G.L. Pease Gaslight review

(37 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Ahmad Othman
  • Latest reply from Ahmad Othman
  1. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This blend is unique, from a lot of prespectives. Starting with name itself, Gaslight. Such an interesting name for a tobacco, quite flamboyant as well, I might add. It has a simple, serene tin design, and a note by good ole G.L. saying that inside lies a mystery. And he isn't exactly wrong. When you pop up the tin, you'll find three covers to the tobacco, one with literature and two clean, and underneath is two crude brownie looking kakes, with a strong, dominant and almost commanding Latakia aroma. It is nearly at perfect moisture, but to really enjoy, 10-15 minutes of drying time is not bad. Just enough to make yourself a drink or so. The kake crumbles easily and packs well and tight (if you want). And once first lit, it is a journey to behold. Nothing like I have tried. It speaks Latakia forward and foremost. No doubt about it, and yet it isn't the incense, woody, sweet or creamy Latakia in other blends, but more powerful, explicit smoky Latakia. My first taste impression was camp fire. Or a meat smoking station. Strong, pungent, however in the most delightful way. take a few puffs, or more than a few and another taste hits. This time it is of black coffee seeds, the charred ones beyond dark roast.. That rich, welcoming aroma at a barista station in an old coffeeshop. And now the feeling of a camp fire is absolutely complete. It keeps a smooth, even burn and a unified, strong flavour profile throughout the bowl. Not a dull moment and not a spiky one. definitely one of the most intriguing and interesting blends I have had. I am not sure it'll make my rotation. But I certainly enjoy it and will savor every puff of it. It has generous amount of nicotine. Wouldn't call it high, but you feel the nicotine when you start the bowl. But of course your mileage may vary on that point. My recommendation is definitely try this at least once. And then see if you'll be drawn to the light, the gaslight.

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.” - Albert Einstein
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree completely, this is a must try blend that will have you back. Mr. Pease does well with all his blends

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. stbruno70

stbruno70

Login to Send PM

Gaslight is unlike any other Lat blend I have had before.

I find it very tight and slow smoking - this is not a quick 10 minute break smoke.

Many spice and incense notes...

And since Gaslight was introduced after the FDA cut-off date, I have been stockpiling it furiously. In about two years or less, you will not be able to buy it.

Mason,Vice President
    Golden Gate Pipe Club
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gaslight is my #1 smoke and with the turn of the temps, I've been dipping into my stockpile for evening smokes.

I too will be stocking up with the 1/2 lb tins for the next 24 months as to ensure I have enough for the duration.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. mackeson

mackeson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I too will be stocking up with the 1/2 lb tins for the next 24 months as to ensure I have enough for the duration
    No,no,nonononononononono - They're all joking. It's foul stuff. don't touch it with a thirty-nine-and-a-half foot pole!

Did that sound convincing? --sigh--
    Yeah, it's great stuff. One I've been loving also.

"Once you go down the Lakeland path, forever will it dominate your destiny."
    -Apologies to Master Yoda
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

don't touch it with a thirty-nine-and-a-half foot pole!
    Yep... he went there.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. mackeson

mackeson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

yup. I'll go there any chance I get.

To the OP. I'm continually amazed at the layers of flavor that come through in such a latakia heavy blend. This could be my one and only lat blend if I had to pick. Please don't make me pick though. I love variety

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hahaha. No picking on my side. I like variety as well.
    And indeed it's a very unique Latakia blend

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. jerwynn

jerwynn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gaslight's one of my favorites too! This thread is reminding me I need to stockpile more!

“Deep peace of the running wave to you.
 Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
 Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
 Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace of the infinite peace to you." - Fiona Macleod
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hope a little age doesn't diminish Gaslight. This review has prompted me to put my sealed tin closer to the pipe lighting area, since it may not last, in full flavor, for so long. I think I've had mine for probably two years. A tin of Westminster, though really impressively complex when opened, lost its Lat mojo in a rush and ended up a blending base for some dark fired and other leaf to bring it back to smokeable. It just went flat. This is a great Gaslight review, specific and thoughtful, and I really appreciate the analytical touch. Another Forums post got me to crack my Royal Yacht and I like it so well, I bought an extra tin.

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gaslight has always been my favorite, I hope it can hold it's own with aging.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, I dunno how it will age to be honest. I plan to consume my tin.. But I presume since it is latakia heavy, it may lose some of its flavour

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. hakchuma

hakchuma

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gaslight and black frigate really hold up to the hype. I feel sad every bowl of gaslight I smoke because that's one less bowl of gaslight I'll have when I'm done!

"From tempers be it known that we are warm in the fields of battle and cool in the hours of debate"

- Pushmataha, Choctaw Chief
    Posted 2 years ago #
  14. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Haven't tried Black Frigate, but definitely gaslight is something.. It got me quite interested in trying other GL blends.. I have a tin of Cairo coming and probably will try Robusto and Quiet nights as well..
    Also, if you like it a lot, time to stock up.. It's a post 07 blend and probably will disappear in a couple of years

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. tobaccojoe

tobaccojoe

Login to Send PM

I grabbed up a few tins of Gaslight last week. I really appreciate this review and love that you include a picture. I have a sweet spot for Gaslight, and a few other GL Pease blends, and decided to throw some into the cellar, no matter if the latakia "dulls" some over time.

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great to know I helped.. And yes, it is a great blend indeed.. Hope you enjoy your cellar.. And a side note, it may be discontinued soon.. So stock up if you really like it

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. josephcross

josephcross

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Im a newcomer to this blend, and Quiet Nights. I love them both. Im cellaring them regardless of how they may age.

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Excellent, and very well written review of one of my favorites from GLP!

Dave
    Duke Street Irregular
    Posted 2 years ago #
  19. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great review! Gaslight is one of my favorites for fall/winter.......... One of GLP's best in my opinion..........

Im a newcomer to this blend, and Quiet Nights. I love them both. Im cellaring them regardless of how they may age.
    Hey Josephcross- if you like those two, try Westminster. That one is my all time favorite blend, and yes, it does age very well........

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream..."
    Willy Wonka
    Posted 2 years ago #
  20. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks, all for your feedback.. I am glad I could be of help..

As for cellaring, I assume that anyone who likes this blend in particular and maybe some other GL Pease blends needs to cellar as much as they can, since according to FDA new bullocks rules, they will be discontinued in a couple of years. Unless Good ole Greg can pull a rabbit out of the hat and find a way to continue doing them.

I plan to get a few US blends as well to stock them.. Since they are either out of production or being hit by FDA rules

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. scrooge

scrooge

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One of these days I'll pop one of my tins. Sounds Good.
    @ anthonyrosenthal Nice looking guy there. SCROOGE!

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@scrooge yes indeed, it is an excellent tobacco by all means.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. josephcross

josephcross

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Beefeater33 for the recommend. Ive been eyeing this one for a while now. Im going to grab a couple of tins next order.

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's a great blend.. Very strong and pungent, though.. It won't get you any friends.. Except Latakia lovers

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm smoking my first bowl of this blend now. Perfect afternoon to sit outside here Ohio with the ballgame on the radio and a cup of coffee. This is good stuff. Easily sliced and rubbed out, on the damp side but it dries fine. Wonderful aroma, smoky and spicy. The flavor seems best on the back of the tongue. I can see why this can make one stop chasing Penzance. I'll be putting a few tins away...soon.
    Mike S.

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. mackeson

mackeson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm looking forward to tasting this as an aged blend - seeing which flavors come forward, meld or recede. I love it fresh, and keep opening tins before they have the chance to age though.
    My guess is that this one aged will end up being one of those sweet, mouth-filling and buttery blends. I could be very wrong though --wouldn't be the first time. I guess I'll just have to wait.

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I like Gaslight. It has the best yummy smell ever for a Latakia blend and it tastes great too.
    Another GL Pease favorite of mine in the Latakia range, even though it's different from Gaslight, is Sextant.

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. mackeson

mackeson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Another GL Pease favorite of mine in the Latakia range, even though it's different from Gaslight, is Sextant.

+1
    I found Sextant quite by accident in a local cig/cigar store that mostly only carries Sutliff blends. It was sitting alone on a shelf marked down to about $6 and I thought, "A GLP blend I haven't tried, ah what the hell." I ended up buying several more tins from other places after that.

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, that's great.. I guess GL Blends are awesome.. I have a tin of "Cairo" on the way.. Since it is where I live and GL said it inspired him to make the blend, so I couldn't resist

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That first bowl of Gaslight was very good. There is, to me, much more nicotine than I am used to. Glad I was
    Watching the ball game and not driving.
    Mike S.

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I can feel you Mike. I normally have any expected nic bombs at home.. It had an initial powerful kick.. One of the very few I had.

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. stbruno70

stbruno70

Login to Send PM

@Ahmad Othman

I have been to Cairo twice, and find it a fascinating place.

As for the Pease blend of that name, it is wonderful. A while ago I had a ten year old tin of Cairo, and was amazed by how richly it had aged.

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. cossackjack

cossackjack

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ahmad:

And a side note, it may be discontinued soon.. So stock up if you really like it

Can you elaborate on this assertion? And how soon is soon?

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
    Specialization is for insects!" - Robert Heinlein
    Posted 2 years ago #
  34. stbruno70

stbruno70

Login to Send PM

@guyrox, mackeson:

I am glad to hear that you like Greg's Sextant. It is a fine variation on the Navy flake, and the smokey bitterness of the lat plays so well with the dark sweetness of the rum.

Years ago, Greg shared a pre-production sample of Sextant with us one evening. We sat on a balcony overlooking Mill Valley, watching the stars emerge and puffing on this extraordinary flake. Pure magic.

Alas, this too will vanish because of the FDA...grrr...

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jack. Any blend offered after a date in, I believe 2009 is in danger. Real danger
    From the FDA regulations.
    Mike S.

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. stbruno70

stbruno70

Login to Send PM

@Cossackjack:

The new FDA rules state that any tobacco product not for sale on Feb 15, 2007 will be subject to testing and certification procedures. It is widely believed in the industry that such procedures will be so costly and time consuming that any product failing that date will be forced off the market.

Greg Pease says on his website that the following blends are at risk:

"Embarcadero
    Union Square
    Maltese Falcon
    The Virginia Cream
    Key Largo
    The entire Old London Series [this includes Sextant and Gaslight]
    The entire New World Collection"

Over time, crops change in terms of cost, quality and supply, and sometimes manufacturers may make substitutions or adjustments. Conceivably the FDA could say that an adjusted blend, made since the beginning of time, is now a new mixture and this subject to the burdensome testing regime. That is to say, no blend is safe.

If you love a mix, hoard it now.

Posted 2 years ago #
  37. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@stbruno70 couldn't have said it better.. Unfortunately G.L has told me this himself.. We got max of two years to enjoy these blends before they go bye.. Thanks, Murica

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   philobeddoe, cortezattic, ericusrex