Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
I've always been a poker and scraper guy when it comes to pipe cleaning. Maintenance-wise, each day (or after each 2 to 3 bowls) I run pipe cleaners through everything, but, for hardcore cleaning, I've never used any sort of solvents to clean a pipe, and I'm not sure I would like the result--pretty much my czech tool does everything. Frankly, I think a pipe tastes better the more smoked-in it is...what say you? Does anyone else in here NOT clean their pipes with solvents (e.g., alcohol, Everclear, whatever).

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
I rarely use solvents. If there is any build up (stem, tenon...basically not cake in the bowl), however, I use some 151 on a pipe cleaner. It is a little sweet at first but dissipates quickly.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I use bourbon soaked pipe cleaners in the draft hole. I love the smell and flavour it adds, especially to burley forward blends, but to each their own.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Agree that a good number of smokes make the pipe sweeter.
I have been using hot tap water to flush the chamber and airway. There are several threads on it, and a they seem to end with a couple of folks swarming over them with 19th and 20th C ideas.
Solvents are not kind to briar, and may leach out some of the properties that make briar so fire and crack resistant.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I'm with you. I use pipe cleaners on the airway and a paper towel for the chamber after each smoke. I use a pocket knife on excess cake. I clean my pipes with alcohol maybe once a year. Next time I might try to rinse them with warm water afterwards.

It's important for me to keep things simple. I hate unneccessary fussing. So if my pipes work and taste nice without me cleaning them all the time, well then I won't clean them all the time. Once a year is ok, and I'll give them some wax and a buff as well.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
I hate unneccessary fussing.
hear! hear! But, if you read the article attached to this quote "Without regular and diligent cleaning, your wonderful new pipe will become a soggy, ill-tasting mess, and will no longer provide you with the smoking pleasure you desire." at smokingpipes, you'd be under the impression that we are somehow being lazy ignoramuses and our pipe smoking experience far less than ideal! LOL

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I use water to clean my pipes. At my place in Brazil, I only have room-temperature water. Can't be bothered to boil/heat some, and I don't use a hot water system here to heat tap water because it's not really needed. It still works fine with room temperature water.

When not here, I use hot tap water, and it seems to work fine too.
I also went so far as to load up my pipes with soap suds and went to work with a shank brush to get them very clean. It is a *neutral* soap without moisturizers, scents, etc.
But... last week, I was twisting the stem off of one of my pipes and the shank came off with it. It was a Tsuge with a fat knuckle of bamboo. Maybe the water caused this. Maybe the relative humidity of where I'm at in Brazil caused it. Hard to say. Beware, I guess. I applied some crazy glue to an area that I figured would not be exposed to the inner chamber and put it back on. Seems tight now.
Side note: That pipe was clean when the shank came off. But, there seemed to be a gap in the bamboo/briar shank connection that was impossible to clean. Without the bamboo shank, I was able to scrape a fair amount of built up gunk where the bamboo met the briar portion of the shank. It was a bit disappointing, because I couldn't see how to clean that part of the pipe without the bamboo there. And obviously, you normally can't take the bamboo off to clean it. Poor construction I was not meant to see, I guess.
Further side note: I have a Dunhill bamboo shank pipe and the mouth piece, where it fits into the bamboo shank, came off once. There is a small piece of plastic that inserts into the bamboo, so that the mouth piece/stem can fit in. One day, the inner plastic piece twisted out. This was before I was washing with water and that pipe lives in Canada. It's on the west coast, which I guess is also humid, but my home there is not humid, so I'm not sure what caused it.
Could just be an issue of bamboo shanks, I don't know.
As to every other pipe I have, the water seems to work just fine. Haven't noticed any ill effects and they taste great. They dry very fast too. I know it's heresy, but I also love the effect of soap and a shank brush for the shank and the bowl. I get a load of suds and just brush the hell out of it. My pipes taste great after that treatment, but to be very clear, I only use unscented, non-moisturized, basic soap. It's very easy to find in Brazil. I'm sure I'll find a solution in Canada as well, despite much of the soap offerings being adulterated with scents, moisturizers, etc. They must have a brand for sensitive skin or something.
A lot of people will jump out of their seats, but water and suds... Now that is clean. Try it out on a beater pipe to see how it goes.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Well, apparently yesteryear's pipe smokers didn't know any better than to huff and puff like a freight train, and their pipes were continuously sodden with OTC sewer sludge, leading to a "soggy, ill-tasting mess". In these enlightened times, science has taught us to sip slowly and delicately, creating little to no moisture and consistently leaving a fine white ash. When smoked properly, a bowl of good Virginia flake should last at least ten days, longer when smoked by a true pipe artiste. The havoc and destruction wrought by using spirits to brutally rape one's pipe is why an estate pipe older than two or three years can rarely be had, as anything but organic spring water disintegrates them.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It boils down to what I consider to be a "good smoking experience." By the time all my pipes, smoked the previous week, are cleaned and ready, the solvent is long gone to my palate.
"Without regular and diligent cleaning, your wonderful new pipe will become a soggy, ill-tasting mess, and will no longer provide you with the smoking pleasure you desire."
The writer of the above is simply wants everyone to have the same "high or low" expectation he has. We all have a personal expectation. Do what gets it takes to get you a satisfying smoke. With the pipe ... it's all about me and no-one else.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
So wait, this isn't a primer on how to wipe my ass?
Not unless you use the following assortment of tools from the article I mentioned above
Tapered Pipe Cleaners

Bristle Pipe Cleaners

Regular or extra fluffy pipe cleaners

Pipe sweetener or grain alcohol

Shank brush or cotton swab

Pipe reamer

Pipe tool or pick
Unless you use ALL of these tools to wipe your ass, you will have a "soggy, ill-tasting mess" :rofl:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Different strokes for different folks. I like to taste the flavors in my tobacco. So, my practices revolve around whatever enables me to do that. Occasionally that includes water rinses, occasionally alcohol scrubs, occasionally just pipe cleaners of various descriptions and a bit of paper toweling.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
Different strokes for different folks.
I agree sable, but as the sarcasm in aldecaker's response points out, there are certainly those that would make it seem as though caring for a pipe requires much more effort than is necessary (like the author of the article), and even preferable, in some cases. It just makes me wonder how many new pipe smokers read an article like the one I mentioned, think that that's the way it 'must' be done, then give up pipe smoking because of all the time they have to put into it (according to the article, anyway), especially since many people, like myself, even find it preferable to drink out of a "dirty glass".

Sep 18, 2015
I use Everclear when needed (not very often) mostly for estates. For the most part a pipe cleaner is sufficient, occasionally a trip to the kitchen sink with a bristled cleaner. Pretty sure I’m not gonna run water through my Bamboo shank, definitely not gonna use soap,,,

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
there are certainly those that would make it seem as though caring for a pipe requires much more effort than is necessary
That's a personal call. It might be more effort than is necessary for you. That doesn't mean that it's more effort than necessary for someone else. There's just way too much "My way or the highway" around. When asked, I'll share what works for me with regard to pipes and tobaccos. It's what works for me, not a cardinal Truth. And that's the point.
If a novice pipe smoker is going to be deterred by an article rather than personal experience, then his/her/they/its interest might not have been all that great to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.