PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Oh man, where to start...

... My wife hates latakia. Seriously. But, I am all for blends that pack a ton of flavor, so I went ahead and picked up this little set up right here:

CAM00451_zps3b0fe6ff.jpg

For starters, both the name and tin art got my attention months ago. The reviews made the itch worse. Then, I got to read the flavor text on the tin today, and I couldn't wait. I cracked the tin, the distinct scent of latakia floats out, strong and smokey. I pulled out one dark oily plug with a smile.

CAM00457_zps2b1b15db.jpg

Here's closer shot, so you guys can see the detail in this bad boy:

CAM00458_zpsed2f91d2.jpg

I sliced a bit, the wrong way (intentionally) to get a good look inside of the plug. It truly is a thing of beauty. Nearly solid black, it's mouth watering.

CAM00459_zps73f489c3.jpg

Then I proceeded to slice a bit more, the right way, and rub it out. I made sure there was enough to fill the General.

CAM00460_zps652d6d26.jpg

I let it sit on the paper for a bit, then loaded it up. I am about 3/4 through the bowl as I type this.
I have tried several latakia blends, including Mr. Pease's own Westminster, which I thoroughly enjoyed. But nothing comes close to this one. From charring light, clear through the bowl, the heavy latakia is forward. The rich, dark, smokey flavor is intense. Find a chair, this is not a blend for you lunting fans, it is best served seated. Plenty of nicotine, for us addicts, and a rich smoke you could nearly chew on. I'm not sure I could smoke it all day, but I could certainly end each day with some. Burns cool and slow, stays lit quite well. Towards the bottom of this towering General the ash on top is becoming dense, but not smothering. A fantastic smoke. Greg, if you happen to read this, you knocked it out of the park on this one. Gaslight has definitely stepped straight into the top latakia slot in my book.
Guys, if you like latakia, or intense flavor period, and you haven't given this incredible blend a try, do yourselves a favor and grab some soon. You won't regret it. I wish I hadn't waited so long. This blend had me wrought with anticipation and still managed to blow my expectations out of the water.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Good review fading. I'm on my sixth or seventh bowl and I just keep liking it more. I'm stoking up on this one, no question.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks for the review Jason. I'm a huge fan of GLP blends, particularly Gaslight. It's an experience all of its own - presentation and content. Given up on 2oz tins and will open a 8oz bundle of enjoyment this evening.
Andy

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I find it more oriental heavy than latakia. It's got the spice to go along with the smoke in a way that something like Quiet Nights doesn't, at least for me.
Good review. Curious to hear more about it as you finish the tin.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I tried this blend for the first time back in the winter and while it was good, I was just starting to explore the world of Latakia. I think it's supposed to be cooler out tonight so I may put the kids to bed early and pull out the tin I jarred up back in January and have another go at it. I've been enjoying some 965 and a few other Latakia blends so perhaps this new kick at Gaslight will be different.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
I love Gaslight but tonight I'm discovering new sides to it that have just blown me away. I normally don't have time to let it dry, but tonight - knowing I'm on my own to watch Holland v Argentina - I sliced a generous portion and left it out to dry for an hour or more. Making sure I kept the layers as intact as possible, I loaded up a wide, deepish bowl and set it light. What an experience! Lots of smoky Latakia but also sweet and complex. Burning beautifully and no bite. Fantastic. I took 2oz to the Pipe club of London meeting last night in the smoking room at JJ Fox; most of the guys had never had it before and they couldn't get enough of it. A triumph.
Andy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If that didn't sell some Gaslight, nothing will. I just finished the last of a tin of GLP Triple Play, another

plug but a very different blend.

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
I'm honored by the great review. Gaslight really is something different, and to know that it's so well appreciated brings me a lot of happiness. I try to avoid reading the reviews, honestly, because once I'd developed it, I found myself bordering on addiction to the stuff. Not that I couldn't live without it smoldering constantly in my pipes, but that I didn't want to smoke anything else, which makes it rather, shall we say, inconvenient for working on new things. I had to finish up the open stuff, and put the unopened tins aside so I could get back to work on other projects. When I read these reviews, it's tempting to find the box I hid in the garage, and that just wouldn't be a good thing, at least until the new blend is ready to roll. Truth told, I'm also a little afraid that when I do revisit Gaslight, it might not live up to the memories. It's a risk I'll take, eventually, but in the meanwhile, I will enjoy it vicariously through the posts of others, but only when I'm feeling strength in my resolve to ignore that box..
Okay, maybe a little hyperbolic, but there is a seed of truth, too. ;) Many thanks again for the kind words. I'm thrilled , and deeply touched that people are enjoying it so much. It's the sort of thing those of us in the sometimes risky business of creating live for.

Jan 8, 2013
Thanks guys.
Andy, I'm with you, I think this will be my first and only 2oz tin. I have 12 days left until I leave WA state, (the tin was supposed to be for the trip, but it's not gonna make it..) after that, I will be ordering 8oz tins regularly.
Tim, your gonna love it. Like Andy said, no bite, nothing. Just good smooth tasty smoke. And that is with my poor technique.
Greg, we appreciate not only your mastery of the blending arts, but the fact that you are a part of this community. It's great to know that if we have a question, or comment, you can be reached directly.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I've never gone through a tin as quckly as I did with the first tin of Gaslight I got. I have had a much higher percentage of sublime smokes with Gaslight than any other blend I've tried in my 25 years of smoking a pipe. This blend is truly something special and I can't believe it won't be considered an all-time classic. I'm eagerly looking forward to see how the flavors change with age. Thanks Mr. Pease, you've outdone yourself (and that's saying something).
Renfield

Status
Not open for further replies.