Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drbenway

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
So I went ahead and ordered a retort from ebay to clean this new pipe out real good. Got to say it did the trick. Not a foul lakeland taste to be found anymore.

Enjoying a bowl of Balkan Sobraine in it now.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Victory! Few can claim they've conquered the diabolical Lakeland ghosts.

drbenway

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
It was pretty awful. I now have zero interest in ever trying any of them.

drbenway

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
I am going to say yes it does. I did 4 salt and everclear cleans on it and those reduced but did not remove the stank. About 4 cycles over a couple of hours with the retort fixed it right up.

Also its pretty fun to use the retort.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's the Lakelands aromatics that cause the problem. I'm aging some of the Brown Sugar Flake and look forward to it, primo Virginia. If I were impelled by curiosity to try the aromatics (and I never have been) I'd just designate an MM cob and see how I liked them. The soapy/floral/grandma's bath mat flavor and scent don't sound appealing, but some are totally devoted to them, and think of them in entirely different terms. "That certain something, I just don't know what."

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
I have tried without success. I can't wait to try this on a few of my favorite estates. Thanks for posting.

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
I have tried all kinds of other remedies without 100% success. I can't wait to try this methods on a few of my favorite estates. Thanks for sharing.

drbenway

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
Glad to be of help. Guy on ebay sells them for 15.00 and donates $ to wounded warrior group(I am not affilited).

I was rather surprised how well it worked..I figured I would do it wrong.

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
I have purchased many a pipe on eBay, invariably, it will have a Lakeland ghost. Usually I just smoke them out if possible. Otherwise, the retort is a great option.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It amazes me how many people are getting estates with Lakeland ghosts. I've cleaned dozens of estate pipes, and all I've found are chocolate/caramel/vanilla ghosts. Not one Lakeland yet. With my personal pipes if I want them Lakeland free I just burn a couple of bowls of straight Latakia in them.

Oct 7, 2016
It amazes me how many people are getting estates with Lakeland ghosts. I've cleaned dozens of estate pipes, and all I've found are chocolate/caramel/vanilla ghosts. Not one Lakeland yet. With my personal pipes if I want them Lakeland free I just burn a couple of bowls of straight Latakia in them
True this. Back in the 1980's, SG tobacco was virtually unheard of in the US. G&H was imported by a guy named Bob Lynch (after whom Bob's Chocolate is named) from the Boston area and distributed to hobbyists by him and Tom Colwell. It was not available in shops AFAIK. Yet pipes were still ghosted, despite the fact that only a minicule handful had been exposed to the Lakeland essence. It is amazing what a steady diet of Milton Sherman & Lane aromatics will do to a pipe. But the various exorcism methods advocated in threads on this forum, applied with patience, work. If you use a retort, take care and wear eye protection, just as you would in a lab.

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
Glad to hear of your success, drbenway, and your method.
It amazes me how many people are getting estates with Lakeland ghosts.
Likewise. A friend tried one bowl, but otherwise none of the ten or so local pipers I know touch the stuff. It hasn't come up at the Chicago show the couple of times I've gone, either.

drbenway

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
Thank you spartan.

Having never smoked any lakelands I was really puzzled intialy by the taste. I thought maybe it was some kind of cleaning product. But no...It literaly taste like perfume.

drbenway

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
Side note. The majority of the ghost was in the shank me thinks. Before cleaning the stem would get stuck in the pipe and I had to keep sticking it in the freezer to get it loose. After retort them stem comes out easy now.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
But no...It literaly taste like perfume.
I have come across estates that were used as marijuana pipes, and were heavily soaked in perfume and cologne to mask the odor.

Status
Not open for further replies.