PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
So, I've looked around for this a bit under the beginners' section, but to no avail.
My question is: any tips to getting a nice even burn? Whenever I go to re-light, I scrape out the ash first. I find that the tobacco burned in a conical fashion before going out, leaving slightly burnt tobacco around it.
So, I'll knock down the stuff that's slightly burnt from the sides, light, and tamp. But it never tastes as good. Should I scrape the slightly burnt stuff away and dump it? Seems like a waste of tobacco to me. Or is there a way to get an even burn? I've been told before that a pipe should get a nice ember in it, like the end of a cigar.
I've gotten better about ribbon cut tobacco burning. Tonight, I rolled and stuffed 2 coins of Escudo, trimmed the excess and rubbed it out, placing it on top. I started off with a nice, even burn, but found that it tapered off to a point somewhere in the middle of the bowl.
As a note, the particular pipe I was smoking tonight has close to a dozen smokes in it. could break in or lack of cake be a problem?

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
If you rest the pipe on the left side of your mouth then the right side of the bowl will burn down faster, and if you rest the pipe on the right side then the left side of the bowl will burn faster. The key is to smoke the pipe from the direct center of your mouth.
:rofl: :nana:
Okay, I'm just teasing. I think it has to do with how the bowl is packed, how fast/hard you draw and how hard you tamp the bowl and how often. Of course I could be just talking out my butt, because I've never really paid attention to the burn in my bowl. I just smoke it until its all ash. :mrgreen:

swampmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I agree. Also I do alot of tooling. Like any other good fire demon, it takes some poking and prodding to agitate it's temper or it will die. It needs food and air to live. Remember, a tempered healthy life. You're burning tobacco, not a pipe or your tongue or coal.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Bottom line? Slow down. Suck less and less often.
Bingo.
I never dump ash if I have to relight. Tamp and light. You don't have to tamp that often - I tend to overtamp, myself, but there it is.

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
it makes sense to me about slowing down. It's hard not to draw often because the tobacco smoking experience is just so good. I can see where drawing to fast would cause the conical effect and it does happen to me also. I have learned to slow my cadence down and keep my bowl cooler and as a result get a better burn. Patience IS a virtue.

tpollock

Might Stick Around
Oct 1, 2013
One thing that has helped me with this is to take it easier on the lighting, especially the charring light. When I first started I was bad about sticking my 90 deg. lighter right down on top of the tobacco trying to avoid burning the rim. If you use a lighter rather than matches turn the flame down and draw the fire down into the bowl rather than pushing the flame down into the bowl. Draw lightly while moving the flame around the bowl and get a nice lite even charring light. At first I was probably charing half way down in the center. This helped me a lot, hopefully it will help you as well.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.