PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Supposed to get 1-3 inches. Growing up in England and Wales, where we were stuck in our house for seven days once because a big snowdrift wouldn't allow us to open the front door (it opened out; the house was 450 years old), it's pretty funny to see when we get half an inch of snow and all the schools close, half the businesses close, the kids are all out trying to build little three inch snowmen, and you see a car in the ditch at every other mile marker.
My personal record is I saw seven wrecks happen on the same day, not counting all the abandoned cars in ditches.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I remember a snow storm in Jacksonville Fl in 1987. 1/2" of snow brought the city to it's knees for three days, over Christmas. Under that snow was a layer of ice and there are countless bridges in the city. Would you drive under these circumstances, with FL drivers? Obviously no one has any equipment to deal with snow.
We lost power for a day. My house ran out of heating oil. I got out of bed, and my feet hit the hardwood flooring and I yelled! There was ice in my toilet. I spend much of Christmas day siphoning heating oil out of my parent's tank and carring it in a 5 gallon bucket to my tank next door. If you ever need to do this, don't suck the tube too long. Heating oil does NOT taste good.
Today, I sit in a well insulated house, listening to my new furnace, enjoying scattered parts of the yard with remains of snow, looking forward to going over the river and through the hood, to Grandmother's house after my family has monkey bread for breakfast, then opens presents.
Peace on Earth and Good Will to all of my pipe friends on this forum.
Winton

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I know what you mean about the cold floor issue. The 450 year old farmhouse I grew up in had no heat. At first, we used the wood-burning stove, then put in a fireplace, but we couldn't keep a fire going all night. To this day, and I'm 48, for the first twenty minutes after I get up, I tiptoe. Finally traced it to that cold morning floor growing up!
Can't wait to see the snow this afternoon. Might go out and make my own 3" snowman :)

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
No snow, or threat of snow, here in Austin. Clear, sunny, blue skies, and nearly 60 degrees.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
In Texas 1-3 inches of snow and a temperature below 40 is pure chaos! Cars will be spinning out into the ditch and there's not even enough snow to make a snow midget. :rofl:

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Over the river and through the hood :rofl: My personal record is seeing 47 cars in the ditch and median in one day after a big snowstorm. That was traveling through Wyoming and Nebraska.

Radar is showing snow is out over Breckenridge and Mineral Wells, wont be long now !

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Wow. Here in central Ohio, they are calling for 6-12". It never pans out that much, we will probably get rain. But, if we do get the 6-12", that will be more snow that we got all of last winter. Nice.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
47?? DANG! I remember we got some actual snow here about four years ago, and it seemed like half the people in my apartment complex, kids and adults both were trying to build snowmen. The snowmen were pretty funny, like the first time the Stars hockey team made the Stanley Cup and a lot of people tried to make Stanley Cup hats. None of them knew what it looked like.
Glad I don't have to drive in the morning, with my ultra high performance summer tires, but that wasn't nearly as scary as driving in snow and ice in my first car, which was a motorbike. Eep.
Hey guys, check out the pics of my awesome custom Zippo my bro made me for Christmas!
Custom Zippo

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Most wreckage I've ever seen was the blizzard of 95 and 96 in northern VA. I actually drove to a gig in that mess and I lost count.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
SNOW!!! Grand Prairie off 1382 Beltline between I-20 and I-30. Wonder if I'm quick I can make a three snowflake midget snowman! :D

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Down here in Alabama we have the three flake rule.

If three flakes see any snow they close everything...

Starting with the Interstates....

Which means if you drive on the Highway and have a wreck your insurance won't pay....

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
When it stops snowing I'm going out back and making my mighty 3" Texas snowman. Wish I had a way to take pics and one of them little pipes they sell at the other kind of tobacconists.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Actually got 2" or so here in Plano. More in Allen and Frisco. Roads were clear, though so dammit I had to go to work. Should get a hard freeze tonight, too, which will kill the frickin mosquitos.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I have a measured 3.5 inches on the ground. Started to build my mighty snowman of doom, but I don't own a coat that's made for 28° and said screw it. Good point about the mosquitos; I HATE those frigging things!

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Police just reported they responded to 346 accidents today in just Fort Worth; that doesn't include Dallas or the accidents where the guy was able to drive off without the police being called. Damn.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
People down here realy need to stay off the road if even one snowflake touches it. They really don't understand that a vehicle's handling changes when the friction between the tires and the road goes away.

Status
Not open for further replies.