PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruscho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
Hi guys,
Been reading the forum occasionally, had to sign up today to get some advice. The story may be a bit on the long side, but bare with me, please.
I had full intentions of adding a few GL Pease blends in my next tobacco order, so I went down to the cellar to see what I have on hand, just to make sure I don't order anything I already have. I donned on me that I have had a couple of GLPease tins opened for a few years - was going to revisit them, but never got around it, so I proceed to just throw them away. I opened the lids, just out of curiosity, to see how dry they've gotten - well, no sir, the tobacco is as wet as the day I got it!!!
Tobacco in the original opened tin, covered just by the plastic lid, for more than 2 years and I can still roll the darn thing in a ball and have my fingers sticky!?!
The two tins in question are Quiet Nights and Meridian. On the bottom of the can there is a retail sticker showing that it was stocked by the store on June 15th 2011, although I purchased and opened them sometime late 2011 or early 2012, I know it was winter and I haven't smoked GL Pease since trying those two blends.
Is it common for GL Pease blends to be loaded so heavily with PG? Anyone with similar experience? I though that Greg was supposed to be making artisan stuff... Weird?
P.S.

Smoked some of the Quiet Nights today, made my pipe gurgle. I may post some pics if I get around it, the tobacco has actually aged a bit, lol.

I wouldn't say that your experience "proves" GLP blends are any more laden with PG than any other blend. Russ and Pease have said that most blends have "some" in them. I am more baffled that you would throw away a dry English blend. I tend to smoke them after I've left the top off from a few days, because I find the flavor is better smoked slow and very dry. (for me anyways, some people differ in opinion on that).
PG or not, I think Pease is one of the best blenders out there.
Send me your dried up blends, pretty pease :puffy:

ruscho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
Haha, yeah, I don't ever rehydrate tobacco, if it's bone dry - it gets thrown. BUT, I almost never let tobacco dry, have 5 shelves with mason jars to prove it :) I had no doubt that the Pease will be dry as hay, alas...
The GLPease in question was part of a large and varietal order, so it got left open with a few other cans, but I never got back to the Pease; firstly because I wasn't all that impressed, and later, because I thought it must have dried out, so I just kept the tins more as a reference (and laziness).
I just find it questionable that he has a few articles on his website speaking against overly PGed tobacco, yet his keeps for over 2 years with just a plastic lid on top, lol.

Jan 8, 2013
PG is in alot of things. Including asthma inhalers. It's one of 3 ingredients in the ejuice vapers use. It is also in a mountain of packaged foods. Even if there is some in your tobacco, it doesn't matter. It won't hurt you anymore than the tobacco, lol.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
This sounds like a great question for the "Ask Greg" column that comes out each month on this site.
The great thing about our hobby, and this site, is that you can ask blenders questions directly rather than calling them out on a post :)

ruscho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
What's even better is that I can get answers right away in a post, rather than having to wait a month for the column ;) and hope that my question will be the one picked (doubtful).
Fadingdaylight - I hear you. I am well aware that PG is in probably every tobacco and only god knows what goes into the cheaper aromatic blends. But I had NEVER seen or even heard before of a tobacco staying moist for over 2 years. You have to admit - that's not "just a little PG"...And since pipe tobacco blenders are not required to disclose anything that goes in their blend, it's all word-of-mouth we get to depend on. There are other humectants besides PG, too.
It would be awesome if Greg can find the time and explain how his tobacco can stay moist for years. At this point I am just curious if it's PG or something else.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
It's not entirely out of the question that a plastic capped tin could seal extremely well for two years. It may not be common, or particularly likely, but it's hardly impossible.

There are some variables that he'd probably want before answering, like what are the temperatures and humidity of the storage area, environmental conditions, etc. Your experience is not mine on open GLP tins, and I smoke a lot of GLP. Like I said, I like it dry, so I look forward to them drying quite a bit, and I've never waited over two years, lol.

Maybe someone snuck in and has been keeping it watered for you. Or, someone smoked all of your GLP without you knowing it and replaced it with fresh stuff recently. Or, your cellar has struck the perfect balance of humidity and temperature to keep your blend as wet as you like. Or, Greg was drunk one day, and just loaded two tins with PG while laughing maniacally, and you happened to get those two tins. You can't rule out the ridiculous, because sometimes...

ruscho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
The temp rarely exceeds 65F and humidity is very low most of the time in the 40s - it's in my finished basement, i.e. HVAC ducts keeping the humidity low, but because it's a full basement, it stays cool even in the winter with the heat running. I initially kept my large cigar humidor there, but had to move it, because keeping up with the dry air was becoming too much of a chore.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I have never had this experience with any GL Pease tobacco, and for a long time, that was all I ever smoked.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I agree with Darwin. Sounds to me like you just got lucky with your caps not letting in air or moisture out. That is their intended job and most times, they fall short. None the less, a bit of humidity making them suction down well, could easily have provided a good seal.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Quiet Nights and Meridian are both spectacular Pease blends. And, fresh out of the tin the moisture content in those two blends is barely there rather than "wet," as you described your tins. Something is really amiss here? It just doesn't add up. Pease blends will normally dry quite rapidly once a tin has been opened as he does not add anything to his blends that will keep them artificially moist. This is the first time I've ever heard of anyone on any board questioning whether Pease blends were "loaded with PG." LOL! If they are, then they are loaded with the best "PG" I've ever tasted!
Best,
Pipestud

ruscho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
I agree with Darwin. Sounds to me like you just got lucky with your caps not letting in air or moisture out. That is their intended job and most times, they fall short. None the less, a bit of humidity making them suction down well, could easily have provided a good seal.
That could very well be the case. A bit amazing, but not really impossible.
Anyhow, it appears that my experience is rather solitary, lol, you guys watch all your baccy like hawks :)
Pease blends will normally dry quite rapidly once a tin has been opened as he does not add anything to his blends that will keep them artificially moist.
You couldn't be more wrong, but thanks anyways.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Welcome to the forum.
Is it common for GL Pease blends to be loaded so heavily with PG?
No.
IAnyone with similar experience?
No.
I though that Greg was supposed to be making artisan stuff...
He does; some of the finest ever.
Yes.
You either got a bad tin, or there is something else going on. I don't think anyone's opinion of G. L. Pease's brand is going to be influenced by this one fluke incident. People either like it already, or they don't like it already. But it seems that most do like it a lot. Fortunately for you there are many other brands to choose from.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Here is what Greg has to say about what goes into his products to keep them moist:
http://glpease.com/FAQ.html
Q: Why are many "drugstore" blends packaged so moist?
... GLP tobaccos are moistened with water only, and are packed at the optimal moisture level for proper storage and aging. If you find the tobacco slightly too moist for your preferred smoking style, just leave the tin open for a short while. Since no humectants are added during blending, the tobacco can be dried to your taste very easily. It's much easier to dry tobacco slightly than to add moisture!

Status
Not open for further replies.