Tags:   

GL Pease Gas Light - The Word Is Out

(61 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by rebornbriar
  • Latest reply from wyfbane
  1. rebornbriar

rebornbriar

Login to Send PM

Due to be released at the end of October. I have heard reports from some pre-release samples that this is a Latakia Plug. Early tasters are lauding this as a terrific tobacco - sure to be popular when released at the end of the month. I have not been lucky enough to sample this one yet myself.

Alan
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I predict a near instant sell-out just like Penzance. It would be interesting to see if they are similar.

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."
    Mark Twain
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Interesting. Should make lat lovers happy -- so heads up for them to sharpen their knives.

Thanks, Alan.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I predict a near instant sell-out.

No doubt. Especially if (big if) Pease, which has been expanding distribution overseas, is committed to also distribute what could be a limited supply to international vendors.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I still have about 37 Pease tobaccos to catch up on. I'm sure it will be interesting.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. sergemoat

sergemoat

Login to Send PM

This is definitely on my to try list. Hopefully they'll have enough for everyone.

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Sounds interesting.

Al

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. erichbaumer

erichbaumer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Perfect timing, just as I'm trying to stop sampling and settle on a limit of five blends to smoke for the forseable future...

"I don't want any of your statistics; I took your whole batch and lit my pipe with it." -Mark Twain
    Posted 5 years ago #
  9. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm giving "Triple Play" a little time on the shelf, but I'll be interested to hear how this one is received.

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Can anyone find more info? His site doesn't have much to go off of, but if it is really a Lat plug, I'll buy quite a few!

"I said NO camels, that's FIVE camels...can't you count?!"
    AJHvibes.com
    Posted 5 years ago #
  11. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've never gotten into Pease's blends. I'm pretty much strictly an aromatic smoker and he doesn't do any aromatic blends really. Guess I'm just an ugly duckling.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 5 years ago #
  12. txbeerboy

txbeerboy

Login to Send PM

Yeah ! Who is this G.L. Pease guy? Get the surf board , water board , or something that will make him talk. I am ready to hear something!

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LOTPRs: Have you tried Barbary Coast? I would classify it as a crossover blend. Brandy casing, but supported by rich, real tobacco flavors.

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tried Union Square, a straight VA blend. It was good, but not something that left me wanting to abandon aromatics for Va blends.

Pease also uses Latakia a lot which I currently find to be a very bitter and off putting taste.

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LOTPRs: you should try: Haddos, Key Largo, Barbary Coast, Sextant, Navigator, Cairo, Fillmore, Laurel Heights, Cumberland and Robusto.

Try each one. Get a tin, maybe an 8oz, just in case you love it. But, if you don't, PM me and I'll send you my address

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

This is great news!

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll stick with my aromatics for now lol.

I do find it kind of strange that he doesn't have at least one aromatic. Aromatic blends make up about 80-90% of all pipe tobacco sales. That's a huge market that's being ignored.

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. latbomber

latbomber

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very interesting, looks like a delicious latakia brownie!

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. stbruno70

stbruno70

Login to Send PM

When I had lunch with the Dark Lord yesterday he was kind enough to give me a pre-production tin.

He had also given me prototype a few months ago and I have been slowly sampling it.

While I cannot reveal details before he does, I am enjoying the new blend tremendously and think it will be a winner.

He says more news will be coming out very soon.

Stay tuned, as they say.

Mason,Vice President
    Golden Gate Pipe Club
    Posted 5 years ago #
  20. jfox520

jfox520

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have been looking for a plug tobacco the has Latakia. I can't wait for this to be released.

Tobacco Reviews https://jfox520.blogspot.com/
    Over 10,000 page views.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  21. nismo270r

nismo270r

Login to Send PM

As many here said, I also can't wait for this to be released. I'm curious to how it will compare to some of the heavier lat blends out there. It may be one for the cellar!

-Chris
    Posted 5 years ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

ram74

Login to Send PM

I can't wait for this to be released! The rumor on another forum is this is going to GLP's interpretation of the famed Bengal Slices. I have no idea what the truth is but a latakia plug from GLP is going to rock. My favorite Latakia blends have always been in flake or kake form. My favorites included Star of the East flake, Plum Pudding, Penzance, Fusiler's Ration, Old Ironsides, Lancer Slices, Ten Russians, Robert McConnell Latakia Flake and Pirate Kake. Flakes and Kakes is where it is at! We need more of them!

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. onepyrotec

onepyrotec

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just hope to find some before X-Mas so I can stuff it in my Nephew's stocking.

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do find it kind of strange that he doesn't have at least one aromatic. Aromatic blends make up about 80-90% of all pipe tobacco sales. That's a huge market that's being ignored.

He's explained this before. He doesn't enjoy aros. So, in order to make one that's good, he'd have to test it and smoke it a bunch, but if he doesn't like them, how would he know if he'd done a good job? And it's not like he is hurting for cash, so he stays away from them.

80-90%? Really?! I don't know if I'm buying that....

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. glpease

glpease

Lord Latakia

Login to Send PM

Well, I guess the jig is up. Gaslight will begin making its way to the dealers at the end of the month. Yes, it is a latakia mixture in pressed form. I've smoked a ridiculous amount of the stuff over the past couple months, and am very excited about. It's rich, satisfying, and burns very slowly, especially when sliced relatively thick. I hope others enjoy it as much as I do. So far, my guinea pigs have been quite complimentary of it. Then again, can we really trust anyone who 'reviews' free tobacco.

-glp

Posted 5 years ago #
  26. rickpal14

rickpal14

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Greg

Thanks for the update! I for one am at the ready with credit card in hand and will be trolling the sponsor sites waiting for the green light!!!!

Proud Member of the BlackBlood Society...........
    Posted 5 years ago #
  27. txbeerboy

txbeerboy

Login to Send PM

I trust them guinea pigs. Name your price and lets rattle a box of matches!!!

Posted 5 years ago #
  28. checotah

checotah

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh, sure, just as I have a discussion with my bride about having enough tobacco on hand to last me the rest of my life, Greg goes and announces this! Is it simply a coincidence, or is he really trying to see how far my temptation limit may stretch? ....must...constrain...myself....for....my...own...good......well...maybe...just...a...little...tin....

Posted 5 years ago #
  29. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Oh, sure, just as I have a discussion with my bride about having enough tobacco on hand to last me the rest of my life, Greg goes and announces this! Is it simply a coincidence, or is he really trying to see how far my temptation limit may stretch? ....must...constrain...myself....for....my...own...good......well...maybe...just...a...little...tin....

Wait, you used "bride", "tobacco" and "discussion" all in the same sentence? No good ever comes from that grouping.

Posted 5 years ago #
  30. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Brian mentioned it on one of the radio show episodes. Can't remember which episode or if it was 80% or 90%, but it's one of those two. The straight tobacco blend market makes up a very small percentage of pipe tobacco blends sold.

Posted 5 years ago #
  31. checotah

checotah

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wait, you used "bride", "tobacco" and "discussion" all in the same sentence? No good ever comes from that grouping.

Posted 5 years ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

ram74

Login to Send PM

I hope this is just the beginning and one day a Bengal Slices inspired plug is released. Lagonda plug maybe....

Posted 5 years ago #
  33. sjb3

sjb3

Login to Send PM

I must admit I'm intrigued...when this is released I'll have another go at latakia.

Posted 5 years ago #
  34. glpease

glpease

Lord Latakia

Login to Send PM

I've posted some more info on my site regarding Gaslight. It's shipping today, and should start finding stockists' shelves as early as tomorrow.

Aromatics and "hurting for cash," what's there to say? It's true, it's not my choice of smoke, but I've always thought it MIGHT be possible to blend one that I actually did enjoy. In some sense, Barbary Coast and Haddo's Delight are almost aromatics. I suppose Navigator and Sextant might be touching the edges of the category, too. Maybe, one of these days, I'll do something in the genre. It IS the largest part of the market, and by ignoring it, I've certainly limited myself.

Hurting for cash? Not quite hurting, but nowhere near as well off as people seem to think I am. It's pipe tobacco, guys. I'm competing for a tiny slice of a tiny pie.

Posted 5 years ago #
  35. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Greg, I for one am very excited to try this new blend. I p[lan to order 20 tins from 4noggins (to start)

Good idea on the Halloween launch.

Posted 5 years ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I am surprised that on one commented yet. I have smoked maybe 2/3 of a tin in 2 days and it is magical, changing, spicy and dynamic. It literally transforms as you smoke it in the bowl. I love Latakia. so that is a disclaimer. Wonderful blend that i am still exploring.

Posted 5 years ago #
  37. kashmir

kashmir

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Chomping at the bit for this new GLP release. The wizzard strikes again.

The pipe eases you into the present moment - savor your pipe & you'll savor this moment.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  38. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bravo Mr Pease!

Wow! this stuff is amazing. If you're a lover of Latakia try it out. I've only been into Latakia blends for about 4 years so I'm only a student but this is by far and away the best the best example of the smokey leaf blend I've ever found.

Posted 5 years ago #
  39. escioe

escioe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am impatiently awaiting the UPS guy to show up on Thursday.

There aren't many times that I miss living in Chicago, but being able to go downtown to a great tobacco shop and get this stuff right away would be nice, rather than waiting for the pony express to get this and a bunch of other good stuff over the pass to my doorstep.

Posted 5 years ago #
  40. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hopefully this will be a big hit for Greg and all his fans, I am not a Latakia guy so I won't be sampling but knowing Greg's history for creating great English blends, I am sure it will do well.

Greg, while you may not be the richest guy in the pipe business, being driven around by your man servant in your Bentley Arnage makes me think you are not hurting too badly. lol

Harris
    Posted 5 years ago #
  41. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There aren't many times that I miss living in Chicago, but being able to go downtown to a great tobacco shop and get this stuff right away

Don't feel too bad, that great shop I'm sure you're talking about hasn't even ordered any! I just got mine in today from smokingpipes.com, but it got sent to my parents' place so I need to wait till next time out in the burbs to get my hands on it

Posted 5 years ago #
  42. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@bentmike: Great pic...I’m salivating. I’d be sorely tempted to take a big bite out of that.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 5 years ago #
  43. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am hesitant to provide huge amounts of praise for Gaslight, for that will only encourage the uninitiated to order it, and I won't get the 10 additional tins that I want, but...

This stuff is nothing less than wonderful.

Mr. Pease has managed to seamlessly balance and combine the separate ingredients into one, never before experienced, aroma and flavor. You can taste the Perique, but it's right in there with the Latakia. It's not Virgina/Perique/Latakia/whateverelse...it's something new, something wonderful.

For me, the game has changed. There will be pipe tobacco before after Gaslight.

I can't wait until it's available in bulk. I want to cellar 5 pounds.

Posted 5 years ago #
  44. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have 44 tins on the way - 20 from smokingpipes and 24 from 4noggins. Can't wait until they get here.

Posted 5 years ago #
  45. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I do not recall Greg saying there was perique in there...

Posted 5 years ago #
  46. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, there's another one I'll have to try!

Posted 5 years ago #
  47. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Greg, while you may not be the richest guy in the pipe business, being driven around by your man servant in your Bentley Arnage makes me think you are not hurting too badly. lol

An Arnage?? How 2009.....

Posted 5 years ago #
  48. pylorns

James Foster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Got my 2 tins in.... staring at them, I suspect I'm going to cellar for a while.

Posted 5 years ago #
  49. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If there isn't any Perique, there is something in there that sure smells like it.
    Please, correct me if I'm wrong!

Posted 5 years ago #
  50. escioe

escioe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't feel too bad, that great shop I'm sure you're talking about hasn't even ordered any! I just got mine in today from smokingpipes.com, but it got sent to my parents' place so I need to wait till next time out in the burbs to get my hands on it

My name is Eric and your name is Anthony and we have shared pipes together at the Chicago show before. I was roommates with Adam for two years. He and I have chatted a bit lately for obvious reasons and you came up a little bit. I sent him a care package last week with a tin of 2003 Kensington, one of my holy grail blends, and it landed in Crystal Lake today. Be sure to pinch some of that from him.

Nice to see a familiar face here. I've been a smokersforum guy forever but this place seemed to get a bit more traffic so I've added it in.

Posted 5 years ago #
  51. romeowood

romeowood

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very interesting indeed....

Posted 5 years ago #
  52. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Greg:

If you are reading here, congratulations on what looks to be another triumph (insofar as tobacco blending is susceptible to triumph, I suppose) with Gaslight. I got mine this week and have been enjoying it very much. My "30 second review," posted elsewhere in the forum was as follows:

Dark plug with traces of red Va.
    Easily sliced and rubbed.
    Needs 20-30 minutes to dry slightly for best lighting, then a cool, steady burn - no relight needed in a fairly large (group 5 equivalent) full bent Pete.
    Flavor is a Latakia-forward English, with definite Oriental spice and an easily discerned touch of Va sweetness from mid-bowl on.
    Very substantial nic-kick for an English
    4/5.

Here's my question: Does my experience of a fairly stout dose of nicotine comport with your intent? With other reports from those tasting it?

I know this is all very subjective. Given that I almost always smoke full English blends, I don't tend to get tons of nicotine regularly, and so I might just be sensitive to it. But the subject interests me and I wonder -- was this strictly subjective, or is it really in there?

Posted 5 years ago #
  53. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A fine necro thread, heralding the introduction of Gaslight, a blend I am interested in greatly. I love the taste, but it spins me. I think it may be the red VA's.

Anyone else find it brings on something different? Other theories besides nicotine?

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  54. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It does not have any adverse effects on me. I love the stuff and have many tins in the cellar.

Neal
    Posted 6 months ago #
  55. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I went on a Gaslight binge when it came out, and haven't touched it since. I love the stuff and have a few tins cellared. A revisit is due.

Posted 6 months ago #
  56. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just tried it recently and while I do love lat blends this one went down a little rough. It was a freshly opened tin and I always get a raw or green taste from a new tin and the first bowl.

And yes, it certainly did bring something different and I haven't nailed it down yet.

Thanks for the reminder as it's been open about a week now. Going to try it again later today.

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 6 months ago #
  57. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like it, don't love it. Yet at least. It reminds me a bit of Dreams Of Kadath. I haven't found the nicotine hit to be overwhelming but it is definitely above average. Even though this is supposed to be a latakia forward blend, I find the Oriental leaf to be very noticeable.

Posted 6 months ago #
  58. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like it, don't love it. Yet at least. It reminds me a bit of Dreams Of Kadath. I haven't found the nicotine hit to be overwhelming but it is definitely above average. Even though this is supposed to be a latakia forward blend, I find the Oriental leaf to be very noticeable.

Just tried it again and I'm with hoosierpipedude.

Smoked in a cob and then later in a large bowl Savinelli 320 KS. Much better now that the tin has been open for a few days. I love lat blends so I have a tendency to over-puff them, however, the red virginia forced me to slow down and it was much better. Orientals right there, neck and neck with the latakia. Don't think it's cased but I do get a little sweet at the start. Probably the virginia. Perfect nicotine.

I'm definitely seeing this in my regular rotation. Thanks jpm for bringing this up.

Posted 6 months ago #
  59. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Most welcome. I hope more come forward who may have had it hit them too hard. Again, don't think it's the nic., but Red Virginias or another ingredient.

Posted 6 months ago #
  60. mechanic

mechanic

Login to Send PM

Gaslight was the 2nd blend i tried after starting pipes i didnt notice any reactions to it in particular i have weird spells where my throat feels like it is swollen but i get that no matter what blend im smoking

"I'm a kind person, I'm kind to everyone, but if you are unkind to me, then kindness is not what you will remember me for." - Al Capone
    Posted 6 months ago #
  61. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got a sample of this with an order from SPC. It is a great blend. I think i have a tin or two somewhere. Good stuff!

Posted 6 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   danimalia, ajohnb, voorhees, ben88, creole, elbert, corncobguy, redglow, jhowell, alexnc, weezell, pianopuffer, haparnold, peregrinus, timelord, craig61a