PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Just got this via UPS yesterday and had to share my thoughts.

First, I need to thank Sallow for bringing this to my attention via his Brown Flake post. Gawith & Licorice together sounded like a match made in heaven to me. I went to SPC and saw the Brown Flake Liquorice was sold out, so over to P&C and Bing, something similar called Dark Flake Liquorice.

P&Cs Description: "...made of the well-known component tobaccos used in all their dark flakes - Fire cured and air cured leaf, pressed to mature and marry the flavors. This hearty, robust flake is finished with natural licorice flavor to make it smoother and more enjoyable."

As soon as I bent down to pick up the box from my porch, I smelled anise! When I opened the bag to jar it and sniffed, mostly pure GH pure tobacco aroma. This flake is their typical long dark flake, soft and easy to rub. I quickly partially rubbed some out on my desk to dry. Over the next couple hours, when I walked into my office I immediately smelled the anise with a pretty strong tobacco aroma underneath.

I loaded this in both a MM Diplomat (which I smoked first after dinner) and a GBD Canadian.

Charring light revealed a bit of the licorice flavor and a hint of that lakeland aroma. I don't know if this is supposed to have that floral flavor, but it was faintly there. The anise/licorice quickly faded to pure tobacco goodness. The lakeland flavor was very faint and understated, but kept coming up here and there throughout the smoke. When It's not overpowering or dominant, I enjoy the flavor very much. there were times I caught a bit of licorice in the first 1/2 of the bowl, especially exhaling through my nose, but tobacco was definately the dominant flavor. The 2nd half was dominant tobacco with a very little bit of sweetness on the sides of the tongue. Nicotine was respectable, as expected, but not overpowering.

This morning, I smoked it in the GBD canadian with a cup of back coffee, and got just a little anise flavor and nicotine bump (empty stomach) but still not overpowering.

I would highly recommend this tobacco. It may not replace Irish Flake in my rotation, but I.F. Will definitely share pipe time with this new addition. My only regret is I only ordered 11oz. and It's now sold out :crying:

I hope this was helpful to those who are considering trying it, or just looking for something like this.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
How does it compare to IF? Can you draw a comparison to the va/bur base in IF?

I don't detect any burley in this, but in all my years of smoking IF I don't really get it in that much either. Both are tobacco forward, but the licorice is a little more noticeable in in the DFL, not to mention the floral component. DFL is also just a little sweeter than IF, but we're talking small degrees. Sorry if my descriptions are a little vague. Hope this comparison helps a little

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Thanks for this, mackeson. Good to know that (1) it is anise and not something else, and (2) it is not too much of an aeromatic. I am looking forward to trying this now and will grab some in my next order if it is available.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Eleven ounces sounds like a good supply to me, but I'm a moderate smoker. Licorice seems to be newly elevated in the Forums favorite flavorings.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
Eleven ounces sounds like a good supply to me

You are likely correct MSO. I just like it enough to add it as a regular and am hoping it is available again soon so I can buy a full pound to have on hand. I get nervous about availability when I really like a blend. --especially these days

Status
Not open for further replies.