PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I've heard very little about this blend on the different forums, but it's fast becoming a favorite for me. When I first opened it a while back, I thought it was very ho-hum -- just another blend with Latakia doing all the heavy lifting, and not much else in the way of finesse or balance. Skip ahead three months and the same blend is amazingly good. It reminds me a touch of Balkan Sobranie, but also Dunhill 965. And yet it has the characteristically clean flavor profile of the Pease brand.
The Latakia is there alright, but there's a nice, dry nuttiness that comes through from the VAs and orientals. It's all very nicely balanced, a little musty and a little smokey, but not overpowering in the Latakia department like Odyssey or Lagonda can be. And it left a nice, refreshing aftertaste. Unfortunately, I think this fine blend just gets lost in the ever-growing GL Pease stable.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I've yet to try those, kashmir, but I think I might try more of the Pease lineup. Chelsea Morning was a revelation to me when I first tried it a couple of years ago and I still really like it, but I got put off by Odyssey and Lagonda -- the Latakia just seemed over the top, especially Lagonda. Caravan I've liked -- it's got some burley in it so it's especially dry, but Abingdon is better, to me. I've also got some tins of Samarra lying around (one is about 10 years old), so I'm looking forward to trying that for the first time.

May 31, 2012
I'm working my way thru the GLP lineup, looking most forward to popping some Gaslight here inna week or two.
My problem is that I smoke too little and an open tin takes me a while to go thru, I peak about 5 pipes a day, but often I end up only smoking one pipe.
I was turned on by Odyssey, it was a chameleon blend for me, and magic how it smokes so bold and assertive yet retains subtle shifting undercurrents.
Maltese Falcon I like alot too.
I got a long way to go to make it thru the whole catalog to find my preferences, but it's beena helluva fun ride so far!
Yet to try Abingdon, but it's been high on the list, after reading your report I'm imbued with more urgency to discover the sacred geometries of the Magic Octagon!
I wish the tin was British Racing Green!

1969_MGC_GT_Sebring_WOrks_Rally_Race_Car_Rear_1.jpg

Abingdon-1.jpg

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
This one doesn't get as much attention, perhaps, as some of GLP's newest blends, but Abingdon has been a cult favorite for many years now. I've know several guys who have smoked it heavily since the mid-2000s. It is, according to Pease himself, something of a homage to the Balkan Sobranie 759. Of course, GLP also stresses there is no way to truly recreate such a blend for several reasons, not the least of which is that classic blends like BS 759 actually had many iterations. In any case, Abingdon is generally considered to be a very good reproduction of that legendary blend. I'm glad you've discovered it! One caveat: It improves exponentially after a year or two of aging. Seriously, the difference is profound.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
It is, according to Pease himself, something of a homage to the Balkan Sobranie 759.
Interesting. I didn't know that. I've had Balkan Sobranie (thanks, misterlowercase!), but I've never had BS 759.
One caveat: It improves exponentially after a year or two of aging. Seriously, the difference is profound.
I totally forgot, but I have a tin of 2005 Abingdon I've yet to open. With 8 years on it, I bet it's very different from the recent vintage.

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
I totally forgot, but I have a tin of 2005 Abingdon I've yet to open. With 8 years on it, I bet it's very different from the recent vintage.
Lucky you - you can do a vertical flight and see how it changes over time.
A while back I opened both a 10 year old GLP Hado's Delight and a new one - the differences were amazing.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
One of my favorite Pease Latakia blends. Definitely worth trying now and cellaring for the future.
Bob

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
Of the Classic Collection, I'd wager that Abingdon is the most popular. It has 94 reviews on tobaccoreviews.com, whereas the others are Charing Cross at 73, Blackpoint at 65, Piccadilly at 59, Stratford at 44, and Kensington at 42. And while that may not be indicative of sales, it's probably at least loosely correlated.
First of all: all of these blends are, at worst, good. I've had sublime experiences lately with 6 year old Blackpoint and 10 year old Kensington, which are probably my two favorites in the series.
I agree with the characteristic 'clean' taste of the Pease blends, and especially those in the Classic Collection.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
escioe, interesting analysis. It seems that all of the Classic Collection blends fly under the radar for the most part. With so many Latakia blends in the Pease lineup, it's hard to stand out, even if you're a very, very good blend.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Hey Pitch, did you ever open that tin from 2005?

I just received a tin from 2004, haven't cracked it yet. I've way too many open at the moment. I keep looking at this tin though...... mighty tempting. I love Abingdon, but have never smoked any with any real age on it. Is it still in your rotation?

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Well, I still have too many open tins, and its hot and humid here in central Ohio.......I'm gonna wait till the leaves start to turn, those great crisp fall days of autumn, to crack mine. The Lat blends just "pop" for me when its cooler.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Abingdon is my "go to" tobacco. I smoked a Peretti's English for years but when I tried Abingdon I never looked back. If you like Vapers, Piccadilly is also great. I keep a tin of Sextant on my desk all the time. If you like a traditional Navy Flake that's a good one. Sixpence and Quiet Nights are a little to heavy for this time of year but they're part of my winter rotation. Pease's blends are always interesting. I've been working my way through them a tin at a time. I also like Blackpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.