PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm stuck with glasses frames on my face. Actually I don't mind them. Can't wear contacts that irritate allergies, and I'm just adverse to poking my finger in (toward) my eyes. I think it's good if you can wear 'em, but I can't. So every few years -- and I'm overdo but have an appointment -- I have to re-up my prescription and usually get new frames. Don't put new wine in old wine skins. You have to analyze all that -- I have an oval face and need rectangular frames large enough to accommodate progressive lenses. Last time, about four years ago, I happened on a Danish designed pair, way over priced, tortoise shell but with nifty color patches inside the frames and at the hinges; my wife gifted me with most of the cost. Now with a new prescription coming up, I guess I'll get new but probably more reasonably priced frames. I did metal rims for too long, aviators even, and now with progressive lenses, I think plastic provides a better base for the glass. With grayer hair -- I like to think the brown still shows -- and a nearly white mustache, I'm thinking maybe gray or clear frame with a dash of gray, or maybe back to tortoise shell. Hmmm. I'm not exactly stricken with fashion sense. I know my wife will make this decision mostly, and I'm grateful for that since she has to look at me most. Any notions or ideas on this? It's my challenge, I just mean any general principles? Too often I feel like I get twenty minutes to decide and live with the result for a year or two or more. I rarely have more than one set of frames, two with sunglasses, so I like to get it right. The sunglasses I'll just refit the frame since they get regular but less use.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
I know my wife will make this decision mostly,
I think you answered your own question. After all, when I'm wearing them I can't see but the wife has to look at them all day.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
chasing', yeah I like a more minimal frame too. I did that when my prescription was simpler. With progressives, they build in trifocals in each lens, without dividing lines, which is optically really cool. But even today -- and they're getting better -- the lens can get pretty thick at the edges. Also, my frameless tended to pop out more. The cost of progressives is pretty rich, so I don't want that. The full frames are usually pretty sturdy and keep the lenses in place. But I agree, if you can do them, half frame or frameless -- the less frame the better -- is the way to go. I've been through many iterations. But in keeping with your comment, I'm at least considering clear frames, if they don't look too washed out. The Navy used to issue nearly clear gray-tinged frames, and the only objection to them was, they were completely associated with being Navy issue. I might try a civvie version of those, to lean toward "less is more." Yeah, saintpeter, my wife has far better sense of these things than I do, too; sometimes when we banter back and forth we come up with better ideas that either of us would have done starting out.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
I'm coming up to my biannual test too. I wear bifocals myself and much prefer a solid colour plastic frame - the current frame is on my avatar. Partly it's because of cost - the price of more designer style frames is quite obscene and to be honest I am not all that bothered, provided the frames are comfortable and will stand up to the occasional abuse (like being sat on!)
Mike

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
There is a company that goes by the name ic! Berlin. They have all sorts of thin and very light weight spring steel frames. They're kind of pricey in the $200 to $600 range. Their claim to fame is frames with no screws that are damn near indestructible. They are screwless but don't fall asleep with the glasses on because they are absolutely not indestructible. They do have nice frames and I wouldn't hesitate to shell out another few $100 for another pair.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
didache, yeah the pricing is a racket. You know production on these frames is ten or twenty bucks max, and usually much less. It's all production line in low-cost labor countries, and they're light weight for shipping, thousands to a shipping case. It's a real racket for sure. I think there are several big producers who keep the prices high, and then various other brand products slap their labels on frames to dip into the revenue stream. We stopped by one optical shop and the frames started at about $300. Boy, back to Costco and Walmart, and none too reasonable there either. Still, they are on your face most of the time, so I usually break for more than I'd want to spend. Yours are good looking frames, plenty large in field of view, but not so large as to look owlish, which is another thing I don't want.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'666, yes, I started looking at titanium. I might try some on, if they're available. I'm thinking of a more moderate price, but sometimes shopping high end gives a better sense when you look back down market, like trying on the most expensive suit before selecting one in your price range. Another aspect is comfort. Boy, if frames chaff, they're not good and burrow little spots in your nose or behind your ears.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I don't know why you don't use your old frames if you really like them. Unless something is wrong with them it shouldn't be a problem. I've got a pair of Persol frames I got over 20 years ago and am on my third set of lenses in them. I also have some nice German titanium frames that are on a second set of lenses in them. If the frames are of decent quality and you like them, keep on using them. I did get some cheap Walmart frames that have lasted a couple of years, but aren't nearly as comfortable as my old frames.
All I can do is wish you good luck picking out some new frames. See how they fit as well as how they look. Luck is when the frames you try on for 5 min. end up feeling right for 5 hrs. :wink:

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Well, a pipe guy should check out any product line calling themselves Briar:
Briar Frames
jay-roger.jpg

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I used Warby Parker for mine. If you can manage to upload a pic of your face, you can try on any pair virtually online, but they have a great delivery system that allows you to try on up to 6 different frames at home, free of charge. You just pick the ones you want and send them back, along with your prescription. The at-home try-on is free and easy -- you just put the frames back in the box and affix the shipping label they send you. Very convenient.
Most frames, with ordinary lenses, run about $100. Bifocals or progressives are probably a little more, but the frames are as stylish and cheap as you'll find in a store.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
BTW, I like thicker, more obvious frames. My thinking is, if you have to wear glasses (as I do), you might as well make the most of them insofar as they enhance your face rather than try to minimize them with wire or even wireless frames.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The "briar" frames jay links to don't quite say briar to me, but I do like the tortoise shell ones. $300 for progressive lenses and next to lightest weight.
I've had good luck with Warby Parker, and while cheaper than my local folks, aren't low end.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Just checked, progressive lenses start at $295 at Warby Parker, but that's with the frames.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I wear a contact in my left eye to enhance my distant vision. So, with two eyes at distant, I now wear reading glasses. I don't have to look at them, others do, so I don't put a lot of effort in frame selection. There was a time I was concerned, then came my wife and I let her be concerned. Now... I just go with what's cheap, doesn't have feathers and isn't a pastel.
So, my advice, unsought as it was, is please the wife!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The trouble with "real men don't wear glasses is," they try not to wear glasses, and decide they can't wear contacts for one reason or another, and then they don't see everything they need to see, so they end up draping the "reading" glasses around their necks which can look silly and cultivates a nervous gesture pulling them on and off. So real or not, you gotta see.

Status
Not open for further replies.