PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papatoad

Lurker
Aug 24, 2012
Just thought I'd throw this out there...

I'm just getting into this pipe hobby and what an education it's been.
I'd like to know more about the estate pipes. I have NO idea what I'm doing

but I really like the 1/4 and 1/2 bent pipes. I don't care about the collectivity

of the pipe I'm just looking for a good smoker.
I have some briars and some pipes I made from Honey Locust (they seem to be OK)
I'd like to add a dark wood to the collection but don't know enough to look on ebay etc.
Anyone want to give a confused pipe wanderer some ideas?
By the way, I've already spoken to EJames...that man has serious class. What a Gentleman!
Thanks for taking the time to read this and hope some of you get a good chuckle....
Edit: Moved to PIPE TALK, L.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
The best rule for buying pipes (IMHO) is buy what appeals to your aesthetic sensibilities.

If you don't like the way it looks, it won't matter how good it smokes... You won't like it.

You can worry about drilling and the pipe cleaner test when you decide to venture into the so called higher grades.
The most important thing is that you like the way it looks.

Just like you, I used to buy only bent pipes, now almost exclusively straights.

Your tastes will evolve... That's when you know that PAD has taken its hold on you.

:puffy:

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Yes, Lawrence is 100% correct. Your tastes will change and evolve over time. I have been thru many phases in my pipe smoking career (both in tobaccos that I smoke and pipes I collect). That is part of the fun of pipe smoking, in my opinion.

Aug 1, 2012
Buying pipes early on is quite the journey. I am the odd one out here in that looks are secondary to smoking characteristics when I'm reaching for a pipe in my collection. There are some I hate to look at but they smoke so well I can't put them down.
I have 2 main strategies I have used when buying estate pipes.
1. Buy a big name pipe. A mid to top grade Savinelli will usually be amazing, same with Brebbia and others.
2. Buy lots of pipes and spend time restoring them. That's how I have found 3 out of my 5 best pipes. Sometimes you will get a surprise when a Dr. Grabow or an Aerosphere will be one of your best smoking pipes. The great thing about this strategy is that if you find a pipe that doesn't like you, you can sell/trade/gift it to somebody else and they might love it.
Welcome to the forum and happy hunting,

Sou

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Having a mentor in the hobby is a big plus and it sounds as if you have found one. Continue to visit here as the breadth of knowledge is remarkable. If you have a B&M near to you time spent there will be invaluable.

Don't be afraid to experiment. That's how most of us developed our preferences.

Welcome and beat of luck.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Check with Lonestar and Briarbird too. Both of them have some unique ideas and can make a good pipe. P&C and smokingpipes.com both sell estates, too. One of the first estates I ever bought (I think it was my second pipe) was a '48-55 Kaywoodie and it is a great smoker and a favorite pipe.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
My criteria is bowl size. Small bowls just don't make the cut for me. Bent or straight, a large thick walled bowl can always be half filled or half smoked but a small bowl just does not produce the flavor quality or depth that a large bowl delivers. Once you smoke a Savinelli Hercules or a Nording freehand there is no going back. Livin' large is always the way to journey in pipe smoking.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
+1 on what lawrence said.
i started on bent, and mostly only smoke bent. i have a few straights but 90% of my time smoking is bents.

i tend to agree with mjteenen- bowl size is important, my bowls must be able to at least fit my thumb, if not then i dont buy it. no small bowls for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.