PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

starcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2013
I am not making sense of the other reviews of this product I have read thus far as it does not seem to be the same product described.

The tin note is nonexistent.

The smoke seems to be bland and one dimensional with nothing at all to offer. There is no comparison to any other Balkan I have encountered.

Totally lack luster.

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
Starcat: It sounds like your tin has a cold. Send it here and I'll put it on a strict regimen of immolation. It'll be better in no time! :lol:

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
I really like it with about 5 years of age on a tin. That's when I found that it really sings for me.

It's also good with Coke.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I find that a lot of Pease blends require five or ten bowls to really 'get.' To some, this may not be worth it. But to me, most other tobaccos get more boring as I work through the tin, whereas the Pease blends get more interesting.

yabo71

Lurker
Jan 12, 2014
Bumping this thread rather than start a new thread for my amateur, new fart review/impressions. I received a tin of this from a very generous piper, dated '09.
The first bowl I had was good, but just a lat bomb. Nothing that set it apart from my current lat favorites, Penzance, Ten Russians or Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend (say that three times fast).
On my second bowl in a short lovat Pete, and my third which I'm having now as I type this (in a huge monster poker by moretti) I'm getting a sweet, buttery note whenever I French inhale or snork. It's lovely. I had this similar taste before from a sample of Shortcut to Mushrooms that someone mailed me. But then it was too sweet. Sickly and cloying.
Here the soft buttery note comes after the first taste, which is of woodsy, heavy char. Then comes a little bit of spice on the tongue . Third is this soft buttery taste (wish I could think of better descriptors for this taste, but sweet butter on corn is as close as I can get it right now).
I love this stuff. Will be buying some more and throwing it in the cellar, since fresh out of the tin I don't know if I'd get these complexities.

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
I find that a lot of Pease blends require five or ten bowls to really 'get.' To some, this may not be worth it. But to me, most other tobaccos get more boring as I work through the tin, whereas the Pease blends get more interesting.
Spot on.
Perhaps you could try it in a different pipe or another time of the day.
I myself find it delicious.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
This is only my opinion, but I find when I taste nothing, whether the tobacco is known to my palate or a stranger, seeking to be an acquaintance, it is invariably my palate or pipe that is rendering this take, not the tobacco. I just had this experience with Solani White and Black. But by the third bowl I felt I was getting the tastes the blender had wanted me to have.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm an Odyssey fan as well.
For those who are cellaring it, I'll say that I recently finished a 2004 tin and it was virtually unchanged with time. I had expected the latakia to recede just a bit after 9 years in the tin, but that wasn't the case. There's so much latakia in this mixture, it'll likely be latakia-dominant for a very long time.
I don't think it needs more than the typical 2-3 years in the tin to really shine. But I think it's going to hold on for many many years after that.
Bob

natibo

Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
I personally find this to be about my favorite latakia blend. I'm mostly a Virginia blend smoker. However, I like a little latakia about 2 times a week. Odyssey has a sweetness to it that I really like. Maybe you need a stronger more peppery blend like Westminster (which i do not care for).

starcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2013
Otherwise, I'd be happy to trade it for another tin of something.....

Status
Not open for further replies.