PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jharris

Lurker
Jul 25, 2014
I am new to this brand any suggestions on which ones to try? I have heard good this. I have Abigidon and it is soso.
Thanks!

Josh

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome, Josh. I don't know how new to pipe smoking you are, so it is difficult to know what

you might like among the GLP blends. If you have any experience with burley and know that

you like it, you might want to try Triple Play. It's a good robust blend that comes in a plug you

carve off in slices and "rub out, " break up. But if all this is a little ahead of where you are, I know

you'll get a number of other suggestions since there's a lot to choose from.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Haddo's Delight is a must-try blend in the Pease line, especially if you're looking for something without Latakia.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
You might find this difficult to believe but whilst visiting 'Woodsroad' the other week myself and Andre stopped off at this Mall which also had a cigar outlet. In the corner they had a pipe tobacco section with a very limited range of stuff apart from the full range of G L Pease tobaccos. I picked up a tin of 'Jack Knife' to stretch my Condor out a bit further as I was only carrying my tobacco pouch and at $9.85 what could possibly go wrong. I must saw I was rather impressed with this stuff. Those of you here who know me understand that my taste extends to Condor, Twist and early 20th century pipes. This stuff is quite interesting, a bit on the mild side for my tastes but well worth a punt if you come across it in your travels. The only down side I can see is you will need a very sharp knife to cut this stuff up with and it does take a while to get it burning. When mixed with Condor or a pre sliced brown twist that is on the dry side it burns well but a little wet. Satisfying but a bit like Chinese food. You always want more about half an hour after you have eaten.

I stepped off into exploring Virginias and condiments with His Fog City Selections. I think for someone starting off, these are all tasty moderate strength tobaccos. What I did was try to pull the flavors of the Virginias out and then noticed how whatever condiment or treatment was added had transformed it. Yeh, I'm a nerd. ha ha. But, I definitely learned to appreciate Virginias through exploring this set of tobacs. In this set, you have Laurel Heights for a whisper of latakia, Telegraph Hill for a sweet VaPer introduction, Filmore for when you want more of the Per in your VaPer, Embarcadero for a hello to orientals, Ashbury for a Balkan intro, Montgomery for a smidge of Dark Fired Kentucky burley.

Even though I always recommend these for starters, I still enjoy any of these blends still, and I have all of them built up in my cellar already for the long haul. Good stuff.
As far as Jackknife or Triple Play as a starter into GLP, prepare for strength. It can be a bit too over powering for an all day smoke. But, I like them for my end of the day smoke.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Here is a recent thread with numerous G. L. Pease suggestions:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/suggest-a-gl-pease-blend-please-friends

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Call me old fashioned but Samarra is about the best English blend going IMHO. It's a very nice palce to begin an exploration of Pease blends.
Union Square is a Virginia (broken) flake that is very good but all of mine is from 2009. I bought some three pounds when it cam available.
Picadilly is the perfect Virginia with a light application of Latakia and other orientals
As mentioned, Telegraph Hill is my favorite VaPer in a ribbon presentation. It ages very well. I haven't delved much into the fuller Balkans although, to my taste, Abingdon is a pretty fine blend of it's type. I find all of these blends benefit from some time in the cellar.
I haven't smoked the more recent offerings but have some socked away for the future. IMHO, Greg Pease is hardto beat when you're talking latakia blends.
Mike S.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
All of them. Experiment. Your taste buds. By a few tins here and there the ones you don't like trade them away. Enjoy love the Pease

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
GL Pease has so many great blends that Eastern's advice is probably best.
As far as my personal tastes go, I would recommend the following:
Fillmore

Cumberland

Haddo's Delight

Cairo

Barbary Coast

Navigator (age this one for 6-12 mos)
Admittedly, I haven't tried his English blends so can't be of help there.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
condor, you found a tin of GLPease at a cigar outlet for less than ten bucks???? Glory hallelujah.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
If he was visiting woodsroad, chances are that the "cigar outlet" he spoke of, was probably the CI store in Bethlehem, PA. $9.85 is the going price for P&C Pease blends. If I may, Condor's posts dont come without a fine dose of wit, so I'm gonna hedge my bet that he was somewhat restrained on letting on where he "stumbled-upon" that tin. It would make sense that if in the area from NYC, and have never visited the CI/P&C flagship store, he would be doing his pipe smoking ventures a disservice by NOT paying a visit.
SURVEY SAYS!?!?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
To my mind Pease tobaccos are a bargain. He could get a few more dollars on tins, and at $70.00/lb, I think his blends are quite competitive. Great taste and complexity. Side by side with other similarly priced tobaccos, I'd go with his blends first.

Status
Not open for further replies.