PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Finally getting around to twists and have three on the way.
1. Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Black Cherry Twist

2. Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Rum Twist

3. Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Sweet Maple Twist
I had not intended on getting all cherry, rum and mapley, but if descriptions are to be believed, they won't be cloying and I happen to like these three flavors. Rum seems to work for me with C&D's, so there we are. I am looking forward to them, as they are supposed to be strong. So far, HH Old Dark Fired is the only variety that knocks me on my butt. Virginia and Burley/Dark Fired sound like a great start.
If I love these, what should I get next? What do YOU think are the best ones out there? Inquiring minds want to know.

Jan 8, 2013
Mayfair, the Rum Twist is FREAKING fantastic! I usually only smoke it in a clay. I like the old fashioned feeling I get from that. I'll watch a Revolutionary War movie, or another historical movie, when clays were common, and kick back and travel back in time. Also, I don't chew, but I did try a small amount just a couple times, and the Rum Twist is delicious. Be careful though, the twists do indeed kick like a mule. Eat something first.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Ha! Thanks for the warning. I may heed it. :wink:

Have you tried any others of note?

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I like rope tobaccos, and have tried a few, but so far my favorites are Rum Twist and Sweet Coconut Twist. I do smoke some Maple Twist from time to time too. I like the fact that the flavorings are quite mild if even noticeable at all, but I feel the Rum is the one I notice the flavor in the most.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I'm a big fan of brown bogey and tried the black Irish but haven't pulled the trigger on flavoured ropes yet. Guess I should!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
The rum twist pretty much just tastes like tobacco, my favorite flavoured one is coconut, it has a tea kind of taste, and brown bogie I find to be my favorite besides the coconut. I've found after smoking the bogie the nicotine doesn't affect me like it used too

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Black Twist XX is by far my favorite at the moment. Tastes like char broiled beef.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
+1 for Brown Bogie.

I have been smoking SG Brown No. 4 Finest Kendal Twist.

I also enjoy the Rum twists & all of SG's & G&H's unflavored twists (available in the U.S.A.), though have not tried the other flavored twists.

If you want your ass kicked, gut punched, & head stomped by Vit N, try Lil' Brown Smoke Shack Cotton Boll.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I have tried Brown and Black Irish x, maple, sweet whiskey. Brown Irish X is by far my favorite of the bunch as I find that the flavored ones have not much flavor at all not sure why though.

I haven't tried the rum or cherry, but I am a rope lover as well. If ODF gives you a kick, then you'll want to tie yourself to the floor when you smoke these. I'd hate for you to fall off, ha ha.
Currently, I've been slicing some coconut twist and adding it to a pinch of Molto Dolce, to get the benefits of room note along with a small dose of nicotine.

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
I've tried rum and coconut but can't detect topping in either of them. Good hearty smokes though, great tobacco.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Ropes are my favorite.

If ODF gives you a kick, then you'll want to tie yourself to the floor when you smoke these. I'd hate for you to fall off, ha ha.
My thoughts exactly. If I rated nicotine on a scale of 0 to 100, I'd put ODF around 50 with ropes near 100, but it's difficult to say exactly how nicotine will affect different individuals. That said, if you like ODF, I'm hopeful that you'll enjoy these ropes as well. I just recently tried ODF (review to come), and it has a very hearty flavor. While I wouldn't say it tastes like the ropes, I would say that someone who enjoys ODF probably would enjoy the ropes as well.
I have not tried the cherry, but the rum and maple are very, very subtly flavored. I couldn't tell much difference between Happy Brown Bogie (unflavored) and the Rum Twist.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
I'll be curious to hear your impressions of the Black Cherry as I bought some of this a while back but have not tried any yet.
I liked what one person suggested for smoking it: put a little ribbon cut above and below with a few thin coins held in the middle.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
If I love these, what should I get next? What do YOU think are the best ones out there? Inquiring minds want to know.
I forgot to answer the most pressing question!
Essentially, thereare two main genres of ropes in the Gawith & Hoggarth / Sam Gawith line: the black and brown.
Brown Ropes: Nicotine powerhouse, robust, earthy/leathery tobacco flavor with cigar-like notes.

Black Ropes: Same rope as the brown, but stoved so some nic is removed and flavor is deepened. Still some nicotine, but not quite like brown ropes. A deep, earthy, charred flavor--almost a charcoal / barbecue taste. When I first tried the SG XX it was probably the most unique tobacco I'd ever tried in that it just didn't taste like anything else.
To my palate, the flavor of the black ropes might be more of a shock or an acquired taste.

On the other hand, the nicotine of the brown ropes can be a turnoff as well, as it can be too much for a beginner. The flavored ropes are of the brown variety.
There are also the thicknesses of the twists.

Irish Twist - a big twist about the size of a large cigar.

Happy Brown Bogie - medium sized twist.

Pigtail - very small, more for chewing, though it could be smoked.
Gawith and Hoggarth offers all 3, while I think I've only seen the equivalent of the Irish and Pigtail with Sam Gawith, and the SG Pigtails are generally only sold on websites more geared toward chewing tobacco.
Try both, and see what you like. I love the brown ropes, and those are often my go-to smoke, but the black ropes are a bit more of an unusual change of pace that I'm only in the mood for every once in a while.
You have ordered three of the flavored versions of Brown Irish X. You could try that unflavored version if you are sensitive to flavorings, and for convenience, you may want to purchase Brown Twist Sliced if you find the preparation a hassle. It's just the sliced version of Brown Irish X. (GH's Happy Brown Bogie is a smaller version of Irish X, so it should be near identical in flavor, though it's possible that because of the smaller gauge there is more wrapper leaf, and a slightly different flavor profile.) In the brown rope genre, you'll also probably want to try Samuel Gawith's similar Brown No. 4 Kendal Twist.
As for the black ropes, G&H offers a Black Irish X, and SG offers the Black XX. I have only tried the SG Black XX, but from what I've heard the GH Irish X is a bit less stoved. I believed the X and XX refer to stoving times--XX has been stoved twice, X, only once.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Thanks for the input and great info guys. I was VERY close to getting the Brown No.4 Kendal Twist. Next time.... :) The ODF was heavier on the N for me cause I was inhaling almost every hit in a chimney bowl. Got about halfway through when I realized I didn't need anymore for a while. I've backed off the inhaling big time and retrohale quite a bit now with pleasant results. Thanks again. Now I have my Christmas list !!

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
There are a lot of cats smoking pipes in this thread.
And yes, inhaling would make quite a bit of difference! I've never inhaled pipes or cigars. From what I understand, the nicotine hit is quite a bit different when not inhaling--more relaxing than stimulating.

northernpiper

Lurker
Oct 24, 2016
Frist off... I love Vitamin N. Be it in a strong cigar or pipe. I always thought I had a reasonable tolerance. I've smoked the strongest of the strong cigars, Opus XXX, Camacho Corojo, Ashton VSG... dipped Cope for years in my younger days... but the Ropes still let me know who's boss!!!
I find SG Black XX stronger than any of the strong flakes or RR and SG Brown #4 KT with the GH Ropes a notch stronger vitamin N wise. As far as flavour, the SG#4KT is my personal favourite with the Black XX a close second. I also enjoy a 50/50 blend of the two. Rest assured none of these are my daily smokes and I definitely only smoke small bowels.
As far as inhaling pipe/cigar smoke you'll feel the Nic way way more as the rate of Nicotine absorption via your lungs (alveoli) is much higher than your mouth (buccal mucosa). Given the amount of tobacco that one smokes (compared to a cigarette) when burning a pipe/cigar... that's pretty hard core to inhale it. I recommend you stick to the retro hale at the most... but you're all big boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.