PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danb77

Lurker
Sep 19, 2017
I can reach for haunted bookshop right out of the jar or tin and smoke it. Some tobaccos such as frog morton cellar cannot b smoked so quickly. They need to dry out or they wont smoke good or at all. I have been taking tobaccos like tis and spreading what Im gonna smoke out on a piece of paper and drying it for a half hour or so and it works just fine.

My issue is sometimes I want to smoke one of these not so ready tobaccos and dont have a half hour to wait so Im sorta forced int a different tobacco. So my question is how can I make an entire ounce of tobacco ready to smoke out of the mason jar? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. If I dry out a whole ounce and put it back in the jar will that work? Or will it dry it out to much or mess with the flavors? Thanx!
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization and correction.

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
A few seconds in a microwave will dry it out, or putting it under an incandescent desk lamp for a little longer. Trying to dry it out on a piece of paper wouldn't work for me now, the humidity is almost 90%

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
And putting it back into a Mason jar is the way to go once it's at the right moisture. If you overdo it (unlikely) just add some fresh tobacco, jar it with the other and in a day or so it will equalize.

danb77

Lurker
Sep 19, 2017
Microwave? wow I would not have thought of that. Any base line time? Im sure each tobacco would be different but whats normal?

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I am learning that I like my tobacco crispy. Wet is NOT good for me. There are some suggestions about the microwave and a paper towel. Must try it I suppose. It is so dry here that... no, that is another story...

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
So my question is how can I make an entire ounce of tobacco ready to smoke out of the mason jar?
My simplistic, redneck, pragmatic and realistic idea: find a dark closet, rub that stuff out, and leave it on a plate for an hour.
It should be drier, unless your place is humid, in which case you should use an oven at 150-170 F for ten minutes.
Putting it near a de-humidifier works great also.

Dec 28, 2015
I usually microwave anywhere from 5 to 10 seconds. It depends on what you prepare it on. A microwave safe saucer for instance does not dry it out as much as if you lay it on a paper plate or other absorbent surface. Just experiment for what suits you best.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I've probably posted on this 5 or 6 times already. I dry out most of the tobaccos I smoke at least a little bit, and I dry it just before I load-up a bowlful so the rest of it can stay moist in storage. I use the blow-dryer depicted because it is a hobby dryer: quick heat, but low velocity so tobacco doesn't go flying around my desk. The tobacco is contained neatly in a small foil bread pan.

61wgamjqefl.jpg

41ptcqjbrkl.jpg

These things are my most important smoking accessories after matches and a pipe nail. I don't understand why people prep their tobacco any other way. 5 seconds and you're good to go!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Microwaves, while actually 20th C. Technology, work just fine in the 21st C.
There's so much variation in tobacco's original moisture level and huge differences in humidity levels depending on where you live, that any one person's recommendation for timing may be miles off, or just right, and anywhere in between.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Or if you can't wait, pack lighter. Give the wetter blends more room to get oxygen. Though I do prefer bone dry tobacco, the wetter blends can be smoked right out of the tin or jar.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
If you have a typical 50g tin then I would suggest tipping the lot out onto a tray or plate, spread it about evenly and allow to air dry for an hour or so or until you feel it is just right. Then just pack it all back into the tin...just so long as you will smoke it within a couple of months your tobacco will be ready to smoke when you are.
Regards,
Jay.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Is that a lime? What is that for?
I grabbed a photo of the product from an online retailer. I suppose the lime was placed there for scale since those pans come in a variety of sizes.
I should reiterate, the blower is not a hairblower. This is a great, low velocity heater.

txpiper07

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2017
So I just dried my tobacco out for a solid 40 minutes before smoking it, and can’t believe the difference it made. Much drier smoke and pipe, my tongue feels much less worn out, and as I near the end of the bowl I’ve only had one relight (down from 5-7 per bowl with this same tobacco!).
I also think I can taste the sweetness of the Virginia’s a little more, but that may just be in my head..? Does proper drying change the flavor of the tobacco or how you perceive it on your palette?

I can only speak of my own tastebuds, but when dry and sipped slowly, I get a lot more of the natural flavors and sweetness. But, I've seen some people say the opposite is true, and I cannot argue with that. I prefer my aromatics to be slightly moist, and my twists can be moist also, because they don't bite at all. But, Virginias, VaPers, and Englishes, I like to be on the dry side, packed a little tighter than normal, and smoked much more slowly than the other blends. But, experiment, not everyone is the same, and some days I'll even try new things also. It's always good to test it for yourself. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.