PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I have often thought that many of Gregs blends were.....a bit unfinished when new and I always saw that as a negative. Given the uncertainty of the future of the availability of some blends I think this may be a good thing.
For instance I love Chelsea Morning but I find it really hits it's stride after 5 years in the cellar.The same goes for Union Square and Quite Nights. Since all three of these are post 2007 I am going to slowly stock up with the knowledge that they will all be as good or better than they are today.
All of the sudden a negative becomes a positive.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Wow, that's the power of positive thinking, there. I'm thinking it's more like, "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how'd you like the play?".

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I see your strategy I suppose, but why not just stock up on post-2007 blends that you like fresh and that you might like even more with some age? I guess it's a win-win either way if your intent is to tuck whatever you buy into the back of the cellar to forget for 5+ years, but again...why not let that be something you enjoy straight off the delivery truck?

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I have a boatload of tobacco I can enjoy today. Chelsea Morning s really the only Pease brand I enjoy fresh, and even that I prefer with some time on it.
Conventional wisdom states that Lat blends don't age well. I find Gregs Lat blends age very well.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
And if the proposed legislation is altered, the lack of age is once again a negative? Why bother? It's ok to simply admit the Pease/C&D release blends are in many cases obviously immature compared to some other blenders.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Overall, I'd stock up (and I am stocking up) especially on blends that are post 2007 from Pease, Std. Tobacco of PA and Seattle Pipe Club. At the same time I am slightly optimistic that that silly date will be changed.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Jeff, folks may like them as is, but that doesn't mean the blends are fully matured or even shelf ready in some cases, relative to McClelland's, for example.
And just to show that I"m not biased against Pease or C&D, I just bought 10 lbs of JKP. Great stuff, but it's immaturity jumps right out as soon as that first whiff of ammonia hits.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I surmise I aged my Westminster a bit too long and the Latakia faded enough to leave the blend really mild. I still smoke it with pleasure, but it is more a kind of resting blend than a rousing English blend. Compared to Nightcap or Billy Budd, it is very quiet. I am speaking of GLP Westminster, not the old Sutliff blend that is still around some places.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I'm quite a big fan of some of the GLP blends as they come, if they get even better with age - sounds great!

Status
Not open for further replies.