PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
My new briar came today along with my tin of CM. I cannot do a formal review as my novice palette is not qualified to do so, but what I can do is a comparison of another complex and satisfying hobby of mine. Please stay with me as this may sound crazy, but it is the only way I can communicate this experience.
Chelsea Morning is complex in flavor, in a very smooth, well balanced manor. It goes from rich deep flavor to subtle hints of pepper to smokey refreshment all in one breath of a songbird. It burns smooth, stays lit, keeps the smoker engaged in the flavor profile and keeps the smoker intrigued for the next delight to stimulate the senses as the bowl continues.
Now, the comparison. We have all had great BBQ at some point. Not the run of the mill crap from a chain place, but BBQ from a hole in the wall, out of the way joint that has perfected the art of smoking meat. A meal, that when over, everyone looks at each other and the only word spoken was DAMN. I am talking about a complex flavor profile from the carefully selected ingredients of a dry rub, the careful consideration of wood selection and the direction the BBQ sauce itself takes the entire experience.
At first bite, you get the deep smoke flavor of hickory. Then the subtle sweetness of perhaps apple wood followed by a fruity back of the tongue warming from a piece of cherry wood. Next the flavor of the slightly burnt bark accompanied with the mild crunch from caramelized sugars offset by the steady yet mild heat of something you just put your finger on. As the meat comes off the bone the front of the tongue is assaulted with a wonderful arrangement of black pepper, white pepper, ooooh a sweet paprika offset by a smokey paprika, chased by a hint of mustard seed with a slight returning echo of garlic. As you slowly chew. the flavors all marry together but somehow at various times they seem pop back onto the palette showcasing their individual flavors, and then slowly fade into the background....... allowing another to make an appearance before the next bite.
For me, that is what eating BBQ should be. It is not just eating, it is an adventure in flavor that makes you guess what every new hint of flavor could be.
Chelsea Morning was that complex and rewarding for me. As a novice pipe smoker this was my first blend from G.L Pease, it will not be my last as CM is artfully crafted and very rewarding. I hope this made sense, it was the only way I could convey the smoking experience through my rookie eyes.
If you are new like me and have sampled a few aros, take a bigger step, you wont regret it.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Well, I'll be go to hell.
What a superb review of a great tobacco from a new member and self-confessed new smoker.
Please hang around, Carbonmated. (BBQ. Latakia. Do you drink bourbon, by any chance?)
Pal, you write like an English teacher's dream.
Thank you,
Fnord

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
Wow, you get that from eating BBQ? All I get is: "MMMMM!!! MEAT".
If all you get is meat my friend, you need to find another BBQ joint. Seriously :mrgreen:

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
Well, I'll be go to hell.
What a superb review of a great tobacco from a new member and self-confessed new smoker.
Please hang around, Carbonmated. (BBQ. Latakia. Do you drink bourbon, by any chance?)
Pal, you write like an English teacher's dream.
Thank you,
Fnord
Thank you Fnord,

As a new pipe smoker I cannot dissect a blend to identify red and bright Virginia, latakia,perique, orientals, etc. I thought a food comparison was a good fit for the complexity and wonderful flavor of the blend. The tin note put me off at first, the aroma was akin to peat burned in the brick fire places on the emerald isle mixed with dry hay and a pile of wet autumn leaves. It was less than pleasant. Once the bowl was packed and smoking I found the entire experience changed, I knew my direction had shifted after only a brief time with a pipe. Aromatics are a subtle, warming smoke with great room note. But, CM was a full flavor taste I have been looking for. I think the English blends will quickly become a favorite of mine.
Thanks for taking the time Fnord
Regards,

Carbon
P.S.

I do not drink bourbon, That is any more. I have been sober for almost 15 years. In the past I had been known to do magic tricks, I would make full bottles disappear...... :rofl:
Cheers M8

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
Carbonmated, congratulations on being sober since 2000, me 1989. I think using food is a great metaphor to describe the tastes you experienced. Over time I think you'll start to discern the flavors of the tobacco and then be able to make the connection. I don't have that ability like Jiminks does. Check out his reviews, they are my first stop to seeing what it will be like. You might just be him in an apprenticeship.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
GPL does fine work. You can find a blend that isn't to your taste, but all (I've tried) are well crafted. Especially if you are a moderate smoker, upscale blends don't cost so much more. Other favorites are PC's Russ O., C&D, and MacClellands and Mac Barens HH series.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Great write up. It's on my try list, just never got around to it.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Dear God, Carbonmated. I hope to blessed Christ, I didn't offend you. You have my sincerest apologies if I did.
I have so many friends who've battled through various addictions and I'm double-damned grateful for each one of those cats still enjoying the ride.
I asked my question because you obviously have acute olfactory and gustatory senses and that's that.
From hereon I will quietly sit back quietly and enjoy your incredibly well written tobacco reviews and maybe ask you what you think about this blend or that. However, this comment, "In the past I had been known to do magic tricks, I would make full bottles disappear...... [:rofl:]" was one of the funniest remarks I've read around here in ages.
Well done. Well written. Well played.
My very best to you and yours, Carbonmated.
Fnord

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
Oh Dear, please fnord your apology is completely unwarranted!!
Good sir, NO OFFENSE taken at all. I am proud of my sobriety, share my stories with others struggling, in hopes that one day they may find the inner fortitude to face the demon head on and and beat it like a harp seal. I remember the night of my last drink every day, if I forget how close to death I really was I could fall down again, that is not an option.
I had taken a dear friends motorcycle to detail it for her, left my scooter at her house in case she needed it. When I returned she gave me a bottle of Rain vodka. I drank the entire bottle and then in a drunken haze took her bike for a spin. Being impaired I had no remembrance of the sharp corner at the end of her street. I have no idea how fast I was going, but by the hand of god that motorcycle stopped 2 inches away from the block wall of a home. I was on the bike, sideways, my right ankle touching the house. I like to think that my skill as a rider got me through, but I know a higher power had the handle bars that night. I was sober in an instant, I remember every heartbeat as the bike went sideways across that yard. So, I lost a dear friend that night and in doing so, through my own ignorance, I lost my addiction. I have been sober ever since.
Much respect Mr. fnord,

Carbon

Status
Not open for further replies.