PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
Just arrived in Vegas today and had a couple of packages waiting for me, and one of 'em contained an 8 oz tin of this. The first bowl was interesting enough for me to enter a brief 1st impression review.
Opening:
The tin popped audibly so it was well sealed. I only took out the first brick and it looks like there's 4 in there, but may be 5. To the feel, it's less dense than 3P or Wessex Gold Brick, and feels a little soft. Also where the other 2 mentioned feel kind of oily, this one feels kind of dry. Layers are very obvious to the eye, ranging from a light brown to nearly black.
Tin Note:
Very VERY smoky. Almost like a smoked fish scent, but strong in smoke, not fishy (not sure if that makes sense). Not to the point of being overwhelming to the senses, but definitely masking any tobacco scent to me.
Cutting:
I took out my trusty Swiss Army and opened the big blade, which is never used for paper or cardboard, and it kept honed to the point I can shave the hairs on my arm. I cut this the same way I cut the other 2, which not to slice off thin even slices, but I cut it on a thin taper along the long edge, turn 180 degs and do the same, then even off that side by cutting down the shallow V formed in the middle. I roughly rub these 3 pieces out so it's like a coarse shag. I've found this is where I get the best combination of flavour & burn characteristics.
Now, in spite of the edge on my knife, the layers tended to separate unlike WGB and 3P which will shave off nicely clean, so I had to be more careful, and couldn't get it as fine as the others after rubbing.
Packing:
It needed no drying time. To feel it, it feels perfect Rh for smoking, which is to say easily rubbed out with no "dust". I packed the same way as normal, a light gravity feed with an ever so light tamp with my little finger 'till the bowl was level in the Savinelli Dry System # 3620.
Lighting:
It didn't require a char light at all. One big match was all it needed to get a true light and I sat back with my coffee and enjoyed the smoke immediately.
The Smoke:
The smokiness of the Kentucky was obvious right off the mark. Not a whole lot of taste from the Virginias, but I don't profess to have a great sense of taste so it may have been there in condimental levels and just adding to the smokiness of the Kentucky without me realizing it was there. The smoke was normally quite spicy to the nasal passages when retrohaling, and at times the smoke seemed close to being overwhelming, nearing the point of slight irritation. Not sure why, it wasn't bad enough to make me stop doing it.
Plenty of smoke, maybe the greatest volume of smoke throughout the bowl of any blend I've had. While this doesn't have nearly the Nic-o-kick of DBE or the 2 other plugs I mentioned above, (as a former heavy cig smoker, and still enjoy one occasionally) it's strangely satisfying, to me, more so than other blends I've had that are recommended to reformed ciggy puffers. The flavours seemed to get a little milder on the 2nd third of the bowl, but strengthened again in the lower third.
Through the bowl, it went out accidentally only once. Other couple of times I needed to relight was when I laid it down to cool and when I was chatting with someone and it went out on it's own. It smoked easily to the bottom of the bowl with only a little dottle left. I stopped here and emptied it as it was getting a bit sour, which I'm sure is a result of my smoking cadence and in no way a fault of the tobacco.
It should be noted that this never came close to giving any bite whatsoever. Just a good, nice, cool, clean, easy dry smoke. All in all, a great smoke. It wouldn't be fair to judge it against anything after just one bowl, but I do see this becoming a regular part of my rotation. It's safe to say I'm glad I bought the large can instead of my first thought of buying a single plug.
Thank you to all who recommended this.
Jamie

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
Heh. I just got a tin of this for the first time a couple of days ago myself. I largely agree with your review. It tastes quite a bit differently than I expected. I also find it really satisfying in a way I wouldn't have expected given its flavors. It's very earthy and almost cigar-like to me. I don't really notice the VAs much myself, though I'm sure they're doing their thing in there. Good and hearty blend that would make a fine first bowl of the day with coffee for us ex-cigarette smoker degenerates who have like a good amount of nicotine.

Status
Not open for further replies.