PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Well, PAD got me again as I've been eye-balling various Bing shaped interpretations. During my research, I found this Savinelli "Ginger's Favorite" which is very Bing like, and I'm presuming named for Ginger Rogers. Assuming the typical Sav quality is there, this looks like a fun smoke.
Gingers%20Fav_zpskt57wpix.jpg

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Dave I've been eyeing those Bing and Ginger shapes for a while now.
Very nice pipe. I hope she's a fantastic smoker.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I don't think Ginger Rogers smoked a pipe. More likely it's named for Ginger Baker, a more likely pipesmoker, although he probably didn't smoke tobacco in it ;)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It's a feminine looking pipe, so Ginger Rogers seems right. You don't have to smoke one to have a model named after yourself.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
I don't think Ginger Rogers smoked a pipe. More likely it's named for Ginger Baker...
Ok - so I went searching since I made a presumption (starting with our own pipe forum); I found this discussion from 2 years ago:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/savinelli-gingers-favorite#post-632912
And then - following that one, I was led to the LDG page (Laudisi Distribution Group), and they offered this: https://www.laudisi.com/savinelli-pipes.cfm/gingers-favorite-1482
Not that I mind either way, but it makes me realize that I inadvertently rekindled a simliar question of Baker v Rogers.

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
Oooo, research. Love it, even if it is contrary in its early stages.
lifesizehobbit: you the man. Thanks for the links.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just for fun, also look at Sav's Prince of Wales, in a prince shape of course. Long-stemmed and kind of jaunty.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
Well the Pipes & Tobacco site makes this claim: Ginger's favorite pays homage to Ginger Rogers, who enjoyed a pipe between scenes.
Try as I might, I can't substantiate it with any factoid I can locate on the Web. I suppose I might have to read a bio on Fred Astaire or Ginger to see if that was buried somewhere as a tidbit.
Regardless, it's been a fun path to follow.
I'm still contemplating a commission on Red Dog Pipe's Service Merchant Bing...PAD...there is no cure.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
lifesizehobbit: you the man. Thanks for the links.
Snowy - you're welcome for the links; I think it's been rather fun digging around, learning a bit about Ginger Rogers and the muse for my inbound pipe.
Cheers all!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A tin of tobacco to the first who posts a (non-photoshopped) pic of Ms. Rogers' smoking on a pipe!
Hobbit- Good to dig into this a bit; thanks.. While not abundantly clear from what I wrote, P+C initially attributed it to Baker, but later corrected itself.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
Woodsroad - When I was trying to get some form of proof to the claim, I saw that image. It just seemed a bit "promo" for a publicity shot, so I dismissed it as proof (for myself).
But kudos to you sir for getting a tin!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Nice try, Dan, but she is not clearly smoking it. Holding a prop as it were. Besides, you're the last guy who needs an extra tin. And it was going to be Smyrna!
:) Better luck next time!
:puffpipe:

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
Ok...I'll take a stab with this one; very grainy, appears to be a lift from a film. Shares some features as Ginger, but admittedly, I'm not as good on my face recognition.
e92772120289a538f884760379188c9a.jpg

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Pipe Monk, Yep,thats why I ordered mine with rusticated finish,hope it will meet my expectations further,still awaiting my parcel to arrive from the States,so far I have had pretty good experience with Savinelli med priced rusticated pipes,they pretty descent pipes taken the price,especially when I'm comparing with same medium price range Petersons,

Status
Not open for further replies.