Tags:  No tags yet. 

GL Pease tobaccos

(51 posts)
  1. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just ordered the following:

Cumberland: A robust blend of American tobaccos, featuring a rare and exquisite aged Kentucky dark-fired tobacco, beautifully complimenting the variety of Virginias and the pinch of Louisiana Perique. Sip slowly, and enjoy the lingering notes of its harmonious symphony of flavors. From the Original Series.

Stratford: Virginias and perique, enticing, nuanced and delicately sweet. The interplay of sugar and spice will delight the lover of this time-honored combination. Sip the smoke slowly to extract the greatest enjoyment! From the Classic Collection.

from glpease.com

Cumberland led me in because of the inclusion of this rare and especially good dark-fired Kentucky, and the fact that is comprised of only American tobaccos, which I thought would be interesting.

I chose Stratford because I don't think I've tried a Perique blend yet, or at least not one with Perique being the main focus of the blend.

At the risk of getting slightly off topic I was going to purchase (but probably will still soon) MacBaren HH Acadian Perique to try out a Perique-heavy blend.

Anyhow, if anyone can say "Those are good" or "those did not agree with me" that'd be great, and please do discuss GL Pease's blends so we can all understand them a little better.

“ Rest satisfied with doing well, and leave others to talk of you as they please. ”
    — Pythagoras
    Posted 7 years ago #
  2. admin

Kevin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

Greg makes some really amazing stuff.

The guy is a freakin' Renaissance Man, but I won't get into details and embarrass him. I'll stick to tobaccos.

I haven't smoked all of his tobaccos yet, but I should add that to my "To Do" list.

Here are the ones I've smoked ...

Barbary Coast: A unique blend of top-grade cube-cut burley, matured red Virginia and fine Louisiana Perique. A kiss of fine brandy, and an exclusive process polishes the blend to a perfect finish. Satsifying and rich, with hints of black walnut, dark chocolate, and dried fruits.

Yum. Smoked this during the slow smoke contest at the 2010 Chicago pipes show. It's really good, and unique in that it's the only Pease blend with a topping.

Chelsea Morning: A traditional style blend of bright and red virginias, orientals, a whisper of Cyprus Latakia, and just a hint of perique. From the Old London Series.

Delicious! My review of Chelsea Morning.

Haddo's Delight: A stout blend of Virginias, burleys, and long-cut perique. This full-bodied blend has remained a best-seller since its introduction in 2000. From the Original Series.

Smoked this in Denmark with Sykes Wilford, the owner of SmokingPipes.com. It is quite tasty, and gave me a little buzz, which was fine since I was kind of "on vacation" while on a business trip at the same time.

JackKnife Plug: The first entry in the New World Collection, and our first plug. JackKnife is a stout blend of dark and bright virginia tobaccos, and Kentucky dark-fired leaf, pressed and aged, then cut into bars. A versatile tobacco. Slice it thick or thin, rub the slices into ribbons or a shag, or even cut it as a cube-cut, according to your preference.

An amazingly unique and wonderful tasting tobacco, which I reviewed here.

Lagonda - Mmm, mmm, mmm, mmm, mmm, mmm, mmm, mmm, mmm, mmm, mmm!

Man! This is soooo damn good. Here is my review.

Maltese Falcon: Originally conceived as a replacement for the old Raven's Wing, Maltese Falcon quickly evolved into something bigger. It's a rich, bold blend, with excellent body, a beguiling sweetness, and solid structure, ideal for those who enjoy a sophisticated, yet comfortable and refined English-style mixture.

This is the first G.L. Pease tobacco I fell in love with. If Maltese Falcon was a chick, I would marry it. Here is my review of Maltese Falcon.

Quiet Nights: The second entry in the Old London series - a rich, English style flake of virginias, orientals, Cyprus Latakia and Acadian perique. A wonderful tobacco for contemplative moments.

To me, this is like smoking candy. It goes amazingly well with Fonseca Port.

Triple Play - A rich, unique, wonderful, must-try blend. Here is my review of Triple Play.

Union Square: First released in June, 2009, Union Square is the first 100% virginia tobacco to be developed by G.L. Pease. No sugars, sauces, or flavourings are used in the blend - just pure virginia goodness.

This is also like smoking candy, but much lighter, and completely different than Quiet Nights. What's really cool is that I first smoked Union Square in Union Square when I went to San Francisco in June 2010. It was so good that I smoked it every day for 4 days and killed the tin.

I also set off the fire alarm ... but that's all I'm telling of that story.

My Union Square Review.

Wesminster: Introduced January, 2007, Wesminster is a rich, balanced English style mixture of Cyprus Latakia, fine oriental tobaccos, and rich, ripe Virginia leaf. This one is “Essentially English.” From the Heirloom Collection.

In a word: Amazing. If you love English blends, this is a must-have.

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 7 years ago #
  3. mluyckx

Belgian Mick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll find out soon. Just ordered Haddo's delight, JKP, Embarcadero and Fillmore. I was waffling to get Union square.. shoulda coulda woulda

Left on my shortlist of GL Peases to try are Cumberland, Stratford,Barbary Coast, Cairo and Telegraph Hill.

So.. Zanthal... I expect a full report on those two you got Unless Mr. Kevin would grant us a review....

As Dr.Evil says.. "Need the info man.. need the info"

"The fact is, squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It's the poor man's friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth."
    -"Sam Slick, the clockmaker" aka T.C.Haliburton
    Posted 7 years ago #
  4. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I placed an order that included a tin of Key Largo. Ever since I read what the members here had to say about it I was on a path to purchase.

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 7 years ago #
  5. pawpaw

pawpaw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love Cumberland beware it does have a nice Nic kick

Posted 7 years ago #
  6. jameral

jameral

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm about to place an order that will include Odyssey. This will be my first GLP blend and I'm looking forward to it.

Know your limits but always push the envelope.

I don't trust air I can't see.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  7. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Does Pease make any aromatics? I briefly scanned the list of his blends a while back and I couldn't see any aromatics. All I smoke is aromatics.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 7 years ago #
  8. admin

Kevin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

@lordofthepiperings

This would be the closest to an aromatic.

Barbary Coast: A unique blend of top-grade cube-cut burley, matured red Virginia and fine Louisiana Perique. A kiss of fine brandy, and an exclusive process polishes the blend to a perfect finish. Satsifying and rich, with hints of black walnut, dark chocolate, and dried fruits.

Posted 7 years ago #
  9. dylan793

Dylan

Login to Send PM

@zanthal Cumberland was definitely a winner for me. I have a small review of it floating around on here somewhere. You really can't go wrong with Mr. Pease's blends. I've had 3 so far, and im absolutely pleased with all of them. Working my way through his whole catalogue is on my list of things to do

Posted 7 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I have tried his Haddo's Delight, Barbary Coast and the JackKnife Plug and love all of 'em. Haddo's also seems to do a nice job when I am in need of a nic fix.

Can't smoke the Lat - but definitely want to try all of his blends that I can.

Posted 7 years ago #
  11. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have tins of Quiet Nights, Chelsea Morning, and Meridian sitting in the cellar, but haven't opened any of them. Im trying to smoke through the three open tins I have at the moment and let everything else age a few months before I try it out. I am really looking forward to smoking them though.

Posted 7 years ago #
  12. gecko13

gecko13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I finally tried some Haddo's Delight while I was on travel last week and I was pleasantly surprised. I read it cellars well, and gets better with more time on it. With that, I ordered a pound of it this week.

"To Learn Who Rules You, Find Out Who You Can't Criticize" Voltaire

"The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected..."
    Posted 7 years ago #
  13. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Alright, two votes Cumberland, cool.

And Mick I will be sure to.

Posted 7 years ago #
  14. hnryclay

hnryclay

Login to Send PM

I am a fan of Charring Cross... It is a straight ahead Balkan with Cyprian Latakia. Very smooth, cool burning blend.

Posted 7 years ago #
  15. batdemon

batdemon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really like Haddo's Delight as well.

@zanthal I would recommend McClelland's St. James Woods for a nice Perique blend.

@lordofthepiperings While it is not strictly a GLP blend, he did collaborate with C&D on English Chocolate, which is a wonderful blend that tastes as good as it smells.

Posted 7 years ago #
  16. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I forgot to say, thanks Kevin that's a great rundown.

Posted 7 years ago #
  17. glpease

glpease

Lord Latakia

Login to Send PM

Many thanks for the kind words and support, gentlemen. It means a lot!

Posted 7 years ago #
  18. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Many thanks for the kind words and support, gentlemen. It means a lot!

No Greg, many thanks to you for being the man, tobacco blender, and all around pipe guru that you are. You make me proud to be a pipe smoker.

Posted 7 years ago #
  19. admin

Kevin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

I love Greg!

Posted 7 years ago #
  20. jcsnaps

jcsnaps

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really enjoy his blends also, and the "title" he so richly deserves.

Posted 7 years ago #
  21. antipodesman

antipodesman

Login to Send PM

Thanks for Lagonda.

Posted 7 years ago #
  22. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really need to do some GLP blends. I'm not a Va/Per fan, so will avoid those, but am ready to try about anything else.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 7 years ago #
  23. nbpiper

nbpiper

Login to Send PM

So far I've only tried Jackknife Plug, Haddo's Delight, and Abingdon. Loved the first two, but I didn't really like Abingdon. Have jarred that one up and will try it again sometime in the future. Looking forward to trying either Charring Cross, Westminister, or Odyssey next.

Posted 7 years ago #
  24. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got my Cumberland and Stratford ... but I can't breathe through my nose (head cold). I refuse to try a new blend without being able to properly use my sniffer.

My report will be along soon, though.

Posted 7 years ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Chelsea morning is absolutely fantastic stuff.

JKP, I just tried this for the first time about a week and a half ago. I compile a list for a huge order every year. This is going to make that list as a 10 tin buy. Fantastic stuff. I have not tried the ready rubbed.

THis is the extent of my G.L. Pease tastings. I will certainly try more as I come across them though. This Haddo's Delight is next.

Posted 7 years ago #
  26. igloo

igloo

Beware Trouble Maker

Login to Send PM

Picadilly is a super all day smoke while not a latika bomb like some of the others it is very complex and offers the smoker a sensory overload with each puff . It is often overshadowed by the heavier english blends in the line up . It is especially good on the patio with coffee on a sunny Sunday morning before the demands of the day take hold .

“There was an awful suspicion in my mind that I'd finally gone over the hump, and the worst thing about it was that I didn't feel tragic at all, but only weary, and sort of comfortably detached.”
    Posted 7 years ago #
  27. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Okay my nose cleared, and I stuffed and puffed some Stratford in my Doc Grabow Royalton.

Interesting experience to be sure! Now I'm certain I've never had a VA/Per before tonight.

This blend has a distinct slightly sweet spice flavor, and somehow manages to be smooth while also having a fair amount of body.

Posted 7 years ago #
  28. dburrows

Chris

Login to Send PM

@zanthal Glad your sinuses are clearing up - going through a head cold myself that started just as I pulled out some SG Navy Flake to dry a bit and enjoy last night. I jarred it up... maybe tonight or tomorrow, guess we'll see how that goes.

Westminster. Westminster. Westminster. I can't say enough about it. I may start hoarding the stuff because I fear a day when it's no longer available.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else. -- C. S. Lewis, Theologian, Philosopher, Professor, Pipe smoker.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  29. ohin3

ohin3

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love stratford. The sweetness is a soft caramelized brown sugar sweetness and the perique adds all kinds of spice...it is a very nice soft sweet spice kind of tobacco experience. Haven't tried Cumberland yet.

Posted 7 years ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

My congratulations to the members who try Odyssey for the first time That is the smoke of the gods

Posted 7 years ago #
  31. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can recommend Stratford if my description sounds like your kind of tobacco, because this blend does come together well.

I think P&C needs to put together a GL Pease sampler pack

Posted 7 years ago #
  32. terry

terry

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pease order tobacco from me...lol..lol...

Posted 7 years ago #
  33. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pretty pease, yeah I couldn't help but feel that quip coming on eventually, too.

Cumberland, I was not so impressed with. I really don't have much of a basis to compare it to, I found it to have unremarkable, I don't know, typically tobacco taste, without any real complexity.

that's my first impression and I know enough to give it a few more tries before making my mind completely up.

Stratford was miles ahead of Cumberland, to my tastes. I know I could smoke that regularly and be satisfied.

No disrespect whatsoever intended, just my honest and relatively inexperienced assessment.

Posted 7 years ago #
  34. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I first learned about Greg from his writings on this very website. Thanks PipesMagazine! Since I've been attending the "GL Pease Pipe Tobacco School of Higher Learning" I now have my cellar stocked with:

Telegraph Hill (Va - Per)
    Embarcadero (Va - Orientals)
    Cairo (Va - Orientals - Per)
    Fillmore (Va - Per)
    Chelsea Morning (Va - Lat)

I've long been strictly an aromatic smoker but I have really enjoyed broadening my horizons with Greg's great blends. During the summer months I tend to enjoy the Virginias and I keep a pipe dedicated to them. Smoking the GL Pease blends has taught me to pay attention to the subtleties of the blenders art. A couple I hope to try are Key Largo and Barbary Coast.

Posted 7 years ago #
  35. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A new blend from G.L.Pease is aromatic! The Virginia Cream. Looks like another winner from 'the master'.
    TVC

Posted 3 years ago #
  36. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sixteen minutes' review is awfully long, no matter how great a tobacco this is.

I am still happily working my way through about a dozen of his more traditional blends, and will get to this in 2016, or at the West Coast Pipe show next month, whichever comes first!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  37. edgreen

edgreen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Love Gaslight, Abingdon, Caravan, Blackpoint. Love the taste of Haddo's but I can't smoke it because I hate spinning rooms. It reminds me of the Tilt-a-Whirl after carnival hot dogs

Tobacco's a musician.And in a pipe delighteth;It descends in a close,Through the organ of the nose, With a relish that inviteth.
    Barten Holiday
    Posted 3 years ago #
  38. mrbigglesworth

Lee

Login to Send PM

Sixteen minutes' review is awfully long, no matter how great a tobacco this is.

Yes, it's long, but an excellent review. I swear I could smell the tobacco through YouTube! I'll definitely be trying The Virginia Cream!

"I don’t want any of your statistics; I took your whole batch and lit my pipe with it." - Mark Twain
    Posted 3 years ago #
  39. atskywalker

atskywalker

Login to Send PM

@Lee watch this thread http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/october-tobacco-crawl-with-greg-l-pease/page/4

Greg agreed to extend this month's crawl to taste VC so there will be lots of talk about this blend by the creator himself

Cigarettes are the Chicken McNuggets of tobacco!
    Posted 3 years ago #
  40. mrbigglesworth

Lee

Login to Send PM

Thanks, atskywalker!

Posted 3 years ago #
  41. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

Savoring some Westminster.

I like every GLP blend that i have. Westminster, Odyssey, Fillmore, Gaslight, Quiet Nights............

These all get better with age.

Amazing

Posted 4 months ago #
  42. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Login to Send PM

I appreciate Kevin's review of the various Pease offerings. Just what I was looking for.

“I've been treating you with courtesy and respect because that's the way I choose to treat everyone. But never, ever mistake kindness with weakness.”
    ― Louise Penny, Still Life
    Posted 4 months ago #
  43. mityahicks

mityahicks

Login to Send PM

GLP Gaslight is my favorite tobacco. I have many other tins of his waiting in the cellar.

Posted 4 months ago #
  44. User has not uploaded an avatar

foursidedtriangle

Login to Send PM

I have tried Odyssey, Abingdon, Maltese Falcon, Quiet Nights, Meridian, Westminster, Chelsea Morning, Samarra, Sextant. Someday I may rank them from most to least favourite.

Posted 4 months ago #
  45. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I were asked rank Pease tobaccos, it would be an impossible task. He's made at least one blend for every every category on the planet and all have been unique and wonderful, IMO. Frankly, every time I pull a Pease blend from my cellar to smoke, I am in awe of the man with every puff.

Pipestud
    Posted 4 months ago #
  46. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

My favorite remains to be the long gone Mephisto.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 4 months ago #
  47. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

Abingdon, Quit Nights and Chelsea Morning are my favorites so far.

Posted 4 months ago #
  48. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fillmore is dy-no-mite!!

Posted 4 months ago #
  49. timt

timt

Login to Send PM

Just finished off a tin of Fillmore today as a matter of fact. It'd been open for a month and a half and the last of it was getting a bit crispy. Had 2 bowls back to back - it's got a good dose if nic imo. I agree, it's really good stuff.

Tim
    Posted 4 months ago #
  50. User has not uploaded an avatar

foursidedtriangle

Login to Send PM

So back to this, an honest opinion because I don't have the money to buy any in the near future, maybe ever

Odyssey, I think this is a good one but maybe too much latakia which numbs your mouth if you have too much.
    Abingdon, still new to me but first impression is that it finishes better than it starts. Very good for sipping.
    Maltese Falcon, there is sweetness and spice that comes and goes. It is good if a little inconsistent, it could be amazing and it could be barely there.
    Quiet Nights, the tobacco is great when aged. Fresh it is just a bit too sharp and raw.
    Meridian, maybe my favourite use of orientals. I love this one and it is very engaging.
    Westminster, the best balanced of the list. I think the ratio is just right and probably ideal as an everyday smoke.
    Chelsea Morning, it has a solid base and everything is fine but if anything it may be too mild. I think it works in the morning.
    Samarra, I cannot remember much about the taste yet every time I smoke it I am enjoying the experience.
    Sextant, not a fan of the topping. I get enticed into tobaccos that have a topping and almost every time later think it would be better without it.

Posted 4 months ago #
  51. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

Westminster was the first thing I ever smoked besides straight dark-fired burley, and it changed smoking forever for me. Still my favorite English blend by a long shot, and one I never want to be without.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 4 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   spartan99, kilroyjune6, ormazd, cigrmaster, donjgiles, spartacus, alaskanpiper, jaygreen55, chilly65, jaytex969, georged