PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I was reading this description of the Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Ltd. Ennerdale Flake:
Our best selling flake by a wide margin. Predominately virginia leaf from Brazil, Zimbabwe and Malawi (86%) but with the addition of sun cured Malawi (10%) to add sweetness, strength and to cool the smoke and Malawi Burley (4%) to “carry the flavour” in addition to its cooling and strength qualities. (Burley is very good at absorbing casings and flavours) A background flavour of Almond is enhanced with the addition of fruit flavours, vanilla, and the special ‘English type’ flavours which give this tobacco its distinctive, yet typical ‘English’ Aroma associated with the UK best selling brands such as Condor, St Bruno and mellow virginia.
It sounds delicious, but having been smashed up by the horrific rosewater soap Lakeland "essence" before, I wanted to ask. How strong is this background flavoring? Is it a light flavoring like what smells like plum wine used on a lot of tobaccos, or is it more like American aros, a thick sugary dip?

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
There is nothing but "background " flavoring IMO. If you don't like other Lakelands then steer clear of Ennerdale.

Mar 1, 2014
A fresh tin may actually be bitter upon lighting the first bowl, definitely overpowering, it even made me recoil away from my pipe, but the description of "soap" has never been accurate. Soap tastes alkaline, this is nothing like that. It may sound like semantics to some but I say it's only similar in smell.

The bulk flake is much more subdued than the tinned stuff, which may be good or bad. I find it less sweet, but you don't recoil from it on lighting the first bowl. I think it's perfect after you've opened the tin and just let it air out a little bit (just a bit, basically just a few minutes with the lid off and then wait a day. Also DGT is awesome with this blend).

It's kind of fun having a new association to the smell. Maybe I'm just too far off the beaten path but I don't come across that smell very often, so when an old lady walks by the first thought through my head is usually "where's the tobacco?"

Mar 1, 2014
I also want to note that it is very different from something like Samuel Gawith Grousemoor. I don't know what the topping is but I found Grousemoor is basically like smothering yourself in baby powder, but the flavour never really picks up like Ennerdale does.

Not all Lakelands are equal.
Any way you look at it the Lakeland blends are certainly an adventure. Maybe the pipesmoking equivalent of skydiving or bungee jumping, probably terrifying at first, but some grow to love it.

P

pipebuddy

Ennerdale is Lakeland essence at its best (for me, at least).

It smells big time of almonds and citrus. And I mean, big time. It's probably the best aromatic I have smoked. You have to give it a shot and don't let yourself be put off by the tin aroma. When smoked, it's really a great smoke. And people will tell you they love the roomnote. I always ensure I have a few tins in my cellar.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
There is a lot of bias on the boards toward aromatics in general. “Real pipe smokers smoke natural (non-topped, non-cased) tobacco.”When I was new the rationale for this was that there were plenty of flavors available in the tobacco itself, so why resort to artificial means? Made sense to me, and I studiously avoided tobacco that had been sauced. I remember getting a half-pound of Peacehaven that I gave away as it is topped and at that time in my smoking career was no good to me.
But flavor is flavor, and although I love Mr. Pease's blends, I've traded away about 4 pounds of Navigator for JackKnife Plug and haven't tried Sixpence. But I finally tried Grousemoor in the last year, and were not the flamboyant Lakelands a lesser choice for my budget than Motztek, HU, GQ and the traditional English Plugs, I probably would have bought some of them.
So I've loosened up on the matter.
To each his own, like what you smoke and smoke what you like, serves as a good introduction to this point.
But a word about the word "soap" that I read so often to describe the flavor of Lakelands, which in this sense is close to the judgment of one member about the slight "soapiness" that he has detected in Dark Flake, which he very much dislikes. More power to him, but for me I feel that being so strongly influenced to not smoke sauced tobacco has been limiting, and thus I question why a hint of any flavor should give pause to anyone who might otherwise enjoy a tobacco. He would of course reply that he despises that flavor. OK. Gotcha. Maybe I can get away with calling this aversion bias. Don't know. But in any case I hear in him the same bias that has limited me.
As for the word "soap," it strikes me as a bias thrown up by those who got a face full of scenting that they didn't know how to integrate; a boatload of taste stimulation which they threw out rather than attempted to integrate. I freely admit that the strong Lakelands are strongly scented. What I suggest is that there was a lack of willingness to at least try to bring them into the array of tobaccos they could enjoy. Lastly, a single word, that is soap, doesn't begin to describe the complex array of scents in a strongly scented Lakeland. I believe Dark Flake Scented is only topped with a single scent, and I'm sure there are others whose number of scents is few, but in any case why not say that you don't like Rose Geranium or Almond or Tonquin Bean. The word “soap,” I think, is both imprecise and used for Lakeland bashing.
Just my thoughts, folks, and if you dislike Lakelands for whatever reason, that is certainly your choice.

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
Ennerdale is Lakeland essence at its best (for me, at least).

It smells big time of almonds and citrus. And I mean, big time. It's probably the best aromatic I have smoked. You have to give it a shot and don't let yourself be put off by the tin aroma. When smoked, it's really a great smoke. And people will tell you they love the roomnote. I always ensure I have a few tins in my cellar.

+1
My family says it smells like Juicy Fruit Gum in the tin, I buy it in the 500g and jar it. I would of never tried it based on the reviews from TR.com, but luckily for me I had never read them when I ordered some Ennerdale and some Bob's Chocolate Flake. One day when I have some extra cash I would like to order some of the plug from GQ. They ended up being in my top ten and still are after a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.