"ghost grain" over true grain on two older pipes.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

catskillcal

Lurker
Jul 15, 2017
So have a decent little collection of pipes, predominately estates that I have refurbed. Yet on one "no name", and a free state peterson I've noticed a consistent grain like pattern that overlays the true grain of the briar, not to mention runs opposite the general grain pattern. Each line in this "ghost grain" seem to follow a pattern as would the true grain of the briar. I have several newer pipes made between the 1970s and present year that do not show this quality. Both pipes with this "ghost grain" are unvarnished and have been sanded and re-treated with oil during their refurb processes. Has anyone ever seen this in a pipe before, any theory or explanations to this occurrence? By the way I'm new here and hope my inquiry is placed under the right category, especially this being my first question. Thanks

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Welcome to the forum Catskillcal, can't say I'm really familiar with two sets of grain on one pipe, pictures would sure help if possible.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Sounds like growth rings (not visible on all pipes, and look pretty weird the first time you notice them).

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Going to agree with George. Sounds like the ring grain of the briar. I have a couple like that.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I would like to see this.
Lower half of the bowl.
img_20170716_002151-337x600.jpg

May 4, 2015
I had a pipe I stripped that showed this as well. It only showed up after stripped. There is grain one way and rings another.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I've noticed this before, but I just thought it was uneven application of the stain or that certain portions of the wood absorbed more stain than others due to density/porosity variations in the wood.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
You're seeing a hint of what would be left if the softer fibers were cleared away with a sandblast.

catskillcal

Lurker
Jul 15, 2017
So here's a few pictures that probably do not give justice as far as showing what I'm writing about. If you notice the glare on the pipes, this is on purpose to hopefully show the lines as they are very faint, yet if you where to hold the pipe in hand and rotate it under a light at certain positions these grain like lines can be seen quite clearly. Hope the images will help.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9JjPNIiGJaIbVZCNlVEYjBEa2FtaTVhcFpFM19xOUgxeU9V[/img]
open
open
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9JjPNIiGJaIbVZCNlVEYjBEa2FtaTVhcFpFM19xOUgxeU9V [/img]
open
open

catskillcal

Lurker
Jul 15, 2017
Wow not even on the site for an hour and I got some great info. Thanks for taking the time and help. I don't think I've quite figured out how to make pictures show up in a post, but hey can win em all. But growth rings? now that hadn't crossed my mind, I was thinking this might be on the rarer side of topics, as I looked for a while on the web to find any other examples and found nothing. Thanks again.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Postimage; Dropbox, etc.), or on virtually any site, select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Growth rings exposed by sanblasting:
-
P1010262.jpg

-
-
-
Growth rings on an unfinished pipe (just water):
-
P1010263.jpg

catskillcal

Lurker
Jul 15, 2017
jpmcwjr- I'll have to work on the the image thing, for now the few pictures that have been shown by other members show exactly what I'm seeing in the two pipes, And (georged) I took a few minutes last night to look over some pics of sand blasted pipes, and It's pretty cool to see the things that I wouldn't have noticed had I not asked.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Welcome to a group of fun pipe smokers, and cigar smokers, and just generally tobacco friendly folk who willingly share their expertise, opinion, and personal problems.

I too, may have learned why I see horizontal lines in the finish of my straight grained Sav Autograph when I hold it just right.

Here I thought it might have been the remnant of machining.

hillbillyjosh

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2017
Briarwood is beautiful. Those sure are some beautiful pipes. I will own one, one day.

For now gonna stick with my cobs. MM's are forgiving.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
TLQ4nKG.jpg

Yes, there are growth rings perpendicular to the xylem in briar, sometimes they are nearly invisible, other times they show up strongly, and I'm not sure why. As George says, usually they are what is left over when you sandblast, because the late wood and early wood are of different densities.

Status
Not open for further replies.