PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Assisting my wife with a health situation, I have stopped nervously shopping for and buying

pipes, and "resorted" to the pipes I have accumulated, mostly over the past four or five years,

but going back almost 40. Surprise, surprise, I'm rediscovering what great pipes I've managed

to select. Because I have more than a few, some are just getting truly broken in and coming

into their own. When I was a caretaker two or three years ago, I joked to my wife that she had

driven me to Cavendish, not that that's all I smoke, but because it sounds funny. Anyway, sometimes

getting close to the pipes you own is a real treat, "as good again" as searching for them and buying

them. Take this campy rusticated La Rocca poker ... and so on. Do you ever get a kick out of

renewing your appreciation of the golden oldies on your rack?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Well put. I find that hardly a day goes by that I don't look at a pipe in the rack and wonder to myself where and when did I get that. It's like rediscovering a comfortable pair of shoes in the back of the closet.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The logic is that the satisfaction of the pipes I own should end my interest in purchasing others, but it hasn't

happened yet. I guess if it is so much satisfaction to discover the old standbys, I feel another one is in order!

(Or more likely, on order.)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What a terrific topic! Sometimes the thrill of the hunt has blinded me to the bounty that I have. As I've pulled back on further acquisition - with the occasional lapse - I've been renewing my acquaintance with some pipes that got lost in the chase, with very gratifying results. A La Normandy bent author provides a very enjoyable smoke, time after time. A giant Frasorteret offers a mellow 2 hour smoke. Lots of very fine, if humble, pipes that I haven't visited for some time are rewarding me with enjoyable experiences. That long rest has probably been beneficial for them as they were put away cleaned and ready for service.

Status
Not open for further replies.