PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I'm very curious about getting into smoking rope tobaccos. I'd like some suggestions on which of the GH ropes I should be trying first? I am a Virginia or VaPer smoker predominately and not afraid of a little nic hit.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Both Black and Brown Irish Twists will give you an idea of what our forebearers smoked. Strong and full tasting ropes for sure. Those are the only two I have smoked. I am thinking about getting some of the Happy Brown Bogie because of the burley in it.

Good luck choosing.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
I love the ropes I've had so far, which are all varieties of the G&H Brown twist. I think my favorite so far is the rum twist. I have a sample of coconut that I am going to try, and the maple I had was quite good. In fact, these are my favorite tobaccos that I have.
The brown bogie is quite good as well, and may be stronger than the Irish X (see reasons below) (though I'm not sure I could tell a difference), but all of them are high on the nicotine scale. The black twists are said to be a bit less strong because of the stoving they go through, but I haven't yet tried them. It looks like the SG Black XX is just now back in stock at P&C and SmokingPipes, so I may have to avail myself of that sometime soon.
The flavored twists are flavored VERY mildly. The topping only imparts a slight sweetness to the rope, which I enjoy. The rum flavoring gives the twist a bit richer feel, which I really like. But ultimately, the flavored twists aren't so different from unflavored ones, except for a hint of sweetness.

I am thinking about getting some of the Happy Brown Bogie because of the burley in it.

If you're referencing tobaccoreviews and other sites, I'd caution you: these seem to be wrong. I made a thread about it a while ago:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/gamph-twists-made-of-va-or-burleyky

It seems both the S&G the G&H ropes are the dark African & Indian Virginia leafs, if we take their descriptions as truth. Other sites list a wild variety of ingredients: dark fired Kentucky, cavendish, burley, etc.
The brown bogie is the exact same twist as the brown Irish twist, but it is just a smaller diameter rope. Glynn Quelch of GQTobacco suggests that this produces a slightly stronger smoke due to more wrapper content.
That said, these don't taste like your typical Virginia leaf by a long shot!

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
One thing I would add is that ropes are almost like a separate variety of tobacco by leaf, since they feature the Indian and African Virginia leaf so prominently. It's a bit like some of the SG / GH flakes (1792 flake is comprised of Tanzanian leaf), or in ribbon blend like DH Royal Yacht, but it just presents differently in a rope than in a flake.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
It's a bit like some of the SG / GH flakes (1792 flake is comprised of Tanzanian leaf), or in ribbon blend like DH Royal Yacht

Well I'm a fan of both SG and GH flakes and am halfway through a tin of Royal Yacht that I am enjoying greatly so I'm sure I'll enjoy the rope.

pipebeast

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2016
Has anyone chewed them? I've heard that was common as well. I'm quite curious about that as it seems very convenient.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
One thing I forgot to add was that you do have to fiddle with the preparation with ropes to get the drying time and slicing down. At least it was a bit of trial and error for me as a newbie, but after a while I've gotten the hang of it.
Has anyone chewed them? I've heard that was common as well. I'm quite curious about that as it seems very convenient.
I haven't, but I have considered buying some of the smaller pigtails (made more for chewing) to smoke--they come in something like 30-40 flavors!

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
I have yet to find a rope that I didn't like. Just grab one and hang on.

I only smoke them at night, but they have a special place in the rotation. Cotton Boll Twist for the win!

Yeah, they are one of the most relaxing smokes there is.
How was the Cotton Boll Twist strength-wise?

Cotton Boll is the strongest blend that I've ever smoked. Almost pure rustica tobacco. But, a deep rich flavor the fullest. Makes me sleep like a baby. After a few nights of Cotton Boll, the other ropes just... eh. I always have to skip a night after smoking CBT to keep from becoming a junkie, haha.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Cotton Boll is the strongest blend that I've ever smoked. Almost pure rustica tobacco.

Interesting--I wasn't aware of this variety. I looked it up and it seems Mapacho is the traditional South American name for the pure Nicotiana rustica leaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.