PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I used to be diligent, clean out all the old cake from a new estate pipe..............

Got some old pipes from Great Britain, caked up and all, and God Damn, they smoke well with those old ghosts in the chamber.............I don't automatically "clean" those old estates no more.... :puffy:

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Well... there's friendly ghosts and then there are EVIL NASTY ONES!!! Think Caspar and then The Poltergeist!! I have one or two of my better briar pipes that, before I knew better, I smoked some GH lakeland tobaccos... years ago. Yesterday, I fired up one of these with War Horse, not exactly a shy diminutive blend. And around 2/3s down... it arouse out of nowhere... the terrible stench of someones dead ol' lady from Victorian England and grabbed me by the throat, and shouted "Where have you been, you rotten old man??!!!! shudder... 8O

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
At some point, your pipe tastes like your pipe + whatever you're smoking in it.
In contemplation, this seems most honest: none of us are separate from our histories, tobacco or otherwise.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Well... there's friendly ghosts and then there are EVIL NASTY ONES!!! Think Caspar and then The Poltergeist!!
Agreed! I have a Savinelli Oscar pipe, bought as an estate, that has a ghost of epic proportions. I have tried earnestly to exorcise this demon but to no avail. I refuse to let it beat me so I will forge on.
At some point, your pipe tastes like your pipe + whatever you're smoking in it.
"At some point" I suppose anything is possible, now isn't it?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Who ya gonna call? The only ghosts I ever consider are those Lakeland ghosts. You'd have to really love the blends with odd aromatic flavorings to enjoy that outside designated pipes. Latakia, Perique, aromatics that are tobacco forward, burley, Cavendish ... I simply don't have a problem with the echoes of those. They seem to fade, and don't diminish the flavor much, or at all, anyway. When I select a pipe for a blend, it is because it has been successful in that size and shape bowl before. The sequence of blends, except as noted, doesn't bother me.

Status
Not open for further replies.