PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

klause

I get excited about every pipe I acquire, but this one has me super excited! I saw this last night, and moved on quickly as I was awaiting the outcome of something else I had my eye on. Well, this morning it was still there, and the attraction was as strong as the night before - there is a diamond waiting to be released from all the muck and grime - and, before I knew what I was doing, I had submitted by best, and ridiculously low, offer.
I waited. Then waited some more. Not in vain - my Offer was accepted - WAHOO!
This little Urchin, my first Getz, is heading my way:
Getz1.jpg

Getz2-e1436960741373.jpg

Getz3-e1436960704270.jpg

Getz4-e1436960689111.jpg

Getz5-e1436960674736.jpg

I think it's gorgeous.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Fantastic!! I can't wait to see what you do with her once you get it in...congrats, I love how excited you got, especially when you won it at such a great price.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I see why you were attracted to it. Congratulations and nice score! I haven't ever heard of the make, but I can see its beauty already. I look forward to the clean up pics.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
All that charring at the rim and on down the bowl suggests it is a pipe that has been ardently enjoyed. With restoration, I bet it will be beautiful again -- it already is in terms of shape and stem.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Surprised at the condition of the Getz, I'm sure it was smoked hard, and often. I enjoy my Getz Reverse Calabsh but it is in nearly in as good a shap as the day it arrived. Can't wait to see that pipe in its full beauty again!

banjo

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Never heard of the line before this post, very nice looking pipe indeed.
Looking at the link papipeguy posted, they still make some very interesting shapes. Those of you in the know, how is the quality/smoke of the Getz pipes?

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
"I'm Leo Getz, and whatever you want, Leo gets."
Sorry, couldn't resist the Lethal Weapon Reference.
That pipe has beautiful lines! I am sure she will be a true gem once she's been spruced up a bit!
Congratulations.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Well, I can't say any reverse calabash style of pipe was a bad smoke and that is what kind I have from Getz. His pipe was the second reverse calabash I bought then I got trading emails with Luca at Neat Pipes about seeing if he could get Radice to make one of his AEROBilliard pipes in Morta but rusticated. Luca told me he'd had that conversation and was expecting a few shortly so I was one of the first to be notified when he got them and I got the first rusticated Morta AEROBilliard. Now I have them in briar, Morta and corn cob and like I said I don't think you'll get one that doesn't smoke great. As far as his regular pipes are concerned I think you'll find he is an engineer if I remember correctly so his pipes should at least be well made for a good smoke, good luck.

banjo

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Lotta miles, but a lotta potential! The Cumberland goes great with the overall design. Happy resto'ing.

May 31, 2012
Beautiful!
Reminds me of a tulip,

the subtle flare rim tip.
And I love the patina,

a well-loved pipe most obviously.
A guaranteed good smoker I'd say!
Congrats!
:puffy:

K

klause

Fish, I saw your thread on the Calabash - nice pipe - glad its an enjoyable smoker.
This pipe does indeed appear to have been smoked almost to death, but I hope there's still some life left in it and the inside of the bowl is not to bad - we'll see. It was the shaping, indeed like a tulip, that grabbed me (and the fact it was a chance to get a Getz), beautiful lines and shaping - elegant simplicity, and gorgeously understated - I would have loved to have got my hands on this new - it captivates the eye, and holds it.
To be perfectly honest the only thing that is going to happen to this pipe is that it going to get cleaned, as best I can, then smoked. The damage, in all it's glory, will be there for all to see - scars to be worn with pride. Someone loved this almost to death, but I'm hoping to coax a little more life out of it.
For less that a tenner it's worth the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.