PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
I've been piping a couple/few months now and have finally had my first what I would imagine to be a "perfect" smoke. Sadly though, I don't remember which pipe I used or the type of day (it was just starting to getting chilly outside), but it was with Captain Black regular and it was absolultely HEAVENLY! No bite, no whatever other flavors intermixing...Just the pure mellow deliciousness of the Captain in every puff from start to finish.
It's only been that once, all the smokes since are back to being the burnt-nutty taste... But I think the Pipe Gods may have gifted me with a bit of forsight (or perhaps more aptly, fore-tasting) of what I can come to expect when my pipes (all my pipes have been bought new, unsmoked) are properly broken-in.
The other really cool thing that came from that one perfect smoke is now I know that "burnt nutty" flavor is actually the briar of the pipe being broken-in AND if there's any nasty bowl coating I know the flavor of that too.
There's really quite a lot of nuance to pipe smoking and I'm thankful for that "perfect" smoke because now I know what to expect, I'll know when I'm getting closer to it and I'm no longer discouraged with what I originally thought was what I'd just have to get used to (that burnt nutty taste).

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
Namuna, feels good when it all goes right! Hang in there. Clean and rested pipe - just dry enough tobacco - a good pack - good light - slow smoking - pipe smoking nirvana!

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
A while back in the 90s, there was a time when I smoked nothing but Captain Black (White), and I remember well having a number of very memorable smokes from this blend. The trick was barely perceptible sipping, nursing along a cool smoulder, and a range of flavor profile would emerge, both on the pallet and in sniffing the bowl. Since then I've gone on to different blends, mainly Latakia blends. But I always remember those early days with Captain Black White. It was the blend that got me started, and let me know that pipe smoking was way more than just a pastime or cigarette substitute, but rather a delightful way of life.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
I think we've all had those. For me personally I'm so out of it and letting it happen I don't realize it until after it is gone. Wouldn't know where to start in making it happen.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Ragu I'm with you on that FM Cellar. I have a great smoke frequently with it vs other tobacco's.

Status
Not open for further replies.