PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
Would like to add some G.L. Pease to the Cellar. I notice alot of there tobaccos have Latika in it. Although I am a Latika fan I am looking for somthing with "little" to no smokeyness. Any suggestions?? I should also mention I am not an aromatic fan.

dnietosi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2012
+1 on Haddo's ... It is something else hard to put on any category. Everyone should give this a try.
I dont think Mr. Pease has any aromatic. I hear good things about all his blends so you can probably just flip a coin or read reviews till you find your match. :)

moses

Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
GL Pease Cumberland is a solid and unique Bur/VA/Per. Decent kick to it, as well. Also Fillmore is a pretty solid VA/Per.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
eaterntraveler,
Order TWO FRIENDS - HERITAGE from C&D or any e-tailer that carries it. It is a G.L. Pease Blend created by Craig Tarler of C&D and G. L. Pease. It was the only tobacco that Craig Tarler smoked and keep in mind that he manufactured 350 blends! It does not contain any Latakia.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Pease only has one real aromatic (Barbary Coast) and a couple of quasi-aros (Sextant and Haddo's Delight), so not many worries on that. I'm not entirely clear what you're looking for here.... For my money, Greg makes the best latakia blends on the market but also has a handful of others masterpieces in other categories. Filmore, for instance, is my favorite Va/Per by a country mile, while Jackknife Plug is a good blend of no-frills American leaf....

If you want some latakia, then Chelsea Morning is a great light English while Westminster and Maltese Falcon are awesome examples of medium Englishes. On the heavier end of the scale, I think Odyssey is the best Balkan blend currently available.

Although they each have some spirits added as flavorings, I highly highly recommend both Sextant and Haddo's Delight. They are each superlative tobaccos, and they have the added bonus of a decent nicotine kick.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
The miniscule flavor in TWO FRIENDS - HERITAGE is: Plum, Rum and Maple. It brings out the sweetness of the Virginia Medley. This is not an aromatic tobacco by definition. But, then again, virtually all tobacco's have some flavoring. Otherwise, they would not be palatable! It is a matter of "degree".

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
The miniscule flavor in TWO FRIENDS - HERITAGE is: Plum, Rum and Maple. It brings out the sweetness of the Virginia Medley. This is not an aromatic tobacco by definition. But, then again, virtually all tobacco's have some flavoring. Otherwise, they would not be palatable! It is a matter of "degree".

MOST of my blends are completely unadulterated by casings, flavourings, added sugars, or anything else. With the exception of Navigator and Sextant, which contain a little rum, none of my current Latakia mixtures are topped. (The late Mephisto also had a little rum added.) Union Square, Fillmore, Cumberland, the entire Classic Collection, the Original Mixtures, with the exception of Haddo's Delight, Barbary Coast and Cairo, are all pure as the driven snow. The notion that unflavoured tobaccos are unpalatable is ridiculous. Burleys certainly benefit from the addition of sugars to soften their harshness, either through casing sauces or through blending with high-sugar virginias, but there are plenty of tobaccos in my catalogue, and in C&D's, that are not flavoured in any way.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
The notion that unflavoured tobaccos are unpalatable is ridiculous.
glpease,
I was actually paying you a compliment. However, you took offense. I shall refrain from promoting your blends as not to offend you again.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
+1 for Cairo. There is so much depth and complexity in Cairo I don't think you can go wrong. It is just Virginia, oriental, and a touch of perique. The tin aroma is also amazing. I wish there was someway to sent my house with the Cairo tin aroma.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
You just have to smoke'em and decide for yourself. I like Westminster. Haddo's was a nice smoke as well.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
I agree with you. If you like it smoke it! It does not matter what others say.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I’ve been trying the Jack Knife Ready Rubbed for the first time. I think I like it better than the plug...probably just because it’s so much easier to deal with...but after the first few bowls, I seem to be noticing a bit more enhanced flavor from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.