PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
G.L. Pease Triple Play
This beautiful plug tobacco contains layers of Bright VA, Red VA, Perique and Dark Fired Kentucky.
I've found it best to cut slices as thin as possible and give it a few weeks open in the tin. Fresh, the Dark Fired overwhelms the flavor profile and the tobacco has a sort of sourish taste.
But well dried (not crispy dry, just aired a bit), this stuff is magnificent. While the tin note still says "SMOKEY AND SOUR," the actual smoke is quite delicate and fragrant, yet full flavored. About mid-bowl, I often get notes of chocolate brownie, along with the usual VA flavors. However, I've also noticed a very fragrant, almost Yenidje-like aroma, both in the smoke and in the room note. To be sure, there are no orientals in this blend, but the sweet, bright VA's are something special, indeed. Much like GL Pease Cumberland, another VA with Dark Fired Kentucky, the freshly opened tin is a bit overpowering, but after being open for a while it is delicious.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
That's interesting, roth. Thanks for adding those observations about ODF. I haven't tried it, but what you say definitely chimes with my experience with other DFK blends.
Though come to think of it, the Lakeland flakes with DFK don't have the same sour pungency as these others. I wonder if it's because they're using a lot of fire-cured tobaccos from Africa, which may be milder than the hardwood-smoked Kentucky darks.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I also had the same experience with ODF I did enjoy it fresh, but the VA's became the star after a few weeks in the tin. The DF still provides a strong backbone but the rich sweetness of the VA became more pronounced and its a more balanced smoke now. You can definitely tell they use very well aged VA in ODF as it has had time to sit the flakes have developed nice crystals and have dried to perfection. The tin I'm smoking is less than a year old.

Dec 24, 2012
For my money, there is no tinned tobacco that delivers more value for the dollar than ODF.
pitchfork - as I said here recently, triple play to me is a really underrated tobacco. Few talk about it. I have a bunch in the cellar. I enjoy the stuff fresh but have noticed it gets even better the longer it sits. I think a couple more years of aging will make TP just phenomenal.

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
I love JackKnife, but I only like Triple Play, but I had expected my reactions to be the opposite.
The last tin of TP I had was gone in about two weeks, so the last of it hadn't even been opened as long as Pitchfork suggests before smoking any of it.
Based on this, it's on my list to try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.