PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
I think he makes -- overall --- the best line of tobaccos on the market today.

The ones I recommend the highest are:

Odyssey (best Balkan around, IMO)

Maltese Falcon (a great all-day English)

Chelsea Morning (a great light English)

Filmore (my favorite Va/Per)

Cairo (orientals and VA)

Sextant (a Navy flake with latakia)

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
It's nearly impossible to go wrong with a G.L. Pease blend.
My favorites -
Maltese Falcon

Lagonda

Sextant

Westminster
All of those are pretty much in the English-style.
For a really great Virginia, try Union Square. It's delicious.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I love Quiet Nights. I have some Sextant but have yet to crack open the tin. I have been wanting to try some Odyssey. It sounds really good.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
It's nearly impossible to go wrong with a G.L. Pease blend.
I agree with Kevin.

These are my favorites in no particular order-
1.Quiet Nights

2.Meridian

3.JackKnife Plug

4.Barbary Coast

5.Sextant

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
only one i know of personally is haddo's delight. It's spicy and has a good nic hit - both pros in my opinion.
edit to add: it's also very dry-smoking. Never a gurgle or goop at the bottom. easy to smoke all the way down.

johnny

Lurker
Sep 30, 2010
Haddo's Delight, Union Square and Maltese Falcon are the only ones I've tried. I love Haddo's and Maltese Falcon. Union Square not so much but others love it... I'll have to try some aged and see if I like it then

quaffer

Lurker
Sep 8, 2012
Westminster. Second only to Penzance in the world of English blends, in my opinion.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I have only sampled GLP Westminster. This blend is on par with Samuel Gawith offerings. As I'll make my way through other GLP blends I'll have more thoughts. But I was thoroughly satisfied.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Haddo's and Jackknife Plug are two of my favorites. When I was an English smoker, I used to smoke a lot of Pease blends, I thought he made just about the best English blends on the market.

macattack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2012
Jackknife Plug and Union Square are the only GL Pease Blends I have tried and they're both fantastic. Cairo and Haddo's are gonna be next for me.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've thought about maybe grabbing a GL Pease blend. I'm not into Latkia/Oriental tobaccos at all really. So, I'd have to hunt down a VA, VAPer, or VA/Burley blend in his line.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
All the hype over Odyssey made smoking it a bit of a let down. It's not a lat bomb or the best balkan I have ever had. It's decent, but I found it lacking latakia and lacking VAs/Orientals: allow me to explain. The latakia was very strong, but not as strong as (in my opinion) 3 Oaks Syrian. It was also not balanced enough to make the latakia an equal partner in the blend, like (in my opinion) Robert McConnell Oriental. It was neither enough latakia nor too little and for me it wasn't "just right" it was just meh. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't BAD, far from it, but when you read reviews, you expect to be WOWed, and I wasn't.
Bottom line: you just have to try them for yourself to see. :lol: Happy shopping!

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
I have smoked Maltese Falcon, very nice blend. I have unopened tins of Westminster and Trlple Play.

bclarke

Lurker
Aug 25, 2011
Maltese Falcon is a favorite. To me, it tastes like my meditation incense smells, if that makes sense. I also think gin tastes like Scotch tape smells, so take that for what it's worth.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Bclarke, People use "incense" as a descriptor for latakia all the time, so you certainly aren't wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.