PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
I've had a few bowls of MacBarren's HH Acadian Perique blend and haven't enjoyed it much. I get a little tongue bit from it. I've read a few comments on the boards here about people experiencing that pretty commonly with MacBarren so I'd like to give another brand a try.
What is a good blend that has perique front and center? Preferably something I can sample for less than $12.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Best example for the price is Stokkeybye's Luxury Bullseye Flake. It's a bulk blend that runs about $30 for a pound. Can't recall but I think a 2oz sample is probably around $5.
For tinned I'd suggest Escudo. Great staple of a VaPer and $10 a tin.
Another solid one is Anniversary Kake by Hearth&Home. It's $18 for 8oz, so it's priced really well. Comes in a 2oz tin as well for something around $8.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
You can get Gawith St. James Flake in bulk samples too- I think it is one of the best VaPers, but it definitely is a bit more advanced as far as prep and smoking technique.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
+1 on escudo and St James Flake. If you wanna add controversy I recommend Orlik Golden Sliced.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
Why is Orlik Golden Sliced controversial? It seems to be at the top every time I sort a tobacco selection by "best seller."
Have never smoked anything other than ready cut tinned tobacco I have no idea how to handle the discs that several of these suggestions come in. I might buy a sample just for that experience. Is there a good tutorial for handling them I can read/watch?

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The Perique is very subtle in Orlik Golden Sliced. Flavor wise it's very hard to pick up and most people only mention a mouth feel of Perique and not the typical spicey/pepper or fig/plum flavors.
It's a great blend, but not really a staple of a VaPer flavor wise in most people's opinion.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
Orlik Golden Sliced (OGS) is a bit controversial for the following reasons. Some think it's a. Virginia with a casing, a Va/Per with a casing, a Va/Per with NO casing, and there are a few who think its a plain old Virginia. It's all opinion. I think it's a Va/Per with no casing (or so I think). Rubbing a flake or coin out is is simple and shouldn't keep you from wanting to try these blends. There are videos everywhere.

There is so little perique in OGS that it's not even in there. At least, you won't taste it.
Acadian Perique is the absolute worst way to start a VaPer adventure. Try any and all of the suggestions. Perique tends to taste different depending on what it's mixed with and how much. I find it interesting how it can taste wild and even bitter with a yellow Virginia and soft and sweet with a red VA. Then add a burley, and things start to get complicated. I picked up some 1881 Perique cigars from Mark Ryan at the NOLA shows, and if you want a wild flavor ride, Madura wraps + long leaf perique + Filipino fillers, and then compliment it with some chicory coffee, WOW!

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Why is Orlik Golden Sliced controversial?

It used to be Orlick denied the blends had any perique at all.
HH Acadian Perique contains 5% perique, believe it or not. In the grand scheme that is enough to offer a hint of perique but not enough imho to show it's true colors. There are a lot of blends that use a small amount of perique to add a dimension, or deepen a blend, as Greg Pease once remarked. Often times small additions are not disclosed in an ingredient list. The odd thing about perique is that it seems like it's impact really depends on the constants within the blend not just the % of the whole.
Anyway I've found Triple Play to have the perique way out front and center. Lot's of blends have a very strong perique presence, as I'm sure folks will mention, but Triple play is pretty approachable, taste wise, and packs one hell of a nic punch. Best on a full stomach.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
Thanks for the advice, Cosmic (and everyone else). I received my Acadian perique sample for free from tobaccopipes.com for signing up for their newsletter. I'm glad to hear it isn't a good intro. All I really get is a capsaicin like burn that might be the above mentioned perique mouthfeel and a little tongue bite.
The way you describe yellow Virginia and perique sounds amazing. I love sour and bitter flavors. Grapefruit juice, strong IPAs, Belgian sour beers, kombucha you name it and I love it.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
A good intro to perique would be peter stokkebye Luxury Bullseye flake. If you want something where the perique is front and center I wouldn't recommend it yet.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Perique tends to taste different depending on what it's mixed with and how much.
Agreed, and is a proven fact. Adding pure Blending Perique yourself to any blend will prove this to you. Therefore the Va/Per discussion branches out to infinity.
In fact I now keep some pure Blending Perique and pure Blending Latakia on hand as I try new tobacco blends. I keep notes on my experience and then add some of one, the other, or both to the blend I purchased to bring it around to my liking if need be. In adding Perique to blends it becomes very complicated if you want to try and duplicate it again has been my experience.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
C&D Bayou Night is a favorite and a nice way to get into Perique as the flavor blends into an English-y mix.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
C&D Bayou night has also 40-50% perique, so I think it's not a good starting point. Bayou morning also has too much for a starting point perique blend imo. I started with St. James woods and it burnt the hell out of my mouth but I learned the art of slow sipping in the process.

Anniversary Cake, I've never heard anyone say that Annie Cake was too much for them. That is where I'd start. Then branch out from there into the stronger ones after you have built a relationship with Annie Cake. Also, I find that it helps to have a straight Virginia around to smoke in between VaPers. This helps me taste the perique more in the VaPer blends by giving me something to reflect on. If that makes sense.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
I love sour and bitter flavors. Grapefruit juice, strong IPAs, Belgian sour beers, kombucha you name it and I love it.
After you get a handle on perique, you might want to give some VaPers with oriental leaf a try. I love VaPers, but the oriental takes them to another level, imo. McClelland's Tudor Castle is a highly underrated blend, very elegant and well-balanced. If you want something more in-your-face, Low Country Waccamaw is also good. Quite sour, with a nice perique kick. I have a tin of Butera's Blended Flake squirreled away that I'm looking forward to trying. McClelland's Ashton Revival Pebblecut and C&D's Sunday Picnic are on my to-try list, as well.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
@Cosmic, VaOrPers are my favorite. Not to derail the thread, but how would you sum up the Sunday Picnic and Pebblecut compared to other VaOrPers?
I've got a tin of Waccamaw open right now and I really like it. I've read people saying it's too unrefined but that's what I like about it. The Oriental and the perique are right up front. Perfect after-lunch smoke to wake me up along with a cup of black coffee!

Sunday Picnic is the least sour oriental-ish, but it has that hint, it's like Escudo in tangy but you can tell it is "off" different, but not powerfully sour. Pebblecut, I love the base Virginias and those Carolinas in this, very smooth, with that hint of oriental, but the orientals are on par with the perique making it very savory, IMO. Waccamaw, I'm still learning, but it does have that sour up front, sweet and sour. That's my nutshell critique. What I like about this genre is just the variety of flavors, sensations on the tongue. It adds dimensions to the VaPer categories.

jaydublin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2015
Looks like I'm going to have to try one of the VaOrPer's now - Tudor Castle is going to be part of my next order.
Fool - don't be put off by the coins. Escudo is both wonderful in flavor and super-easy to load and smoke. It comes ready to smoke right out of the tin, moisture-wise, and the only prep is to fold them up a bit and twist them into the pipe. If you prefer to rub them out that is also simple - just like it sounds and you end up with a nice ribbon in seconds (the coins are really thin).
My own personal experience is to really focus on the retro-hale with Escudo and other perique blends. The flavor is pure heaven for me as an accent on top of the toasty VA - the perique just takes the VAs to another place. I'm taking the word of many others who know more - perique is best when it is applied to a blend with care and finesse. So I'm not looking for perique-forward. Then again, I'm always looking to experience something new and I'm far from being an expert.
But you just can't go wrong with Escudo. Happy smokes to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.