PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cam9

Lurker
May 1, 2017
Is there a rule of thumb on how many bowls of tobacco it would typically take to ghost a briar pipe?
Thanks for all of the help I have received in the past to my newbie questions.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Depending on the tobacco, as little as one. A strong Lakeland, like Ennerdale for example, might leave a ghost in your pipe after one bowl. This doesn't mean it's ghosted forever, it just means that you will be tasting Ennerdales' essence in the next several bowls of whatever else you are smoking. However, a pipe can be permanently ghosted after (X) number of bowls, it all depends on the strength of the tobacco that has been smoked in the pipe and the material the pipe is constructed of, be it Briar, Meerschaum, Morta, Cob, etc..

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks for the heads-up on deer tongue. I always associate ghosting with Lakeland aromatic blends mostly. 'Blieve I'll pass on the deer tongue. Some people complain about Lat, but I think that depends on your taste and sensitivity. I swap around with Lat all the time and notice nothing. Or I enjoy the Lat ghost perhaps.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I have had the same experience with the latakia. I keep a dedicated pipe for the lat heavy blends. After countless bowls of lat, i have tried something else in that pipe and the ghost of latakia past is there all the time. Not necesarily a bad thing as i am a lat lover, but it inhibits the whatever else blend i try original flavor ..

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Because I was talked into trying it, I can say...

Captain Black Grape: 5 puffs and a ghost was summoned.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
To me a ghost is permanent and haunts a pipe. I've never had to deal with them as I only smoke aromatics in dedicated cobs. I've never had a problem with latakia or perique ghosts, although if i want to smoke a tobacco with a flavor that would not find such cakes congenial, I ream first.

Status
Not open for further replies.