GH Brown Irish Twist

(17 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by mustanggt
  • Latest reply from mikephillips
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anyone try this stuff? I bought some and jarred it couple of weeks ago. It smells really potent so I'm looking forward to it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

It is potent and it is ballsy for you to step up and try it. Enjoy!

Oh, and have a sweet beverage at hand

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. lordnoble

lordnoble

Mod

Login to Send PM

I'm such a Vitamin-N lightweight, but I'm always tempted to try Nic-heavy blends. Thankfully, I have no way of buying this locally. Room spins are no fun.

-Jason

The preceding statement is not to be construed as fact, but merely conjecture.

Proud member of the BlackBlood Society
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bought 17oz of Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Bulk Brown "Happy" Bogie,they say these 2 are similar, and I love it.Will buy more to let age...

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. gnatjulio

gnatjulio

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have some coming in tomorrow. Won't be able to smoke it for a while (knocking out most of my open tins), but I'm looking forward to trying it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. strugglingthinker

strugglingthinker

Login to Send PM

I have some and tried to smoke a bowl of this alone. Wow. I prefer strong Nic blends (e.g., Irish Flake, Jacknife Plug, etc.). SG Brown Rope No 4 is the end of the line, brother. I usually ADD some to other blends that I find weak. However, I have not attempted to smoke a "pure" bowl of it since my first encounter. The taste is great. It's actually fairly smooth to me. Not bitter. Fair aroma. Yet, the N will sneak up on you like you cannot imagine.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke it every day, all day, and love it. It has a dark, woody sort taste that I love in a tobacco. It's relatively strong, but there are stronger tobaccos out there.

If you're after a butload of flavor, this stuff is where you'll find it. Don't be afraid of it, embrace it

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. dottle

dottle

Login to Send PM

Ive been meaning to put some on my TAD list, sounds like its good stuff.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mike, aint afraid of it. I do embrace the butt load of flavor. Looking forward to it. Thanks fellas.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hmmm. I like nic-heavy blends. Will have to try this. Dang TAD..... thanks a lot guys.......

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tried half a bowl of this out of a Peterson Dublin in a silver mount. It is a very full and potent blend to say the least. I like it for a now and then smoke but not daily. It needed a long time to dry out fully enough to smoke. I'd buy more if the opportunity arose.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tried half a bowl of this out of a Peterson Dublin in a silver mount. It is a very full and potent blend to say the least. I like it for a now and then smoke but not daily. It needed a long time to dry out fully enough to smoke. I'd buy more if the opportunity arose.

Yep, it's fairly wet when you get it. I like to take about 4" or so, cut it into thin slices and rub it out, then spread it out in a box lined with foil that I use specifically for this purpose. Takes anywhere from a few hours to maybe 8, to have it just about right. I've found the stuff smokes best when it's pretty dry, and won't bite at all. If you fire it up when it's still a bit too damp, it's still smokeable, but will be hard to tamp, harder to keep lit, and will bite pretty easily.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I thought I had it dry enough yesterday but it weren't and bit like a rabid dog. For sure you gotta dry it out and then dry it out some more. After that it is a dandy smoke.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. strugglingthinker

strugglingthinker

Login to Send PM

Wow. I'm pretty impressed by some of you guys saying you smoke this stuff every day. Again, I can take the Nic hit. Is brown Irish twist the same as brown rope #4? That's what I thought we were discussing. The taste, I think, is pleasant but rather a one note taste. That one note is tasty. Mike, man, you smoke BR#4 all day, every day? Your beard must have a beard. Your pipes must have beards.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thinker,

The brown rope #4 is a bit stronger, quite a bit different in flavor in my opinion, but just as excellent a smoke. I'm smoking the Irish twist for my all-day right now, haven't any of the brown rope #4 left and I'm down to Brown irish twist and Black irish XX for my all-day'ers. Except I do try not to smoke the black XX around people too often, it's a real stinker when it's burning. What's worse, is an hour or so after you finish the bowl, the "room note" stales and begins to stink like a turd, until it finally dissipates after a couple more hours. I keep some apple-cinnamon air freshener for when I finish a bowl of it indoors.

The thing about the nicotine punch...I don't really notice it anymore. Used to a little, but after a few days back on the pipe, I quit paying attention to it.

You're right about the flavor, though...the Irish twist is more complex than the BR#4, but frankly I like the slightly less complex for an all day smoke. Less distracting

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had three bowls of this yesterday or should I say 2 1/2 as I couldn't finish the last half. I smoked the last bowl after lunch and just got to the point where I felt like I just piged out on desert. I didn't feel sick just full. I smoked an oscuro wrapper cigar one time that made me feel like I pigged out on cake and icecream. So I've learned my limit with this stuff. Very tasty though. I like it alot.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had three bowls of this yesterday or should I say 2 1/2 as I couldn't finish the last half. I smoked the last bowl after lunch and just got to the point where I felt like I just piged out on desert. I didn't feel sick just full. I smoked an oscuro wrapper cigar one time that made me feel like I pigged out on cake and icecream. So I've learned my limit with this stuff. Very tasty though. I like it alot.

Welcome home, Brother, welcome home

I absolutely love the flavor of this twist, and that it won't bit if properly dry is almost as important to me. The strength of it I barely notice unless I don't have something to drink handy, and even then I don't start getting that tickle in my throat until I'm halfway through a bowl. I guess I probably shouldn't smoke a fairly stout tobacco so much, but I guess you only live once, might as enjoy it.

Anyway, glad you enjoy it. Won't be long before you'll be like me, walking around all day with a smouldering cob filled with it

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   darwin, owen, eightywon, pipinho, harveylee