PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

soggycitybob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2013
Portland, OR
I recently received a lovely Butz Choquin purchased from Ebay, and the seller included a surprise bonus - a sample little packet of Gawaith Hoggarth Ennerdale Flake. At first sniff I turned up my nose and thought, "this is an 'old man' tobacco". But I just tried a bowl and was very pleasantly surprised.
It turned out to be more of a sweeter aromatic. I liked the chocolatey and floral room notes, and the tobacco smoked cool and flavorful. In fact, I'm still tasting a reminiscent of the sweet flavor 30 minutes afterward.
I see in previous topics that the Ennerdale flake is categorized as a 'scented' rather than an 'aromatic'? Not sure what the difference is, but I like it. I also see that the Ennerdale leaves a notorious ghost in a pipe and should likely have its own dedicated pipe. Any other opinions?

patiobum

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
Glad you like it. It seems to be one of those blends that you like it or hate it. And it will ghost a pipe, so do dedicate a pipe for this blend.
Another blend of Gawith Hoggarth that I like is Bob's Chocolate flake, a blend of burley, virginia and a small amount of latakia. Rum Flake is good also.
Another Lakeland blend by Samual Gawith is Grousemore that has a similiar cool and flavorful taste.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Ennerdale is a wonderful, tasty, and satisfying blend IMO. And yes, dedicate only certain pipes to this blend unless you never intend to sell a pipe. Otherwise puff away brother. :D

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I think "scented" is just the adjective used to describe flavored tobaccos. Ennerdale and the other Lakeland aromatics are flavored (scented) with all natural ingredients, unlike American aromatics that use some synthetic flavorings. But the Brits use really weird flavorings. Kendal Flake, one of my favorites, uses things like geranium, rose, heliotrope (another flower), tonquin bean and musk (seriously). Kendal Flake is similar to Ennerdale, so you may find you like that, too.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I tried it and didn't like it. Guess the Lakeland floral thing just isn't for me. Now unfortunately it has ghosted the hell out of one of my favorite pipes. The ghost does seem to be fading though slowly as I've had bowls of other blends in it since then.

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
Sometimes Gawaith Hoggarth Ennerdale Flake is the only thing that will scratch that itch. Bob's Chocolate Flake is very good and I have cellared many pounds of that, and it only gets better with age.
:puffpipe:

soggycitybob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2013
Portland, OR
I've seen a bit on the boards about the Bob's Chocolate Flake. I'll definitely have to try that and some other GH blends soon.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Or if you're in line in the box pass there are plenty of pipes that need some love and new blends smoked in them.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Aaaah....Ennerdale. I have 1 kg cellared. Wife calls it "whore tobacco" because of the perfumey room and 'stache note. Awesome VA/Bur, good N kick, don't smoke it too wet or too dry or it bites. Tastes like it smells.
The flavor lingers around for a while, not a bad thing. If I ever started smoking indoors, this would be on the "allowed" list.

Status
Not open for further replies.