Girlfriend's comments when I said I wanted to buy a new pipe...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
So I bought my first pipe at college 20 years ago but never took to pipe smoking - a Peterson Killarney. I recently took up pipe smoking again and bought a Falcon Coolway (training wheels I guess!) and loved it, so while away in Italy bought a Savinelli. Now I'm looking at a possible Church Warden as my next purchase. I am probably developing severe PAD! (I still only have 3 though!)
When my girlfriend looked at the laptop and saw me eying up a nice looking pipe she said "You can only get another if you get rid or sell one of the others!"
I started laughing and she looked at me with a bit of an angry frown. "You don't really get pipe smoking" I said "you'll soon understand it's as much about collecting pipes as smoking them!"
She is now coming to terms with the realisation that our flat is going to acquire more and more as the years go by! I have promised that I'll give up the few cigarettes I still smoke as a compromise!
:D

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A little education about the need to rotate/rest pipes between smokes may be needed. So a minimum of two dozen! - in jest, maybe more, maybe less.
My own experience with churchwardens is after the novelty wears off, I never smoke them. (So I have one only, and may get a new short stem made.)

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
Someone should design a pamphlet for these situations; "So your Husband/Boyfriend has PAD, what to expect".

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Bah, you only have three. Show her some pictures of a few people's collections on here and she'll see how lucky she is.
As for this:
"You can only get another if you get rid or sell one of the others!"
Respond as follow:
"Hmm, yeah, you're right, you are right, they are sort of like girlfriends that way..."
Before the misplaced hatred starts pouring in, this is, of course, a joke. Anymore it seems these things need to be pointed out.
:?

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
The correct number of pipes in a collection is n+1, where n= the number of pipes currently in the collection. :D
(credit to Patrick McManus, who originally applied this formula to the contents of his gun cabinet...)

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
As I have mentioned a time or two on this forum in different places,I have Asperger's Syndrome. (yes, I know according to the new diagnostics manual it is called something else now but I have it so I will call it what I damn well please.)
One of the things I do not deal with well as a result of being an Aspie is ultimatums. Don't care who it is, telling me do this or else or do this or this will happen, etc. never ends well for the person making the demand. I will do the opposite of what they want even if it kills me. I have no inner voice of reason in such situations. I realize this is no doubt part of why I am single but nonetheless, my question is this: how do you married or otherwise attached gentlemen not find such demands irritating, demeaning,etc.?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Mostly because I know my demands on my wife are equally, if not more so, irritating, demeaning, etc.

juanruiz

Lurker
Aug 19, 2015
" my question is this: how do you married or otherwise attached gentlemen not find such demands irritating, demeaning, etc.? "
After 36-some years of marriage I guess I got used to it. This is not to say I don't remain irritated. As the times my wife, who claims to hate shopping, spends three hours doing just that, generally ending up with 3X the number of things on her list. I, for one, believe in the Hunter-Gatherer Theory.

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
I don't really make demands of people so perhaps that is why I don't understand this situation. I have a few very simple rules regarding my house when I have company but I would classify them more along the lines of respecting me then making demands. The rules are simple: Don't touch my pipes/tobacco, don't sit in my chair, and don't sleep in my bed.
In the past when I was seeing someone, I certainly never pulled out the "do this or else". If they did something I did not like, I simply asked them not to do it. Its the more flies with honey thing.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
When it comes to money, I can spend it,PAD & TAD, Jeep etc. She likes to play bingo and "lend" money to the inlaws. It all works out, she picked out and bought my latest pipe, ain't life grand!

+1 on not making demands. Why would a couple do this? lora and I have had separate bank accounts since we met. As long as bills have been paid, we can do what we want with our money. Not that I don't discuss what I am doing, but that we do not demand this or that. I tell her I'm buying a pipe, and usually she is just as excited as me. Sometimes she'll suggest that a pipe doesn't suit me or is just ugly, and I'll take it in advisement. Just as she does with her art collections or her affinity for furs. We can suggest, but never demand. It works for us. Mutual respect.

Others, you can do or try what you want.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
This comes to mind ... :wink:
watch

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
Divorced wife for unreasonable demands!! This girlfriend is a lot more reasonable! we have an understanding. A little bit of give and take goes a long way and I think my Pipe habit will be happily tolerated!!

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
After the initial acquisitions, pipe smoking is much less expensive than a cigarette habit.

Status
Not open for further replies.