PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsmarriner

Lurker
Feb 24, 2014
So I stopped smoking when I left Afghanistan in the summer of '14. I even threw away my pipes because the wife didnt like pipes, yes I know it was stupid. I have missed a good pipe since coming home. Now thanks to an upcoming divorce I am getting back to what makes me happy. I wish I hadnt tossed my pipes even though they were not expensive compared to some I really liked them, I had a nice Nording and a Butz-Choquin that had an amazing finish to it. So now I am searching for pipes that were very close to what I had. Already ordered another Nording. I bought 2 Grabows in a BM store just to have somethign to smoke. I look forward to having a nice rotation built up over the upcoming months. If anyone has recomendations on moderately priced pipes (150 or so) of good quality, let me know. Thanks.
Jim

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Welcome and congratulations
Give a look at the estate pipes at smokingpipes.com or on this forum, there are alot of nice ones for under that price

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I would keep an eye on eBay, as you can grab some really good deals. The estate market is a buyers market right now. I rarely buy pipes, and even more rarely buy them off eBay, but I had to pull the trigger this past weekend on a 2015 Dunhill Cumberland Pot for under $200. There are some really good pipes out there around the $150 range. You should have no problem finding something you like. Good luck in your pursuits and welcome back.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hello, and welcome, Jim!
Are you anywhere near a good store?
There is also a person or two who send pipes out to folks in need. Sorry don't have the link.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
js', welcome back. Boy, it's been a rough road for you. From your experience, I'd say, if you quit smoking your pipes, pack them away but never get rid of them. I kept mine over a long spell of not smoking them, and then when I wanted a bowl, there they were. I always kept them around and visible, as decor. Glad I did. Such a vast inventory of pipes to think about. For starters, I'd roam around the estate pipes at smokingpipes.com, and look at the Stanwells at pipesandcigars.com, and look at Iwan Ries' site, and 4noggins. By the time you have done that, you'll be on the trail of something, even if not at those sites. Many enjoy and use ebay, but I consider that as pleasant as mosquito bites. Also, watch the pipe sales offerings here on Forums. They go from pricey to downright charitable. In the meantime, of course lay in a few cobs. Dagner offers a good cob with an acrylic stem, or of course MM cobs and Old Dominions are always sturdy smokers.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
If you score some Ebay pipes consider sending em off to Stem and Briar for service, very affordable
http://www.stemandbriar.com/resotration

jsmarriner

Lurker
Feb 24, 2014
@ Cosmic. Thanks brother, I will have to say congratulations to the divorce thing. It was my idea to split up, and it is definitely the right call.
Everyone else, thank you for all the warm wishes and welcome. I remember really enjoying learning about the hobby while I was over in Afghanistan by reading on here. I know I will be doing the same again.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
I adore my Savinelli Roma 320KS and my ROPP Vintage Superior Paneled Rhodesian. The 320KS has nice, heavy walls and feels good in the hand. The ROPP is a small French pipe with a delightful horn stem. Both are in the $100-120 range, if I recall correctly.

Jan 8, 2013
Welcome back, and welcome back to it. Good to know you're getting back to something you enjoy. We're glad to have you here.

jsmarriner

Lurker
Feb 24, 2014
Figured that I would try to show a picture of the Nording I ordered. I am so stoked, I cant wait for it to show up.
14907034_1533697859980363_4083148005624069615_n.jpg

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
It sucks you got rid of them. Welcome back to the pipe smoking community.
You also might want to pick up a couple cobs. Also I've got to say Savinelli's make great affordable pipes.

jsmarriner

Lurker
Feb 24, 2014
Got the new Nording in the mail today along with 2 arro tins. currently smoking it and it is doing just fine. breaking in nicely and doesn't have a real problem staying lit. I am very happy right now. So glad I bought another Nording.

Jan 8, 2013
So glad I bought another Nording.
If I lost all my pipes, say a natural disaster like a tornado or earthquake or flood or an asteroid destroyed them or theft from a burglary or pipe stealing goblins took them to appease the dragon they worship or.... ok that just got weird really fast. Anyway, if I lost all my pipes one way or another, I'm 100% certain a new Nording would be the first I'd purchase :D

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I haven't smoked a 'new' or previously unsmoked pipe except for MM's since I started, and although I've acquired several by chance and by intention via ebay auctions, I don't smoke those.

I smoked one or two new pipes back when I was a young man, and seem to recall that they were hot and bitter.

I know, that's why you break them in.

I've been able to sample pipes from a wide variety of sources for a mere pittance relative to the cost of a similar stable of "new" pipes, and although they might require a good cleaning upon arrival, they're mostly 'ready to go' otherwise.

I've got pipes that are older than I am, and I'm 68. These old pipes are special to me. They hearken to the age of more universal pipe smoking for one thing. I like that connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.