner I had with Bob Dylan, where he ruined my enjoyment of ever listening to his music again, by being an arrogant asshat. It was just a pleasant discussion (maybe a little on the darkside) on pipes with the GLPer that lives in my head from reading his posts and tins on tobacco and pipes. Maybe, it was even more enjoyable than having dinner with the real Pease, I don’t know. Heck, at least the real Pease didn’t have to endure me in return, lol.
I was smoking some Haddos Delight in the dream, and I remember the tanginess and the aroma of liquor and plums hanging in the air. In real life discussions in the lounge at The Briary with friends, we’ve often discussed Haddos and its intriguing name. Making puns, and in general coming to the conclusion that Haddo must have been the name of Mr. Pease’s cat. My cat tends to like perique quite a bit, and often rubs against my VaPer pipes on the rack sending them into the floor. But, my cat’s name is Hemingway, …but we all call him Papa.
I think in real life, my first question to Pease would be whether or not he really sold his soul at the crossroads to gain his ability to blend tobaccos like a magician. But, then my mind was reeling this morning. I did a search for Haddo using a couple of academic search engines, and right off the bat, I got my main lead as to who this Haddo is. The first character is from a novel called The Magician by William Somerset. Hmmm, magician…. Synapsis spinning, making connections… Aleister Crowley liked perique soaked in rum, or was it Rasputin? Weren’t they magicians or prophets or something? So a search for the author of the novel and those two crazy people returned a snippet about the novel by Somerset being about Aleister Crowley, in which Haddo was a characterization of Crowley. To make it even more succinct, Crowley had published a review of this book under the name Haddo.
Now, I confess to knowing very little about Aleister Crowley. Wasn’t he a crazy cult leader of sorts? Did he make people buy tennis shoes and wait for UFOs? Or, did he kill some Russian royal family or something? I confuse myself sometimes. But, I do know that every time someone mentions smoking straight perique, someone will spout that Aleister Crowley smoked straight perique, suggesting that it will make you crazy.
Now, I’ve smoked straight perique. It’s not as mind blowing as people say. To me, it’s like cinnamon or jalapenos. Just a little brings out natural taste of the other foods in the mix, a lot more it makes them both spicier, and by itself it just overloads the senses. Straight perique fills all of my taste receptors till it just doesn't taste good. Like a mouth full of cinnamon, but no hallucinations, prophetic revelations, nor feelings of special powers …just bleh. However, in a perique forward like Haddos Delight, it really tingles on the tongue but there is enough Cavendish and Virginias to make a dance floor for the perique to really swing. But, a far cry from straight perique soaked in rum, delivering prophetic visions while lying in the floor with a massive bleeding tongue bitten by the fermented Voodoo of leaf of St. James.
So, this brings up other questions that I might ask Mr. Pease. Was this the reference you intended for this blend? Did I hit the nail on the head? What about this aforementioned Crossroads? Do you know the whereabouts of the Grand Duchess of Russia? Have you ever met Ozzy Osborne or bitten the head off of a bat?

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
I've always understood the blend name to be a reference to Crowley, though I suppose Mr. Pease is the only one who knows the answer.
Regarding the blend, it is certainly excellent, and when the planets are aligned, can deliver a magical (or is it magick?) smoke...

Jan 8, 2013
Crowley was the leader of a magical order known as The Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, a serious occultist who founded Thelema, a semi-religion/magical system. Incorrectly labeled a devil worshipper, he is partially resposible for the resurgence of folk magic systems and various types of modern witchcraft. Humorously, I mentioned his name in the dinner-date thread as well. Hmm...

Jan 8, 2013
And I believe Robert Plant bought his house...
Anyway, definitely a blend I want to try, thanks for the cool, intriguing post cosmic.

All I knew of Crowley was that Ozzy had a song about him, so I figured that was enough to make him evil, LOL.
As I did a little more looking I found that others had connected the dots to the source of the name of this blend to some degree, but I don't think anyone made the connections to Crowley writing a review of the book in the name of Haddo as well. So, I probably just rediscovered the link, but I felt all code-breaker when I figured it out for myself, LOL.

Jan 8, 2013
Its enough to spark my curiousity, now I have got to try the blend. Very cool stuff, Im glad you broke the code, lol, gave me something cool to ponder over today as well.

Jan 8, 2013
Ah, and correction, it was Jimmy Page who bought Crowley's house in Scotland. See, guitar skills like that really are unnatural.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
Once on a Friday night when I had nothing better to do, I spent a few hours perusing the old alt.smokers.pipes archives. I recall reading something about the name of Haddo's, but I can't recall it right now and can't find it when searching.

Jan 8, 2013
Glad to hear it. Try playing the guitar solos backwards at half speed while smoking the Haddos in the dark. One candle, thats it. Rofl.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Too much to read lols. The blend one of the finest especially with a year on it. The nightmares are from the top quality Perique. The OZ owns Crowely!
Craig

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
I like Haddos Delight, but find no humor or fascination whatsoever with Crowley.

A deranged lunatic who practiced child sacrifice. No thanks.

First off, I knew nothing about Crowley before this, except that he liked perique, as it keeps coming up on the forums. That said, I just did a little search because that alarmed me, Oldtoby, but it turns out to just be a myth, as in HERE. I think he was just an Illusionist/magician that created a persona that has made imaginations go wild to sell tickets. But, I am no expert in this character.

That said, I just love Haddo's Delight, no matter who Haddo is. :wink:

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
<p>Interesting discussion on the Haddo's label especially since just 3 days ago I popped a tin that's been cellared since 2004. To say that its magnificent would be an understatement.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
Escio, so I may not have the clues correct? I'm feeling fairly certain about the connection to Crowley, being a perique heavy blend. If not, the coincidence is uncanny.
It was something to do with that, but at a few removes, if you follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.