PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I've searched on this site for this info: Is there a list of tobaccos that leave their presence in our pipes long after they have gone? In other words tobacco ghosting. roth told me that 1792 flake would ghost a pipe. What others are there? Any experiences on this situation would be appreciated.

lyle

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Des Moines, IA, USA
Every blend will leave its mark. It's just a matter of how strong the ghost comes through when switching blends.
Latakia blends and most aromatics leave the longest lasting impression. Virginia and Burley are the most "transparent." Blends with Perique and Oriental(non-Latakia) components are in the middle.
Sorry, I know that is more general/vague than you requested, but that is the basics. For a new pipe smoker, I'd recommend keeping at least the big three categories separate: aromatics, Latakia, and everything else.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
A lot of this is a personal thing, Mustang. The tonquin bean used to flavor 1792 Flake can, I am told, leave serious ghosts. Latakia and perique both can, which is why a lot of guys maintain different rotations for latakia and non-lat blends. Other smokers don't have a problem with ghosting, and smoke any blend in any pipe.
You just have to try it to find out. It;s really a personal thing.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
Lakelands can REALLY ghost a pipe. The worst offender I have found is Condor.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I don't smoke aros so don't have to worry about that. I just thought that if 1792 was a notorious ghoster that others may be bad actors too. I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to segregate pipes by lat blends or Va/Pers.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
G&H is the only one to use tonquin flavoring, right? I tried their Brown Irish Twist and didn't detect anything other than Va. So maybe it's only with some of their tobacco then?

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Lakeland blends and tonquin blends are not interchangeable IMO.
There are plenty of Lakelands which do not use tonquin, some Lakelands which use it in a blend of other essences to the point that it may not even be noticeable, and then there is 1792 where tonquin is the main event.
I think it is a mistake to use Lakeland and tonquin interchangeably...
Roth, I have seen many people say that almost every G&H blend retains a light floral scent. It may be an overgeneralization as they have dozens of blends BUT I have read the opinions of well-informed people who claim to have sensed traces of this flowery essence on all of their "unscented" and supposedly unflavoured offerings. Kendall Kentucky is one of the few that I have never heard anyone claim has that G&H signature smell.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
My day to day smoke is a 50:50 mix of bulk G&H Balkan/Cherry & vanilla. At least one of these contains the "lakeland essence"...

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
One man's ghost is another man's tasty condiment. I do not happen to like tonquin so I had to remove the ghost (took 3 salt treatments). If you like tonquin you won't mind the ghost. A man's personal preference is a man's personal preference! (Is that anything like a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do?) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.