PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
My mothers father died before I was born, so I never new him, and had only heard about him and seen his picture. For some reason my mother never talked about him much, and she seemed to have been estranged from both her parents and her own brother, so I never got to find out too much about that side of my family.
After my mom and dad died, my dad was last about 15 years ago, we brought back many boxes of personal papers and stuff. I had thought we went through most of it, but when getting the Christmas stuff down form the crawl space, I came across a box that didn't look familiar to me. There was some electrical lamp stuff on top, but underneath there were quite few envelopes, and folders and such. One of the items was a small 7x10 loose leaf binder that had about 12 sheets of paper in it that had all come loose from the rings. The paper looked old and had a lot of typewritten small papers glued onto them, and a few had written ones too. The small papers had little poems or rhymes on them that were written or typed by my moms father. I never heard her mention anything about this, but the fact that she kept it must have shown that it meant something to her. All the little poems are signed with his initials, or name, and are dated 1919/1920. Most of them are just cute little verses, but one of them caught my eye as i saw the words "Tuxedo pipe tobacco". So I took a pic to post here, with an old roached out tobacco tin I got cheap on ebay, along with a pipe that's probably a little newer that the writings, but still looked appropriate.
About the pipe: this old Kaywoodie was recently gifted to me from generous forum member Tim (rsuninv). It's a really cool old Kaywoodie panel pipe with a push tenon and a drinkless 4 hole stinger. I think it's probably from the late 1920s. I think some of the top of the bowl is missing and it needed a little clean up and finishing on the stem and bowl top. I just thought it looked about right for the little verse and the tobacco tin. I did some research, and Tuxedo tobacco was advertised in the early 1900s and had many sports and public figures in the ads, including Ty Cobb. It did come in little glass jars, but to find one that's affordable now is pretty hard so I went with the old tin.
Hopefully I'll find some more things out about the grandfather I never new, as there seems to be some info on family history I found too. This was all gathered by my mom years ago, long before Ancestry.com. I think I've got my work cut out for me now.... :(
img_02281-600x514.jpg

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
What a find Orley, glad it's a little something for you, I was fortunate to know both my Grandparents. Grandfather on my Mothers side harked from England, tall thin, a whirlwind in the fields, I am the only grandchild out of 68 grandchildren that could do like him, put both hand together and cup and make a popping sound while whistling , took me a long time to learn but I was enthralled watching him. Again it's a little piece of him. Glad for you.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
What a find. Thanks for sharing with us.
And a great Kaywoodie to boot. Very generous of rsuninv.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
It's funny how a small thing can connect us to people we never knew. My Father's Dad passed away 5 years before I was born but my Dad had some old recording of Grandpa giving lectures at AA meetings. Just being able to put a voice to the pictures I had seen of him made me feel so much closer to him. Enjoy your journey learning more about your Grandpa and good luck.

momeerphil

Might Stick Around
Oct 26, 2009
Great story, Orley. I never knew my Grandpa Jones who was my Mother's father. He also died before I was born. However, he is smoking a pipe in some of the pictures of him, so I feel I have some connection with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.