PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
I was a little afraid when I saw the age on this tin because I know that over time, Latakia can lost some of that smoky punch if it is aged too long, and I have never had an aged Latakia blend, so I popped the lid on this one and have been smoking it for about a week now. The tin aroma was fabulous and smelled of that autumn, burnt leaf campfire smell with a bold chocolate note. The cut is bigger ribbons mixed with some pieces of broken flake, everything from black to copper to light and dark brown, and with 2 years of age the pieces of broken flake started to exhibit signs of bloom, which was amazing. Little bit of a challenge to pack but with a little patience it was no problem. This is where I would start talking about what I taste when I light the blend up, and the first thing I thought at first match was "Nightcap, but better". The flavor profiles are very similar, but to me, there are a lot of ways in which Samarra tastes a lot better. The smokiness is fuller, richer, more round. There is perique in this blend but it is less "spicy" than Nightcap. The Virginias play off the smoky flavor of the Latakia in such a way that are almost like a honey, syrupy type sweetness. The tin description says that this has a "predominately Oriental character", and I dont know what types of Orientals are used or in what amount, but after smoking a sample of Key Largo and now this, I am convinced Greg turns Oriental leaf into something magical. Samarra is smoky and rich, silky and satisfying, sweet with just a little hint of spice, and like many Pease blends, so much more than the sum of its parts. Also, the aging on this blend has made it so that this blend couldn't bite if I wanted it to, and as always, burns down to a very clean ash. The nicotine hit on this one was lower than I like, but smoked in a large bowl there was a bit of a hit at the end of the bowl. There are very few blends I have smoked that I would call "creamy" but this is definitely one of them. On the whole, if you like Nightcap, Samarra is less spicy, just as smoky, a little bit sweeter, and has a character of flavor unlike any English I have tried before it. If you like Latakia, you owe it to yourself to give Samarra a try.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Pipe Novelist:
Just a note: In my experience, it takes far longer than 2-3 years before you'll notice a mellowing of latakia. I've had blends that were over 20 years old that still had that punch.
Bob

Jul 15, 2011
rmbittner: Thats good to know. I had heard that the smokiness can fade over time, but I have never heard exactly how long that mellowing takes. Thanks for the info, that is definitely going to change some purchase and smoking decisions over the course of the coming months. Very much appreciated! :clap:

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Just to clarify: I do think it will depend on the blend. But I've had 25-year-old London Mixture that still "delivered" in this regard. As well as 15-year-old Bengal Slices and 7-year-old Odyssey. In fact, I had kind of hoped the Odyssey would have changed a little more, since that stuff has soooo much latakia. :)
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.