PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I finally found a GLP blend I really really like.
I bought a tin of Haddo's about 4 or 5 years ago and smoked a few bowls. At the time I wasn't crazy about it so I jarred it up and put it on a shelf. I loved the smell but found it a bit boring.
Yesterday I broke the jar out and loaded up a bowl in a dublin and it was pretty damn good.
I guess I need to start adding this to my cellar. Do you guys usually buy the 8oz or 16oz tins and break it down into smaller mason jars or just keep it in the original tin?

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I age everything in the original tin, can or foil bag. I've opened a couple after ten years and the moisture content was still excellent. Puffing on Old Joe Krantz right now that came out of a can after aging ten years.
Pax

I have bought the half pound tins and then re-jarred them, so that I wouldn't have to deal with smoking it all, as what is left in the tin dries out to powder. Now, I just buy the regular tins. Yeh, it's more expensive. But, I will never have as much of this stuff cellar'd, because Greg refuses to give us bulk, and having a huge aged tin to deal with in ten or so years.

Which is too bad, because I sure would love to have pounds and pounds of this stuff.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've been aging a tin of Haddo's (and a number of other blends) about two years in this case. I'm intrigued, but it seems it is often not an instant hit. I'm giving it every chance. I like a wide variety of blends, so likely I'll find it interesting, whether it is a favorite or not. I've not had a big charge out of GLP blends, as I have with some C&D, McClellands, MacBarens, Iwan Ries, Peretti's and others, but I've only tried a few GLPs. He certainly has a mass of admirers of his blends.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Hmmm Michael. Buying in 2oz cans certainly saves the time from having to open the tins and jar it.
Yeah MSO I don't know what it is. In general I don't like GLP blends. I find them bland. Is it that I don't have a refined palate? Certainly possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.