PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deckpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 18, 2018
This was my first English. Wow. Loved it.
When I opened the tin, I smelled it and thought, "Uh oh. I may be an aromatic guy. Smells too strong, or too...weird." Probably just my inexperience though, as you will see.
I filled my bowl, and proceeded to smoke for an hour or so, with a glass of red wine (Rex Goliath Free Range Red...the best under $6 bottle of wine you will find.)
I wasn't half way done, and I was thinking, "I need to order more...the big tin."
But, I'm still pretty new to this, so I want to order some smaller sizes of other tobaccos first. This stuff blows away the introductory tobaccos I bought from a local store (Lane BCA being the best of those). Quiet Nights is a top tobacco for me for me right now, but it makes me wonder what else is out there. Looking forward to finding out! (I've only tried 4 tobaccos so far, so I'm still very new at this.) I'm much more confident about trying other English blends. No nicotine effect, btw.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I haven't found many English blends I really like, 965 being the best, but tried Quiet Nights recently and it quickly became my second favorite.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Quiet Nights is excellent. When someone says English blend to me, I automatically think latakia. Quiet Nights obviously has latakia but I only notice it in the background. Try some Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding Reserve. And the next time threes a Smokers Haven order, get some Exotique and In-B-Tween.

smokeydogg

Lurker
Apr 30, 2018
Have you tried Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme (E.O.S.) ? It was one of my first and I really like it.

bannyc9

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2018
Just picked up a couple tins the other day. Can't wait to crack one open and let the other cellar for a while.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Savoring a bowl of QN as we speak. I love this tobacco.
GL Pease Gas Light seems similar. Yet, more complex and stronger in flavor. Both are two of my favorite mixtures.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
QN is one of my favorites. I personally prefer it to Gaslight, but that's good too. The first time I tried QN, I packed a bowl out of the freshly opened tin and while it was decent I was a little disappointed after all the hype. A week in the jar though, and it really opened up. This one will break my heart to lose if The Deeming falls upon us poor proles...

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I concur blackadderlxx. Gaslight was my favorite at first. But, I’ve learned to really enjoy both QN and Odyssey. They’re not as “in your face” regarding flavor.
Not sure how to explain it. But, I’ve come to enjoy/prefer noticing the subtle, excellent flavors in QN and Odyssey over the more direct Gaslight.

Jan 7, 2019
Quiet Nights is one heck of an English to start with! You may find others pale in comparison. Be sure to set some tins back to age ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.