PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

standardgewehr

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2011
Love the stuff, smoking some right now! Great review.
Anything by GLP with VA and Perique seems to be right up my alley, Fillmore is my current favorite.
As to the name, I found this:
Oliver Haddo is the name of the necromancer in W. Somerset Maugham's novel THE MAGICIAN(1907), a character inspired by Maugham's acquaintance with the notorious British occultist, Aleister Crowley (1875-1947).
Might be a good question for "ask GLP" a feature on my favorite pipe and tobacco forum!

kevinp

Lurker
Feb 28, 2011
I'm working on a youtube review of this which will be edited together from various shots of me from opening my first tin to smoking the bowl from it.
Just past the halfway point now.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
Great Review. I believe Haddo's is another incarnation (like Dr. Who) of Friedman/Pease's "Alister" which was a stout Virginia/Perique blend that had a little dark rum in it to give a punch. The line was discontinued when Msr. Pease & Msr. Friedman disolved their partnership in late 1980's or early 1990's. I don't know if it is the same recipe - but it is similar...although I preferred "Alister" much better. Sadly Alister is one of those lost blends that should have never, never been lost. It was incredible with a punch that was just terrific. However, I am sure there had to be some changes to blend due to the split. I suspect the secret or mystery is the rum ingredient - that creates the marriage - although I may be wrong. Since - no one is talking.

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
Read the reviews and then went and loaded up with some Haddo's. Even better than the last time I smoked it. I think what I was smoking was some 2004. It definitely benefits from the aging!

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
I was under the impression that - Oliver Haddo was a non-de-plume and a character in the writings of Aleister Crowley - hence the wink-wink-nudge-nudge from Msr. Pease who was the blender of Aleister under the Friedman/Pease label.

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
Great write up. Va. and VA/Per reviews always get me excited try them, but then I almost as quickly realize I may never find a true Va blend that I can enjoy.
If I give them another shot, this will be a great place to start.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Thanks again guys.

Oliver Haddo was a non-de-plume and a character in the writings of Aleister Crowley

I read that Oliver Haddo was a pseudonym of Edward Alexander Crowley. That's why I added it. More tongue in cheek than for any other reason. Your understanding may very well be correct...

As for the real inspiration for the name... Greg needs to wade in on that.

Otherwise it's just speculation. (But, I don't think we're too far off base.)

Status
Not open for further replies.