PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Greg Pease formulated a mid-weight Balkan blend in late 2002 into early 2003. When it was just right, he packaged some in 2oz. tins and some in 8oz. foil bags, and named it Kensington. He released it in March of 2003. Shortly after that time, a person purchased one of these March 2003 8oz. vacuum packed foil bags of this blend, tucked it away for 9 years, where it aged gracefully. Then something happened, I can't imagine what, but it showed up on ebay a number of weeks ago.
I purchased this 8oz. bag of Kensington. Last week, I opened it. Pungent, kinda dry, and mouthwatering. The first 3 or 4 bowls of this blend were really good. REALLY good.
Then tonight happened... I shook the crumbs out of the bag, rather than pulling out a clump and preparing it. In order to fill the pipe, I literally just curled up the paper that I load my pipes on, and funneled the crumbs, strands and dust into a rather large billiard. The quantity just barely filled the bowl, so I pressed down gently and proceeded to head out to my garage, laptop and mug of lukewarm Ceylon tea in hand.
I was so distracted by the task at hand that, rather than peforming my usual slow charring light with a stick match, I grabbed a bic lighter, and roasted the surface of the tobacco and let it go out. I took a sip of tea, fired up the laptop and opened the document I planned to edit.
At some point, I stuck the pipe back in my mouth, grabbed the bic and lit up. Not paying attention to the process and not caring if I had completely lit the entire surface of the tobacco. It was producing smoke, so I was happy.
Typing commenced.
A few moments later, I noticed that this bowl of tobacco was just singing to me.
I typed a few more sentences.
The smoke now grabbed me by the taste buds and shook me.
I leaned back and took a long, slow draw. Exquisite.
A sip of tea, and I closed the laptop. The next 35 minutes were spent in rapture with this bowl of Kensington dust, crumbs and strands. Burning perfectly, producing huge clouds of white smoke and delivering tantalizing flavor with every draw.
It was one of "those" smokes. It set the bar for what this tobacco is capable of.
9 years ago, someone had the right idea. 4 weeks ago I think they may have made a terrible mistake. I am so very glad they did :puffy:
(Please read this as a tale of my true enjoyment of this "find". I'm not being a snot - just laughing joyfully at the good fortune of acquiring this treat.)

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
I just received my first tin of Kensington. It's delightful. Smokes well and is satisfying. I'd re-order this again.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Beware aware, very ware, Stogie. The next step is figuring out what few blends are better fresh, and setting out to get aged tins of the rest of it. It doesn't get any easier.
Have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.