PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I've just purchased a few pipes that I am very fond of, and I am hesitating to smoke them because I worry that one tobacco may leave a ghost thus ruining any other experiences I might have with other tobaccos.

Is there any way to tell if a tobacco will ghost the pipe? Does it have to do with type of tobacco that makes up the blend?

Thanks guys!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Usually the stronger notes will impart ghosts.

I would suggest you avoid Stanwell Melange as a starter smoke in your new pride and joys.

It'll ghost your pipe on the first puff. :D

Jul 15, 2011
Latakia and Lakeland blends will ghost a pipe worse than anything. I have found that aromatics leave a strong aroma in the pipe but it usually doesnt affect flavor all that much, but this will vary depending on how strong the flavoring is in an aromatic. Virginias and Burleys tend to not leave much of a ghost at all, at least in my experience. Your mileage may vary.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
The very best way to test a tobacco without risk is to test in a corn cob. In my experience corn cob pipe give you the best pure taste and it doesn't seem to matter what you smoke in them. Not to mention they are cheap.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
English lakeland and aromatics will ghost, in general VA tobaccos wont ghost a pipe.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Ghosting is why many smokers -including myself - keep different rotations - one for virginias and burleys, one for lat blends. Some smokers also find perique will ghost a pipe.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
In my experience Lakeland scented blends are notorious offenders, followed by cheap drug store aromatics (meaning cased, or sauced White Burleys), then flavored Cavendishes, and lastly Latakia blends. Just about everything else will leave its signature too, but nowhere near as persistently.
I once read the bold assertion that Perique adds good flavor to any tobacco, and I've never experienced anything to the contrary. As a consequence I usually break-in a new pipe with a heavy Perique blend to intentionally impart a Perique ghost. In truth, I can't say whether or not that's been a waste of time, but it doesn't seem to have hurt anything.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
Lots of good advice has been given already. I find that smoking "similar blends" in a pipe will generally not result in unwanted ghosts! The real trick is to define "similar blends"! I suggest that you let your nose decide before you pack the tobacco in your pipe. I do separate my pipes into four categories:
1. Non-Aromatic blends containing no Latakia.

2. Mild Aromatic blends.

3. Specific Aromatic blend to specific dedicated pipes (as in Captain Bob's Blend).

4. Blends containing significant Latakia.
Keeping a clean, reamed and dry pipe will speed up the process of getting rid of the unwanted ghost flavor of most blends without having to take drastic measures. Most "ghosting" problems seem to emanate from over-smoked pipes. The more pipes you have, the better. Even if you only smoke one favorite blend. Pipes will sour if too saturated with tobacco juice. Rotate your pipes and give those pipes a rest!
By the way, Captain Bob's Blend should be smoked in a clean, dry, dedicated pipe as it will ghost the pipe for a while. It is a blend containg 1/16th Latakia (very light). But, it is the Aromatic that is reponsible for ghosting pipes and I much prefer dedicating pipes just for my Captain Bob's Blend. Those ten pipes have never smoked any other blend. And, the reward is significant. If you really like a blend, I always recommend dedicating pipes to it. You will not be sorry that you did.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Thanks guys!

Im not much of an aromatic guy, so no worries there.

I'll follow all the advice and make sure to keep a couple of pipes separate for Latakia and what not.

Like I said, my concern was that all these new beautiful pipes I've purchased would be tainted by some stronger blend and never much good for any other blend.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I keep separate pipes for latakia and separate pipes for Virginia. I used to keep a pipe or 2 for only Virginia blends with perique in them but I kind of gave that up.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
And to confuse a poor new pipe smoker even more, there can also be some very pleasing crossover effects when smoking a Virginia tobacco in a pipe that has been used primarily for smoking blends containing latakia. = )

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
Two different issues here. Ghost, and purity of a first taste of a new tobacco. I agree with Barkar that if you want a clean and pure tasting of the newly bought tobacco, you should use it in a corncob or a cleaned meerschaum.
After that, dedicating an specific pipe to tobaccos that leave a ghost, according to your impressions, is up to you. I personally don't find much of a ghost from aromatics, but a lot from Latakia so I have a pipe just for it. That's all my specialization...

slowpuffer

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2012
Personally, I haven't had too many issues with ghosting in pipes although there have been a couple of times that I made sure to clean out the pipe with some rum afterward to prevent it from happening. If you are worried, break it in with a Virginia or Burley and you won't have to worry.

kyletheaviator

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2012
I would suggest you avoid Stanwell Melange as a starter smoke in your new pride and joys.

It'll ghost your pipe on the first puff
I had a sample of that about a month ago, and my pipe is still haunted...

Status
Not open for further replies.