PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbc417

Lurker
Oct 2, 2015
Notice: Im a very new pipe smoker (4 months) and this is my first pipe tobacco review- frankly maybe too early to start accurately reviewing blends, but hey, can't hurt to have a "beginner" perspective on this blend. I look forward to hearing others opinions.
As I've just stated, I'm new to pipe smoking and as of now, have found I prefer english blends and some aromatics, so I was a little unsure about trying G.L. Pease's new virginia blend (though lightly aromatic). Now onto the review…………..
The tin note is pleasant in my opinion- it does kinda have a carbonated smell to it as you'd expect from cream soda…. however, Ive heard a few people think it smells like spoiled fruit- which I cannot disagree with if you think about it. The tobacco was very pretty looking and was pretty much ready to smoke straight out of the tin. It packs extremely easily- which is nice being a new pipe smoker. It also lights and stays lit very well and burns to a fine white ash. The first third of the bowl was very sweet but not a cased sweet- very natural… the virginia always being main focus. I'm not sure if I'd call this blend an aromatic but it definitely smells more aromatic than your average virginia forward blend. After the first third, the sweetness dies down slightly. Overall I'm surprisingly a fan and while this would not be an everyday smoke for me, I'd definitely keep a jar around in my cellar.
P.S for all you who like using the DGT- on this blend I found it to be truly awful… I would either smoke the bowl full or dump it. Of course thats just my opinion.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
P.S for all you who like using the DGT- on this blend I found it to be truly awful… I would either smoke the bowl full or dump it. Of course thats just my opinion.
Your opinion, or your experience?
My luck with semi-aros has been good. How "semi" is this semi-aro?

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
This has all the hallmarks of a very good virginia with the aroma and tin note of an aro.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
DGT the flavor get bolder. Orlik Racing Green is awesome when DGT'd for a couple of hours.

bbc417

Lurker
Oct 2, 2015
Not sure how to quote posts deathmetal- so sorry for not quoting you. But it was simply my opinion- after doing the DGT it tasted like straight ash to me… but i've found my palate keeps changing over and over.- just two weeks ago i was all over From morons cellar and now I'm all over nightcap and gaslight. so maybe ill try a DGT with it again in a few weeks lol

Status
Not open for further replies.