PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
So my pipe smoking up to now has been mostly English blends with an occasional vaper or VA flake thrown in. Don't know why I never paid any mind to burley before. Now I can't get enough of the stuff! It started off with bald headed teacher and butternut burley from 4noggins. Then Solani aged burley flake. Recently I tried Perrettis 1072 and am totally floored by it! All natural, pure sweet nutty taste. What are some other mostly unadulterated blends are a must try?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
A fun exercise would be going through the C&D list. They know their burleys. MacBaren's Old Dark Fired is a popular blend. I just smoked Bold Kentucky and the jury is still out for me. BK is very srrong in the nic department and, to me, very one dimensional.

The burley classic is Prince Albert which is on the very affordable side of the scale from the artisan blends.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
C&D is what you want to venture into, as they do burley blends right. I'm a big fan of Morley's Best, and Epiphany.
Billy Budd is good too if you like cigar leaf in your blends too.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I tend to think of those codger blends as being heavily cased. Am I wrong about that? Is PA different?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
ericusrex: P.A. is made of Piedmont Brights (Va), a flavored and sweetened Burley from Kentucky, and 10% Turkish leaf. ...Oh yes, and PG.
derfargin's advice about C&D is spot-on IMO. And Mac Baren Mixture Scottish Blend is a very Burley forward mixture.
And what discussion of Burley can omit Russ Ouellette's Classic Burley Kake?!

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
The burley classic is Prince Albert which is on the very affordable side of the scale from the artisan blends.
C & D's Old Joe Krantz is mouth watering good!
And do not forget Sir Walter Raleigh! I have been on a MAJOR smokefest on it...

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've been studyin the basic burley blend now as an integral part of my first FULL year's pipe smoking and haven't found one that I didn't find enjoyable, if not immediately, soon thereafter.

I've learned not to be hasty about my judgement, and to try a blend over time and in a variety of pipes.

These codger style burleys are versatile because they're enjoyable by themselves and most of them will lend themselves to your own mix allowing you to tweak your flavors or extend your more costly blends. Diluting with a nice codger burley helps me to stretch my Va flakes AND kinda mellows them out a tad bit, when I feel like that.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I like Old Dark Fired. For something completely different but delicious, I'll second the Classic Burley Kake recommendations.
Coincidentally, we're smoking CBK during this weeks tobacco crawl with Russ Oullette.(http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pax-tobacco-crawl-with-russ-ouellette) You might want to check out some of the recent CBK reviews and comments on the blend.
I wasn't expecting much but ordered a half pound before I finished the tin. Think you can get it bulk as well.
Tried Wexley Burly slices but wasn't impressed.
Pax

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Would like to try Carter Hall since it earns so many accolades here, but it's not available in Europe; does Pease, C&D, or MacBaren make anything resembling it?

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
pipefish- is online ordering a possibility for you? Smokingpipes.com, pipesandcigars.com, 4Noggins, etc would all have it.
In particular, 4Noggins is known for getting things where they need to go internationally.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
+1 Old Joe Krantz. I also like Billy Budd, Big 'n Burley and other C&D burley. For a burley variant, I have come to really revere Tobac Manil Semois, easily worth the $25 for the package; it's not everyone's "thing," but it's about my favorite. I received first a sample and then a whole package from Forums members -- thank you!

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
It's a VA/Bur and not a pure Burley, but I'd definitely recommend Solani's Silver Flake (660). I even prefer it to the Aged Burley Flake.
It's been a while since I've tried them and I certainly haven't tested every one, but the C&D Burleys don't really do it for me. There's a characteristic twang to them that I don't care for. But lots of other people love them.
MacBaren's Old Dark Fired has already been mentioned, but the Burley London - Golden Extra - Norwood family is worth exploring too. London is most Burley-centric of them and is unfortunately no longer produced, but you may find some secondhand. (I got a pound recently here on the forums for no more than the original retail.) Golden Extra and Norwood add more VA to the mix, with Golden Extra still being quite close to the Burley London. But I rather like Norwood too and think it's underappreciated. It's a simple tobacco, but pleasant, easy to smoke, and cheap. I've had no problem burning through a couple 100g tins since I first tried it about 6 months ago.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I'm enjoying a bowl of C&D's Burley Flake #3 now, and it is quite enjoyable. It is a burley base with some virginia and perique thrown into the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.