Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Getting Real About This Pirate Business.

(32 posts)
  1. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I decided that any real pirate needed a peg leg and a parrot on the shoulder, so I headed off to the local sawbones to have the essential work done. Here is my story.....

Actually, I alluded to a medical issue in another thread and a few questions and comments were posted, so I thought I'd share the details, for good or bad, because you are my "digital" (no pun intended) friends.

I've had some diabetic issues for several years. Due to extreme fear and loathing of our "health care" system, I've been slow to embrace their counsel. I skated by for a while but fate caught up with me.

I've had aggravated callouses on the balls of both feet behind toe #4 (the piggy without roast beef) since my 2nd year in the army, due to badly designed combat boots and miles & miles of abuse in the infantry.

About 2 years ago, I went on a hike with family that turned into an unexpected death march. I finished that day with a nasty sore on the right foot where the callous had previously resided.

After visiting the doctor, I learned that this wound was what they called a diabetic foot ulcer. A rather common but serious occurrence. Diabetes often comes with diabetic neuropathy, which, due to decreased blood flow and nerve damage, lessens feeling in the extremities. It often leads to these open wounds, as the subject can't even feel when a wound develops and only sees it later, if vigilant when changing or bathing and such. Those same conditions also slow healing, a double whammy.

We began treating the wound. It got better, it got worse, a two year battle. I was mentally prepared in advance for the worst outcome. My research on the matter informed me that 14% (1 in 7) of these cases resulted in some loss of limb.

About a month ago, the accompanying infection went hostile. It resisted the strongest antibiotic treatments applied and began to worsen. Two weeks ago, I reported to the hospital.

The joint behind that toe was devastated and infection was headed down the bone at a leisurely pace. The hospital tried a last minute Hail Mary approach, pumping every antibiotic known to man through me, around the clock, some times 2 or 3 at a time. Finally it was determined that the noninvasive approach was not working.

The next day, Doctor Satan went in and cut out toe #4, the joint behind it and as far up that bone as it took to remove infected bone, kind of a little pizza wedge out of my foot. More antibiotics and a day or two of wound vacuum treatment, they squeezed toes 3 and 5 together and stitched her up. Healing seems to be progressing at an acceptable rate. I am on an additional 5 weeks of IV antibiotic therapy at home to ward off any remaining bone infection issues.

I get to be at home and have the IV supplies delivered for self treatment, which is MUCH nicer than another month of medical solitary and round the clock torture.

Now, my right foot is narrower than my left and I can only count to 19 without dropping my pants.

As far as possible outcomes, I feel fortunate.

Some take-aways. Diet and exercise. Do it. A pipe in one hand and a sausage wrap in the other is not a balanced diet. Scrolling the mouse wheel does not constitute cardio activity. My physical activity was slowed by the 30 years of foot issues but I could have done more, also. Fuckin' hindsight.

Don't play around with blood sugar, cholesterol, triglycerides and blood pressure. If your quack says you got issues concerning them, shut your pie hole and take notes. Unless you relish the possibility of living life like Lieutenant Dan.

Now, I am part of a true national epidemic and crisis. We are collectively digging our own graves, one forkful at a time. Contrary to the opinions of our national leaders, ketchup is not a vegetable.

On top of all that, I didn't even get a parrot. My cat won't even hang out, as she's scared of the crutches...

Be well and pipe on!

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 2 months ago #
  2. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I have to take in four thousand calories per day and had a total knee replacement at eighteen. Does that count?

Glad your on the mend.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 2 months ago #
  3. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, of course it counts. You're the CAPTAIN! Did you get a parrot?

Posted 2 months ago #
  4. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Damn!! Good luck and godspeed. I'm stumped at what else to say.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 months ago #
  5. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Stumped"... ahhh, you a funny man....

But, seriously, thanks.

Posted 2 months ago #
  6. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jay, don't just stand there, toe the line!
    Here's hoping for a speedy and complete recovery, with no more limb trimming.

Posted 2 months ago #
  7. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can only count to 19 without dropping my pants
    Holy crap, Jay

In all seriousness, take care of that foot brother, I hope it mends well and soon. And do whatever else you need to do to stay healthy.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 months ago #
  8. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

I hear that Rum makes you heal faster! Hang in there and do what the docs tell you.

“The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, I must follow if I can
    Posted 2 months ago #
  9. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I thought you were being a little scarce lately. No wonder! Sounds like you have a great attitude though and let's hope that's the end of that. Tough way to lose weight.

Diabetes is no joke though. A guy who works for me had his leg amputated right below the knee last year because of it. He's doing fine, walks with a little limp but is able to do pretty much what he did before at work. He's definitely more serious about his medication now.

Tim
    Posted 2 months ago #
  10. ryeguy

ryeguy

Login to Send PM

The line about counting to 19 had me in stitches.

Hope you recover quickly.

Posted 2 months ago #
  11. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Holy sh**! That is some serious stuff, and you have a very good attitude. I don't think I would. I'd be whining and bitching for months. If you were about to appear on stage, I'd say "Break a leg". Instead, as to getting well, shake a leg.....

Watch some comedy while you recover, which I hope is full and soon.

John

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  12. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

Did you get a parrot?

I've actually been debating a toucan.

Posted 2 months ago #
  13. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

4000 calories a day, is that toucan for company or dinner?

Posted 2 months ago #
  14. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jay, that's a major bummer. I'm sorry to hear you had to go through that. May your recovery be speedy and complete...and may you never have another such serious complication.

And as others said, I'm impressed with your ability to have a sense of humor about it.

Far be it from me to attempt injecting humor into such a situation.

I'll just say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1dCAQfkqyA

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 2 months ago #
  15. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

4000 calories a day, is that toucan for company or dinner?

He'd be my Fruit Loops finder.

Posted 2 months ago #
  16. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice, Brian!

Cap'n, I found this one for you for less than an estate 904. Just follow your nose...

Posted 2 months ago #
  17. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

So does losing a toe lower one's I.Q. when thinking on your feet?

Posted 2 months ago #
  18. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not sure about the intellectual ramifications just yet, but the narrower profile will likely increase the chances of fitting my foot in my mouth.

Posted 2 months ago #
  19. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

but the narrower profile will likely increase the chances of fitting my foot in my mouth.

Posted 2 months ago #
  20. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

Just follow your nose...

It always knows!

Posted 2 months ago #
  21. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

That line about counting to 19 to made me laugh out loud.

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us." ---Hank

"Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man..." --- The Dude
    Posted 2 months ago #
  22. cossackjack

cossackjack

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can only count to 19 without dropping my pants

No need to drop your drawers. You can count to 22 using your pocket abacus.

Speedy recovery.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
    Specialization is for insects!" - Robert Heinlein
    Posted 2 months ago #
  23. charf

charf

Login to Send PM

Hope the recovery goes well Jay!

Posted 2 months ago #
  24. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You're a mess, Jay. Yeah, can relate, though not personally. I had to go through hyperbaric treatment for a couple of months for a really nasty & persistent big-toe ulcer a couple of years ago, & the guy who was in the other tube most of the time had it even worse than I did, eventually losing the big toe on his right foot when it Just Would Not Heal, hyperbaric therapy or no. Me, I was lucky. They eventually got the ulcer healed & I went through surgery to straighten the foot; no problems with it at all since, thank heaven. Really glad the important parts of you remain with us!

BTW, for those of who you don't know about hyperbaric tubes, essentially they look a little like an iron lung (yes, serious), except with the head enclosed too. (You don't get claustrophobic, since the tubes are transparent except for the end panels.) They slide you in, then seal it up & pressurize the thing to roughly two atmospheres for about 2 hours, & you do that 5 days a week for about 2 months. It's an interesting experience, but the increased oxygenation significantly improves the healing.

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  25. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As a diabetic myself, I find this post very interesting. Weight loss, diet and exercise got me off diabetes medication about 4-5 years ago. It's a daily battle I don't want to lose.

Jay, Wishing you a speedy and successful recovery. Diabetes is a very serious condition that shouldn't be ignored. Hopefully other diabetics who don't take it serious begin to do so. Thank you for posting your story. Good luck and take care.

Posted 2 months ago #
  26. haparnold

Hap

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Glad things seem to be getting better, Jay! Don't be afraid to lean on us if you need anything.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 2 months ago #
  27. timelord

timelord

Login to Send PM

Good luck with the recovery.

There’s a chap near where I live who is often seen walking with his cat draped across his shoulders.

Posted 2 months ago #
  28. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jay, Godspeed on your recovery and rehab. I feared that you had a diabetic foot when you commented on a prior post. I'm sorry you had to have the surgery, but it is unfortunately necessary.

I’m trying to come up with a set-up for an amputee joke, but I’m stumped

Neal
    Posted 2 months ago #
  29. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh, just cut it out, Neal......

B

Posted 2 months ago #
  30. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

He had me in stitches!

Posted 2 months ago #
  31. pylorns

James Foster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Daaaaamn. No wonder we haven't heard from you lately at the pipe club meetings. Get better!

Posted 2 months ago #
  32. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’m trying to come up with a set-up for an amputee joke, but I’m stumped

That's just toetally wrong!

Posted 2 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   oldgeezersmoker, irishearl, cortezattic, greeneyes, jpberg