PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirbogglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2011
Good afternoon all,
I've noticed a glossiness at the top of the chamber of the two briar pipes I smoke the most. Nothing on the bowl, just the upper part of the chamber furthest away from the shank. I'm sure its from the flames of my zippo, old boy and matches, because I make sure the baccy is well charred before my first light. But my questions are:

a) Is it a normal occurrence?

b) Is this considered damage to the chamber?
Some of my smoking habits:

- I smoke about a bowl a week. Big pipes, a bowl lasts over an hr.

- I make sure that the flame isn't near the chamber for more than 3 seconds at a time while charring and lighting.

- Average # of relights after char and first light, 1.

- I don't smoke when it's windy.

- I give them a quick once over with a pipe cleaner about 4hrs after finishing a bowl, then again 2 days and 4 days after.
Thank you in advance for your response! :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I am understanding the description, this is usual. It's why I don't use lighters. Some smokers get it down

so they don't char the brim, but I'd rather just use a match. You can do some charring that way, but it is

a much softer flame, and you have far better control, so the damage will be less. I don't worry about it, or

I would avoid smoking all my more expensive pipes, but I bought them to smoke.

sirbogglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2011
Thank you for the info mso!

For some odd reason I seem to have more control over the flame on my old boy than I do with any match I've tried. I agree that the flame from a match is the softest of them all. I just seem to have no control of it once the flame is 1/4 of the way down the stick and beyond. The flame just gets bigger and wider on me to the point that it is bigger than the chamber I am trying to get it into. I've even burned a little part on top of the bowl of one of my most expensive pipes while charring because the flame of a match was too big. I'll keep trying though. :puffy:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Moisten the rim of you pipe with a bit o spit before you apply fire. This will buy you a bit more lighting time. Keep you flame a half inch or so above the rim while lighting. this will also help avoid charring the walls of the chamber.

Status
Not open for further replies.